• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kill Whitey!!

Wow, 1 minute after waking up, all I can say is "wow"...

Why do people on the run (especially for 16 years) not leave the country?!

Sure, you can still get extradicted, but I would think living abroad would be a lot less stressful than hiding in plain sight in the US. Move to England, Australia or New Zealand etc where they speak the same language. Or hide in some awesome spot in Sumatra or the tropics or NW Canada.

i suspect the details will trickle out, but the thought had always been that he did leave the country. i believe there was a confirmed sighting in london in 2002.

i suspect the details will trickle out, but the thought had always been that he did leave the country. i believe there was a confirmed sighting in london in 2002.

That is correct, at least according to the article.

if anyone is interested in this sort of thing, the book "Black Mass" is a terrific read on Bulger, and specifically his collusion with corrupt FBI agent and boyhood pal (and currently imprisoned) John Conolly.

I'm actually more surprised they caught Whitey than Bin Laden. But don't think there's not a contingent of Southie folks who aren't still supporting Whitey. Just like when Gotti would get cheered by his people in Queens, Whitey still has his people in Southie.

Agree that "Black Mass" is an excellent read. I picked it up on a sale table at Barnes and Noble last summer and really enjoyed it.

I'm actually more surprised they caught Whitey than Bin Laden. But don't think there's not a contingent of Southie folks who aren't still supporting Whitey. Just like when Gotti would get cheered by his people in Queens, Whitey still has his people in Southie.

There are people who support the way the mob ran the neighborhoods. It is popular in a lot of NE/NY cities to hear- "When the mob ran this neighborhood...there was no crime, etc- they only bothered the people who bothered them." For example, Whitey didn't allow heroin use/sales in Southie, wouldn't allow drug sales to kids, kept out other criminals, etc. That's sort of the old school way to think. You hear this kind of stuff in Providence constantly.

I'm stunned he was in the US. There were stories of him being in Italy as well.

US is surprising enough, but Santa Monica??? Apparently 4 blocks from the beach which would put him right near the Pavillion. I'm guessing he thought he was home free and got lazy.

It sounds like most of those who ran Whitey are retired or dying off. That's why the push lately.

I just saw like three status updates on fbook of people who live in Southie upset over this. All with a "Sad day in Southie" type post.

There are people who support the way the mob ran the neighborhoods. It is popular in a lot of NE/NY cities to hear- "When the mob ran this neighborhood...there was no crime, etc- they only bothered the people who bothered them." For example, Whitey didn't allow heroin use/sales in Southie, wouldn't allow drug sales to kids, kept out other criminals, etc. That's sort of the old school way to think. You hear this kind of stuff in Providence constantly.

wow, that's a really dumb way to think

I'm stunned he was in the US. There were stories of him being in Italy as well.

I'm stunned to see you posting on this thread. I half expected to hear that Whitey had been posting on message boards under the moniker RJKarl.

wow, that's a really dumb way to think

you hear that a lot - certainly parts of NY. but in bulger's case, it's complete bunk. the idea that he stopped drugs from coming into the neighborhood or didn't prey on the innocent is garbage.

I'm not sure it's old school or any school. But I think that I can tell you why sympathies for the mafia persist, in Boston and elsewhere. The mob in some neighborhoods is a constant presence, and the police are not. The mob gets things done, and the police often don't. Some people simply benefit from the mob. They both keep a kind of "order," and the mob is still around when the police are not.

It sounds like most of those who ran Whitey are retired or dying off. That's why the push lately.

Crazy! I've read several books on this and kept up with it over the years. RJ, how far was the hotel i stayed at in Santa Monica from where he was caught?

Back