• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kiss the Ring Part 2

socaldeac

Reaction score
The emporer has done a heck up job hiring Walters, Clawson, Manning, Bresky, and Muss. I believe this may be our best coaching staff ever! I think our story, great academics, great facilities, great campus and great coaches is beginning to be quite the differentiator. SOCALDEAC communicated this 5 years ago, much like the downfall of soft 17 (Grobe).

Also, if any Coach in America deserves to win a Natty, Tom Walters does, he gave a kidney to a player!

Laslty, I really enjoy listening to our coaches talk, they sound intelligent and makes you PROUD to BE a DEACON!

I am not going to kiss anybody's ring, but I am very happy for Tom Walters. I enjoyed watching him coach over the weekend. He seems to relate well to the players and they seem to be a real "team" for which I give Walters credit. The Boys in the Boat is an excellent book and making that required offseason team reading is an inspired move. I don't know the man at all but have tremendous respect and admiration for what he did for young Mr. Jordan. Glad to see success coming his way.

So the consensus is Manning was a good hire? I thought jury still out...

Are you claiming that Manning was a bad hire?

Were you expecting an NCAA tourney bid in less than the 3rd season after the [] disaster?

Did you expect Manning to bring in more than one lottery pick (WF's first in 7 years) in his first two full recruiting classes?

Aw FFS, can we not just put a pin in the Manning debate till October?

I thought Wellman only hired baseball, basketball, football and the others were spearheaded by someone else. Regardless, we've had a great season across the board and I wouldn't be surprised if Wellman gets some recognition for it. This is the best season in Wake Forest sports across the board, probably ever. One of only three teams (Florida and Florida State) to win a bowl game, make the NCAAT in basketball, and advance to a Super Regional in baseball.

Are you claiming that Manning was a bad hire?

Were you expecting an NCAA tourney bid in less than the 3rd season after the [] disaster?

Did you expect Manning to bring in more than one lottery pick (WF's first in 7 years) in his first two full recruiting classes?

No I said jury out

Always a good year when we dominate NC State in athletics. Tiers.

No I said jury out

Technically, the jury is still out on every coach. Jim Grobe won WF's first ACC football title in 26 years and took the Deacs to the Orange Bowl and eventually a series of uninspired seasons led to him being forced out. That said, hard to understand why anyone would think that WF basketball is not trending in the right direction right now.

Wake BB definitely going in the right direction, though it may take a step back this upcoming season with Collins gone. Collins is a major sucess story. 3 star to possible lottery pick in two years.

Technically, the jury is still out on every coach. Jim Grobe won WF's first ACC football title in 26 years and took the Deacs to the Orange Bowl and eventually a series of uninspired seasons led to him being forced out. That said, hard to understand why anyone would think that WF basketball is not trending in the right direction right now.

Saying the jury is out doesn't mean that Wake basketball isn't trending in the right direction. It is a recognition that Manning has not had time to accomplish what we expect out of Wake Forest basketball.

Meanwhile, Clawson effectively has achieved what we expect out of Wake football already.

The message is more mixed for Walter. He has been at Wake a long time (without looking, I think this was his 8th season?) and has, to my recollection, only two NCAAT appearances. The other way of looking at it is that as new facilities have come on-line, he has two consecutive NCAAT appearances.

It's so eternally Wake Forest for someone to take a single season in a sea of mediocrity and declare the athletics program "a success".

In the real world of collegiate sports, program success is measured in decades; not single seasons.

Back