• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report BC Eagles -- Wednesday 6 pm ESPNU

As a junior Chaundee hasn't lived up to his hype coming into the program. He was supposed to be a possible starter as a freshman. He might be the best athlete on the team I suppose, or have the best physique, but he hasn't shown he's got "game". Coaching or other excuses frankly don't change that.

I thought Chaundee looked really really stiff running down the court at BC. Not sure if he was having back issues or what, but he literally looked like 40 year old me jogging down court. I have a hard time challenging the one single bright spot of our entire program - strength training, so I simply won't allow myself to believe that we have strength trained Chaundee into oblivion. Hoping he just had a tight back and he will be fine going forward. But watch the tape (if you can stomach it), he was struggling.

We had the Childess/Downey debate in February 2018... So before Chill had even finished 2 years.

What is funny is that it was basically the same posters involved... Biff even made a throatslasher joke.

I love Taron, but the comparison w/ Childress (so far, at least) is a pretty good one, IMO.

Their first two seasons are pretty similar... Aside from the fact the Downey led Wake in minutes his SO year (and his shooting suffered a bit - 34% from 3, 37% overall). When CP3 came in for Taron's JR & SR season, his minutes took a significant hit and he was able to play a more specific role, which led to his metrics improving.

No idea if Chill will see a similar thing happen (doubtful, considering his role will probable INCREASE w/o Wilbekin & Woods), but it's not a laughable comparison. Taron is (deservedly) beloved because he played on some very good Wake teams and hit some big shots... Childress isn't even done w/ his 2nd season, so there is a lot that is yet to be written.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/taron-downey-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brandon-childress-1.html

Would also comment on the Downey as a leader comment... Downey overlapped with Josh Howard (as a JR/SR) & Chris Paul. They were the "leaders" of those teams.

In general, the perception of Downey is helped by the fact that he was on some of our best teams ever.

Taron is loved because of talent and toughness.

It's silly to try to compare the numbers of guy who played with great teams to a guy who played with crap teams. If you have the ball all the time on a crap team, you will score more and are likely to create more assists (although as the starting PG, Taron did have more assists than Brandon)

In sheer talent, it's not even close. One of the most dramatic differences (other than D) is that Brandon drives and falls away versus creating contact like he should be doing.

We can just agree to disagree on this one.

No biggie. I don't think anyone really cares, nor will anyone change their mind.

You mean people here don't change each other's minds all the time?

DAYUMMM

Taron was better than lil Chill

not WAY better, but there is a noticeable gap

if you think otherwise, that's your right to be wrong; we'll just agree to disagree

Taron was better at hitting wide open jump shots. That's about it. They're really not that similar as players.

It's weird that even the most strident anti-manning posters still kind of blame the players for not developing.

Wright has talent. If he had gone somewhere else, gotten good coaching and good player development, he would be playing a lot better than he is now.

TITCR

Back