• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report for Notre Dame - Saturday 3 pm ACC Network

What was up with that last out of bounds play? Any ideas on why Childress was taking it out? Was he supposed to be the shooter? If so, that's the most common 3 pt shot-to-win-a-game play imaginable. I figured Wilbekin would cut through a few screens for an open look. He was on fire all game and it was senior day. Instead we had out shortest player take it, a mistake that ND easily covered with their biggest body.

With 3.6 (THANKS keeper!!), the person who inbounds the ball is very dangerous. He can make the first pass and then go to his spot easier than trying to get open in the scrum. The defender will be off balance and with his back to where the passer is going.

Many times the play with that much time is a pass to a potential shooter with the inbound passer being the immediate second option. Sometimes that player is actually the first option.

Inbounds foul. Inbounds again, foul. Wake has 1.5 seconds to turn a 1&1 into 3 points. After the Farrell shot Wake lost. Team was given 8 minutes to make a single basket & failed.

I'm not even sure what Childress was trying to do on that pass - seemed like he was afraid that if he tried to call a timeout they'd call 5 seconds on him so he panicked and tried to throw it off Geben's leg?

The play actually worked alright, two high picks with Wilbekin under the basket waiting. So you get a switch on the first pick then you pick down for Wilbekin and get a 2nd switch. That did happen and Wilbekin was wide open crossing half court to come back for an easy pass from Childress. If he takes the easy inbounds pass Wilbekin has the ball and a mismatch, albeit with not much time to work with. Seemed like the picks just took a second too long to develop and Childress panicked.

I don’t think there were any timeouts left.

I'm not even sure what Childress was trying to do on that pass - seemed like he was afraid that if he tried to call a timeout they'd call 5 seconds on him so he panicked and tried to throw it off Geben's leg?

The play actually worked alright, two high picks with Wilbekin under the basket waiting. So you get a switch on the first pick then you pick down for Wilbekin and get a 2nd switch. That did happen and Wilbekin was wide open crossing half court to come back for an easy pass from Childress. If he takes the easy inbounds pass Wilbekin has the ball and a mismatch, albeit with not much time to work with. Seemed like the picks just took a second too long to develop and Childress panicked.

PhDeac is correct; Chill could not call timeout because we had none left

we had none left because the coach called his last timeout right after being given a 5 minute stoppage of play (reminiscent of Prosser (RIP) calling his last timeout as Maryland was about to go to the line at the ACC tournament; Gary Williams, realizing we had no TO's remaining, told his guy to miss the shot so we'd rebound it with a live clock 94 feet from our basket; outcoached again, the WF Way)

if the play was to get the ball into Wilbekin 50+ feet from the basket, moving away from the basket, knowing ND had a foul to give...that's not a good play

of course this was all set up by shooting a bunch of 3's and not even attempting to get into the bonus in the second half, and not scoring for 8 minutes, and allowing their best shooter to get a shot off to win it, and...

we may have more talent than other teams next year, but not in the coaching box

Ha, I just assumed we had one more because Manning never calls timeout. I think Wilbekin was the safety option, not the primary - I'd guess we wanted Crawford bouncing off the switch then maybe hitting Childress once he ran by Geben, although Craw would have just jacked it up. They were just going to foul immediately though so even if Wilbekin catches it near half court we'd just be inbounding again. We were pretty much fucked when the damn clock didn't start. We suck at every level - Duke's clock operator always lets the clock run a little extra when it helps the team, starts it on the button when they need it... We sabotage our own fast break. It's amazing.

Ha, I just assumed we had one more because Manning never calls timeout. I think Wilbekin was the safety option, not the primary - I'd guess we wanted Crawford bouncing off the switch then maybe hitting Childress once he ran by Geben, although Craw would have just jacked it up. They were just going to foul immediately though so even if Wilbekin catches it near half court we'd just be inbounding again. We were pretty much fucked when the damn clock didn't start. We suck at every level - Duke's clock operator always lets the clock run a little extra when it helps the team, starts it on the button when they need it... We sabotage our own fast break. It's amazing.

a well-coached team would not foul Wilbekin immediately in the backcourt; they would foul him as he crossed halfcourt which is why passing it to him in the backcourt is a non-starter

in the last 8 minutes of the game we shot (and missed) 6 3's, a turnaround 2, had 3 turnovers and got fouled one time

fewer than 1 shot attempt per minute

Took some time away from the boards after that loss... Had to. Holy shit, that one hurt. Makes no sense given it was a meaningless game, but wow.

I have defended Manning in pretty much every instance of us falling apart down the stretch because we've largely missed wide open shots and that isn't on him.

Well, as others have said, at some point it has to reflect on the coach. And when you add in the fact that we NEVER get to the line more than our opponent (which is comical in home games), there is something wrong with the offense.

We have nobody that can get to the basket (aside from maybe Crawford)... Childress & Wilbekin are too small to finish and Woods isn't athletic enough.

The Crawford turnover where the ball went off of Woods was painful. Then, we play good defense on Ferrell for 4.5 seconds before Sarr inexplicably leaves him wide open to run back to the basket. The clock issue after that was so bush league... I mean, it is unlikely that we would have scored (even though Woods hit a 3 after the whistle), but I remember thinking, "I bet we don't even get a shot off here." And for Manning to use the last time out was just awful. I understand wanting to set up a play, but he had like 5 minutes to do that while they were messing with the clock.

Just an embarrassment all around. I fully expect us to get destroyed by GT this weekend... We have nothing to play for and the end of the ND game is probably a catalyst for the bottom to just fall out.

Manning is not helping himself. Next season has turned into a "win or else" scenario and that rarely works out well. I am excited about the players we are bringing in, but it isn't going to mean much if the existing roster is gutted between now and then.

The collapse was so pathetic, but anyone who has suffered through WF basketball this year could see it coming. When Crawford forced up a contested 3 when WF was up 7 with like 6 minutes to go, I knew the game was over: no field goals in the last 8 minutes against a bad defensive team. Really impossible to fathom.

Can't ever remember a team that so regularly wilts late in close games. All that falls on the coach. That said, Childress, Brown, Sarr, Woods and Crawford (later in the game after the forced 3) all missed absolutely wide open take your time easy threes in the last 5 minutes. Gagging on wide open looks doesn't fall on Manning, but failing to get the ball to Doral and failing to get Crawford to take the ball to the basket in the last eight minutes falls on DM. There is a lot of talk about what a great big man coach Manning is. Probably accurate. But who the F is coaching WF's backcourt players? All of them have regressed. All of them completely fall apart late in close games. Just amazing to me with the experienced staff of former players that knew how to take control of games back in the day, that not one of WF's guards have a clue how to manage late game situations.

Can accept that the loss of JC and Dinos caused a major problems with WF frontcourt depth that was going to make this a difficult season, but the 11-18 (4-13) record is not solely attributable to the loss of JC and Dinos. WF has an experienced backcourt filled with players that Manning recruited and coached for multiple seasons; yet, they continue to be lost when the game is on the line. Either Manning did a poor job recruiting (there several teams in the ACC alone with lower rated recruits in the back court that have out performed WF this year -- Clemson, State, VT, ND, BC) or poor job coaching them or both. Undeniable.

Last edited:
The collapse was so pathetic, but anyone who has suffered through WF basketball this year could see it coming. When Crawford forced up a contested 3 when WF was up 7 with like 6 minutes to go, I knew the game was over: no field goals in the last 8 minutes against a bad defensive team. Really impossible to fathom.

Can't ever remember a team that so regularly wilts late in close games. All that falls on the coach. That said, Childress, Brown, Sarr, Woods and Crawford (later in the game after the forced 3) all missed absolutely wide open take your time easy threes in the last 5 minutes. Gagging on wide open looks doesn't fall on Manning, but failing to get the ball to Doral and failing to get Crawford to take the ball to the basket in the last eight minutes falls on DM. There is a lot of talk about what a great big man coach Manning is. Probably accurate. But who the F is coaching WF's backcourt players? All of them have regressed. All of them completely fall apart late in close games. Just amazing to me with the experienced staff of former players that knew how to take control of games back in the day, that not one of WF's guards have a clue how to manage late game situations.

Can accept that the loss of JC and Dinos caused a major problems with WF frontcourt depth that was going to make this a difficult season, but the 11-18 (4-13) record is not solely attributable to the loss of JC and Dinos. WF has an experienced backcourt filled with players that Manning recruited and coached for multiple seasons; yet, they continue to be lost when the game is on the line. Either Manning did a poor job recruiting (there several teams in the ACC alone with lower rated recruits in the back court that have out performed WF this year -- Clemson, State, VT, ND, BC) or poor job coaching them or both. Undeniable.

all of this

and don't forget the epic defensive collapses in several games last year - defense allowing ~1.8 points per possession over the last 5 minutes of several games

total comprehensive failure to close out games

In other news, dook doesn't score a FG in the final 7 min, get only 5 fts, outscored 15-5 to end the game and loses to VT last night. Now this happens to regularly to us, but it happens to everyone.

In other news, dook doesn't score a FG in the final 7 min, get only 5 fts, outscored 15-5 to end the game and loses to VT last night. Now this happens to regularly to us, but it happens to everyone.

Dook pulled a Wake.

Back