• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report -- NC State Wolfpack - 8 pm Tuesday (Uh oh) Raycom

Blowing a 22-point lead in under 10 minutes is very hard to do.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/accxtra/ed-hardin-state-falls-in-a-familiar-place-where-so/article_980e8674-1941-11e9-8f8b-07959bc0ed75.html#1

some great quotes from Ed:
You could see this one coming from a mile away. State has won all of seven games in Joel Coliseum and for years struggled to win in old War Memorial, a smoky old tobacco barn that forced teams to play in second-hand smoke against angry Baptists.

Nowadays, the barn is cleaner but hardly a welcoming place.

It’s dark and drafty and smells like motorcycles and the noise seems to echo off empty seats, creating an odd atmosphere for visiting teams.

Here in the coldest corner of Tobacco Road, we could see it coming from a mile away.

State was without their point guard. Wake was smart on defense, pressuring the ball handlers, especially in the first half. That led to State taking (and missing) a lot of bad shots.

State was missing it's most valuable player (IMO) but give the Deacs credit for winning a game they invariably lose late. Doesn't mean Manning is still not an awful coach but "any port in a storm" as the saying goes.

Blowing a 22-point lead in under 10 minutes is very hard to do.

2 unexpected happenings last evening:
1) Wake took a 22 point lead.
2) More surprisingly, after blowing that lead Wake was able to win the game.

Almost every WF fan knew that we would lose the lead. It was only mildly surprising that we lost it in record time. But very few, I suspect, thought we would regain the lead and win. That may be the most encouraging aspect of the win.

Nice article but from one who attended games in the old Coliseum, I really appreciate the home court atmosphere it offered the Deacs. I think it held around 8,200 but it would really rock for the Deacs in ACC games. I miss that atmosphere.

In the mid-60s, North Forsyth versus East Forsyth drew almost as many fans if not more than WF. Great memories.

Nice article but from one who attended games in the old Coliseum, I really appreciate the home court atmosphere it offered the Deacs. I think it held around 8,200 but it would really rock for the Deacs in ACC games. I miss that atmosphere.

Donald Ross bat signal.

I quit watching when we were up 18 or 19 as i knew we'd blow the lead and I didn't want to watch that.
I watched most of the first half (until that moment, i'd probably watched 10 game minutes of Wake BB combined this whole year)
NC State was clearly missing a their PG and wasn't very fluid, and it's not that Wake looked great, but they looked competent and I'm surprised that this team lost to the teams they lost to....hopefully they are just getting to develop come chemistry together and will be able to put together a few decent games
my phone updated me with about 4 minutes to go that it was more or less a tied game and I watched the end.
I didn't see state's comeback, but it was nice to see Wake withstand a comeback and still put together a W

For those that watched the whole game and prior ACC games (i.e. the masochists among us), did Wake run a different defense that actually made it hard for the opponent to get easy buckets or was the much improved result primarily due to State missing easy shots/not having their point guard?

What surprised me was the play of our bigs. I thought Walker and Fundebrook were going to eat our bigs alive, but Sarr and Smart at least played hard and didn’t foul too much. State’s bigs may be weaker than I thought. Sarr still has weak hands but I thought he played hard.

For those that watched the whole game and prior ACC games (i.e. the masochists among us), did Wake run a different defense that actually made it hard for the opponent to get easy buckets or was the much improved result primarily due to State missing easy shots/not having their point guard?

Lots of matchup zone with lots of communication and active hands. By far best defensive effort in years. Hadnt realized State was 1st in acc and 5th nationally in shooting.

heavy 2-3 zone in the first half and solid defensive rebounding

In the 1st half we played decent zone defense. In the 2nd half the zone looked terrible as we failed to defend their top 3 pt. shooters; but our man defense was better and probably saved the day. At least we got a hand in the faces of their shooters. Over-all, it was probably the best we have played defensively except when State made their huge run. During that stretch it was almost like we were not even on the court.

What surprised me was the play of our bigs. I thought Walker and Fundebrook were going to eat our bigs alive, but Sarr and Smart at least played hard and didn’t foul too much. State’s bigs may be weaker than I thought. Sarr still has weak hands but I thought he played hard.

Agreed. I was surprised at our rim protection last night, seemed like we swatted a lot of shots and made their guards uncomfortable going to the rim. Haven't seen that in quite some time.

Wake looked like the more talented team. Torin Dorn was the only guy I saw that I would want on my team.

If State can be ranked 17 with those players, Wake should be contenders.

The problem is that despite not being well coached, Wake is missing key pieces on the court and has no depth. Doral Moore makes a lot of difference on this team.

Wake has at least three players that will play at the next level: Brown, Star, and obviously Hoard. Mucius May get there as well. But the holes in the roster and coaching hold the team back. Not enough size at PG, no good outside shooters, no inside defense.

Edited to add that next level doesn’t mean NBA

This was the first Wake game I have watched this year (A buddy of mine invited me to the game with him) I was actually surprised at the talent level, and potential, we have. Now we just need a coach.

The problem is that despite not being well coached, Wake is missing key pieces on the court and has no depth. Doral Moore makes a lot of difference on this team.

Wake has at least three players that will play at the next level: Brown, Star, and obviously Hoard. Mucius May get there as well. But the holes in the roster and coaching hold the team back. Not enough size at PG, no good outside shooters, no inside defense.

Edited to add that next level doesn’t mean NBA

Childress has played himself into a decent Euro contract. The Whites (Sharone and Andrien) will probably also play professionally.

Back