• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the Tennessee Vols - 12:30 Saturday ESPN2

I still have no idea why wilbekin and Childress get more than spot minutes to rest Keyshawn and Crawford. I am so sick of watching both of them dribble for 10 seconds and jack up a contested shot with no passes. Childress especially. Childress did it about 5 times today. He needs to be yanked every time he does that garbage. And then can’t stay in front of the guys they are supposed to be guarding. Crawford needs to be our full time PG. hopefully that will happen in ACC play. wilbekin and Childress are just bad and have been outplayed by the guards on most every other team we’ve played his year.

Actually Wilbekin played well today. He plays more under control than Chill or Crawford.

BTW, I think we should give Brown much more playing time. It's not like we might lose if he plays more.

Last edited:
Barnes is a good coach. Manning is not. End of story.

I just looked up the numbers for Crawford for this year compared to last (keep in mind that this is 12 games against no ACC opponents). His shooting percentage is slightly up (.445 from .438), although his 3 point percentage is slightly down(.327 from .346). His free throw percentage is significantly up and is outstanding (.921 from. 826). His rebounding is down a lot (2.7 from 3.8) and is at the lowest point in his career. His assists are down ( 4.9 from 5.5) while his turnovers are up (3.4 from 2.3). His current assist to turnover ratio (1.44 from 2.39) is frankly just not good for an ACC point guard with his kind of extensive experience. His scoring average is up slightly (16.4 from 16.2)

So in sum, Crawford has improved big time in free throw shooting, regressed significantly in probably the most important stat (assist to turnover ratio) for his position, regressed in rebounding despite us losing Collins and Dino, and remained pretty stable in shooting and scoring stats.

Edit: I just realized that these stats do not include today's games. So Crawford's numbers are even worse than I thought.

Last edited:
Losing Collins (and Dinos) makes getting rebounds for our guards much tougher. The opposition doesn't have to pay attention to anyone other than Moore. The open spaces aren't there for Key or Bryant. Key is down more than Bryant from 4.2 to 2.6 rpg. Numbers without context are meaningless.

Key is down almost 50% in apg- 3.5 to 1.9. His 3pt% is down by 4.8%.

Y'all can go put as much money on Tennessee as you want if you think they will get a comfortable win.

There are means out there to do that if you trust your own intuition over other models that are much more successful.

Barnes is a good coach. Manning is not. End of story.

This is true.

Manning can recruit a bit as well as coach-up our big men. Would make a fine assistant for a good coach.

Good first half, aside from the turnovers.

Awful second half.

Shitty game for a bunch of players. Crawford, in particular, was terrible. Disappointing, but it happens.

Quick defense of Childress as a shooter... Was over 50% from 2 and 46% from 3 heading into this game. He can shoot. Just an off day.

My problem with Chilldress is not his shooting, it's his decision-making. He makes really bad decisions while dominating the ball.

Important to remember that Barnes couldn’t get past the Sweet 16 with Kevin Durant.

Important to remember Barnes called out kaye at cameron.

Our timing stinks, a relatively 'local' who hate dook and can coach.

This team, led by Crawford, is a turnover machine. Needlessly throwing the ball away makes winning all but impossible.

My problem with Chilldress is not his shooting, it's his decision-making. He makes really bad decisions while dominating the ball.

Agreed. His shot selection is what drives me nuts, and today was only worse.

big difference between auditioning and leading

I just looked up the numbers for Crawford for this year compared to last (keep in mind that this is 12 games against no ACC opponents). His shooting percentage is slightly up (.445 from .438), although his 3 point percentage is slightly down(.327 from .346). His free throw percentage is significantly up and is outstanding (.921 from. 826). His rebounding is down a lot (2.7 from 3.8) and is at the lowest point in his career. His assists are down ( 4.9 from 5.5) while his turnovers are up (3.4 from 2.3). His current assist to turnover ratio (1.44 from 2.39) is frankly just not good for an ACC point guard with his kind of extensive experience. His scoring average is up slightly (16.4 from 16.2)

So in sum, Crawford has improved big time in free throw shooting, regressed significantly in probably the most important stat (assist to turnover ratio) for his position, regressed in rebounding despite us losing Collins and Dino, and remained pretty stable in shooting and scoring stats.

Edit: I just realized that these stats do not include today's games. So Crawford's numbers are even worse than I thought.

Also this year’s numbers are against poor competition whereas last year’s numbers include conference play.

I taped the game and tried to watch it. Wow, what a stinker. The inexplicable turnovers have to go or we won't beat anyone.

In a complete departure from the rest of this thread, that game left me more optimistic than most. The final margin really skews what was a competitive game, and I didn't think it would be. That's despite Crawford turning in one of the worst performances of his career. 7 turnovers was some extremely generous scoring, I counted 10 easy. Made one field goal and was awful defensively.

Given that our leading scorer was a total no-show and their starters shot almost 80% from 3, I'd have thought total blowout. Instead, we actually outrebounded a very good rebounding team. Wilbekin hit enough shots to make up for his limitations on defense, and Woods continues to thrive as a 6th man.

As expected, Doral got pushed around wasn't all that effective. He was hurt by Crawford being no threat to score as well. Not a great matchup for him, so not the end of the world. Lots of ACC teams are lean inside.

Sarr had the most interesting game. You could kinda feel that he was the x-factor in this one but he wasn't ready for it. Passing it to nobody, missing the dunk, took 3 pretty questionable shots... But he had 8 boards and you could see how tough a matchup he's going to be.

Not sure what you can do coaching-wise if your best player tanks to that extend. Obviously rebounding was the #1 goal since we never ran anyone out and everyone crashed the boards hard. I didn't mind switching it up and going zone when we were struggling in the 2nd half, but it certainly didn't work out. Mitchell with 5 more effective minutes and 1 for 1 from deep plus a steal - still have no idea why he's not getting more run over Terrance who played 5 times the minutes and scored the same number of points. Must be obvious in practice...

I also thought Chill wasn't that bad. Only 1 turnover but obviously didn't shoot it very well. Coming off 2 great games though and we needed someone to step up for Crawford. Just didn't hit a couple critical shots. But he was disruptive on defense and had as many boards as Doral. Spent a lot of time on Turner who was really the only significant Tennessee player that got shut down.

Bring that same game plan and effort without Crawford playing historically bad and we'd have been in that one at the end. Moving forward, if someone in the Sarr/Brown/Mitchell group can take one solid step forward we can play with anyone. I just don't see that improvement coming quickly enough to do anything meaningful in the ACC this year. Feels like a team that might win one more game than expected in the ACC Tourney then just miss the NIT.

Back