• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the Tennessee Vols - 12:30 Saturday ESPN2

I'm done with season tickets...

In a complete departure from the rest of this thread, that game left me more optimistic than most. The final margin really skews what was a competitive game, and I didn't think it would be. That's despite Crawford turning in one of the worst performances of his career. 7 turnovers was some extremely generous scoring, I counted 10 easy. Made one field goal and was awful defensively.

Given that our leading scorer was a total no-show and their starters shot almost 80% from 3, I'd have thought total blowout. Instead, we actually outrebounded a very good rebounding team. Wilbekin hit enough shots to make up for his limitations on defense, and Woods continues to thrive as a 6th man.

As expected, Doral got pushed around wasn't all that effective. He was hurt by Crawford being no threat to score as well. Not a great matchup for him, so not the end of the world. Lots of ACC teams are lean inside.

Sarr had the most interesting game. You could kinda feel that he was the x-factor in this one but he wasn't ready for it. Passing it to nobody, missing the dunk, took 3 pretty questionable shots... But he had 8 boards and you could see how tough a matchup he's going to be.

Not sure what you can do coaching-wise if your best player tanks to that extend. Obviously rebounding was the #1 goal since we never ran anyone out and everyone crashed the boards hard. I didn't mind switching it up and going zone when we were struggling in the 2nd half, but it certainly didn't work out. Mitchell with 5 more effective minutes and 1 for 1 from deep plus a steal - still have no idea why he's not getting more run over Terrance who played 5 times the minutes and scored the same number of points. Must be obvious in practice...

I also thought Chill wasn't that bad. Only 1 turnover but obviously didn't shoot it very well. Coming off 2 great games though and we needed someone to step up for Crawford. Just didn't hit a couple critical shots. But he was disruptive on defense and had as many boards as Doral. Spent a lot of time on Turner who was really the only significant Tennessee player that got shut down.

Bring that same game plan and effort without Crawford playing historically bad and we'd have been in that one at the end. Moving forward, if someone in the Sarr/Brown/Mitchell group can take one solid step forward we can play with anyone. I just don't see that improvement coming quickly enough to do anything meaningful in the ACC this year. Feels like a team that might win one more game than expected in the ACC Tourney then just miss the NIT.

You‘re definitely a glass is half full kind of guy, aren‘t you?

I thought there were times when Childress played fantastic defense in this game, but he was definitely pressing on offense and it wasn't working. Too much pressure trying to take Crawford's role in a game Crawford didn't look like he wanted to play in. Moore didn't get enough touches. Partially because Tenn did a good job not letting him get position, and partially because the guards didn't try to force it in to make the officials call fouls. Tennessee is a good team, and Wake didn't play well enough to beat them. Some of that is on the players, some is on the coaches. Hopefully everyone can make adjustments for conference play.

In a complete departure from the rest of this thread, that game left me more optimistic than most. The final margin really skews what was a competitive game, and I didn't think it would be. That's despite Crawford turning in one of the worst performances of his career. 7 turnovers was some extremely generous scoring, I counted 10 easy. Made one field goal and was awful defensively.

Given that our leading scorer was a total no-show and their starters shot almost 80% from 3, I'd have thought total blowout. Instead, we actually outrebounded a very good rebounding team. Wilbekin hit enough shots to make up for his limitations on defense, and Woods continues to thrive as a 6th man.

As expected, Doral got pushed around wasn't all that effective. He was hurt by Crawford being no threat to score as well. Not a great matchup for him, so not the end of the world. Lots of ACC teams are lean inside.

Sarr had the most interesting game. You could kinda feel that he was the x-factor in this one but he wasn't ready for it. Passing it to nobody, missing the dunk, took 3 pretty questionable shots... But he had 8 boards and you could see how tough a matchup he's going to be.

Not sure what you can do coaching-wise if your best player tanks to that extend. Obviously rebounding was the #1 goal since we never ran anyone out and everyone crashed the boards hard. I didn't mind switching it up and going zone when we were struggling in the 2nd half, but it certainly didn't work out. Mitchell with 5 more effective minutes and 1 for 1 from deep plus a steal - still have no idea why he's not getting more run over Terrance who played 5 times the minutes and scored the same number of points. Must be obvious in practice...

I also thought Chill wasn't that bad. Only 1 turnover but obviously didn't shoot it very well. Coming off 2 great games though and we needed someone to step up for Crawford. Just didn't hit a couple critical shots. But he was disruptive on defense and had as many boards as Doral. Spent a lot of time on Turner who was really the only significant Tennessee player that got shut down.

Bring that same game plan and effort without Crawford playing historically bad and we'd have been in that one at the end. Moving forward, if someone in the Sarr/Brown/Mitchell group can take one solid step forward we can play with anyone. I just don't see that improvement coming quickly enough to do anything meaningful in the ACC this year. Feels like a team that might win one more game than expected in the ACC Tourney then just miss the NIT.

This is actually exactly how I felt leaving the game. Good post. Lots of knee jerk reactions after the game without much real basketball analysis. When two of your top 3 players have likely their worst games of the season in the same game and you’re only down 5 to a top 25 team with under 5 mins that seems more encouraging in a long term view than all the hot takes on this thread like 22 acting like Manning is the worst coach of all time.

As a group, how about we make a New Years resolution to stop overreacting after each single game? It would make things a lot more enjoyable here.

You‘re definitely a glass is half full kind of guy, aren‘t you?

For sure. Don't get me wrong, I hate it when we suck and in no way am I happy with an NIT ceiling. At the same time, in college basketball today you have to have players first. If Manning continues his current recruiting trajectory I think the worst-case scenario is that we end up as a recurring underachieving NCAA team. I'd consider that back to what should be Wake's minimum, and would be a great launching point if we switch coaches.

Everyone can argue and go nuts after every game - the bottom line is we'd be a top 25 team easy with Collins and Dinos on this team, and considering Manning had to rebuild this dumpster fire from nothing, recruiting enough talent to cover that kind of loss is a crazy ask. Hoard looks absolutely legit, we're in great shape with more elite talent... So instead of hating every second of this season and being miserable during every game, it's much more enjoyable to take a longer term view. Moore's made a nice jump, Sarr is coming along pretty quickly, Brown will be really good. I disagree with a lot of Manning things - how we play man defense, minutes given to a 1 year rental during a down year, not benching players when they make lazy or dumb plays, etc... But talent wins in the end, and Manning's overall system is fine. I'll join the panic train if we haven't won an NCAA tourney game 2 years from now...

This is actually exactly how I felt leaving the game. Good post. Lots of knee jerk reactions after the game without much real basketball analysis. When two of your top 3 players have likely their worst games of the season in the same game and you’re only down 5 to a top 25 team with under 5 mins that seems more encouraging in a long term view than all the hot takes on this thread like 22 acting like Manning is the worst coach of all time.

As a group, how about we make a New Years resolution to stop overreacting after each single game? It would make things a lot more enjoyable here.

There's as much chance of this happening as unicorns will be ridden by leprechauns (who are holding pots of gold) to deliver your next pizza.

I really wish the reward for dribbling the ball over halfcourt and then taking a contested shot without passing to anyone would be an immediate spot on the bench

I just can't freaking stand that brand of selfish basketball and don't understand why it is tolerated

it's also tough to swallow a 0-13 run to close out the last 4:30 of the game

There's as much chance of this happening as unicorns will be ridden by leprechauns (who are holding pots of gold) to deliver your next pizza.

I know... one can dream though. Maybe I’ll ask Santa for it

I don’t have a wife yet, so who wants to let me borrow theirs for this exchange tonight?

Glad to see some humor here.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas
(I've asked Santa for a Bell Bowl win)

Gratified to have inspired not one but two tags about how terrible a game thread poster I am. Especially with only having the following five posts on this thread during the game!

He did it! Baby wilby!

What does this mean? He did exactly the same thing he always does.

FANTASTIC REBOUND and Woods nails a three. TThompson a boss

That's some defense

Dumbbbbbb

Conclusion: people that make tags are dumb.

LOL, people that bitch about people bitching about tags are bitches.

Exhibit A: DeaconSig.

Childress was probably rattled from the home break in.

Well his defense is awesome. The opposing team tried to back door him right at the goal but didn't get any shots off. Now his offense might need some work seeing that he didn't hit anyone. :cool:

Back