• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the UNC Tarheels Saturday Noon ESPN 2

Crawford with another missed dunk on 1 on 1 breakaway. Again he should have shot a layup and probably would have had an and 1. When will he learn to make the efficient play instead of the flashy one?

About the same time some here will understand that single play, with ten minutes left in a game is not that important. Or the same time people on this board don't lose their shit every time our best player makes a mistake.

of course all kids make mistakes and of course they're not all Danny's fault. But are you willing to give Manning a complete pass on the last 2 minutes?? Poor use, or not using, timeouts has been a consistent issue for Manning.

Most of the people on here have some decent basketball knowledge, so continued superiority complex doesn't further the discussion.

Not a full pass no, but I put the last two minutes HEAVILY on the players’ execution than Danny. If Wilbekin makes a good entry pass to Doral, he gets an and one dunk 9/10 times. That’s a 5 point game with a little over a minute rather than a 2 point game.

The only thing I see logically that someone came blame Danny for is time out usage but that’s still controversial. We had one left and the only time I see that you could’ve used it is when Doral went to the line, just to give him a short rest. Again, Danny has had bad end of game coaching stints as a Deac but today shouldn’t be seen as one of them. Player execution at the end of the game was really bad.

What gets old is the arrogance of most of you to pin a game on Manning without any real basketball knowledge to back up your argument. College kids make mistakes in games. It doesn’t have to be on the coaches every single time. Every single coach in the NCAA has their players make mistakes (every single college bball game, actually) that was on the players, not them. Wilbekin not getting the ball in to Doral with Williams on him in the post is on him - not Danny. No way to spin that logically. Key heaving the three literally happened before manning had any chance to call a timeout. Key didn’t try to turn around or slow up - he shot a runner from 30 feet. Not saying he would have called a timeout if he did slow up but still didn’t have a chance.

Manning has had bad in-game coaching days. Today was not one of them.

I agree and disagree. Manning put us in position to win this game. However, the last 10 seconds were a total unmitigated disaster. Nothing prevented Manning from calling a timeout at any point until KW heaved the 30 foot shot. As the coach, it is on Manning to determine, as the play unfolded, whether we were going to get a good shot or if he should call timeout to set another half court play. He chose to let the play unfold. He chose not to use another timeout. I don't know what the play call was - but it didn't appear that our team/players were in a position to succeed just before the desperation shot. Manning should not get a pass because he didn't have a chance to use a time out. Win or lose it just would have been nice to get a decent shot rather than just completely squander an opportunity to beat the Heels on their home court.

GO DEACS!

On a positive note I caught a nice buzz for 3pm on a Saturday.

I think not using TOs in end games situations is the philosophy of Self at Kansas. Perhaps DM is simply following his most recent mentor?

Again, lol. This statement really shows how much you have the “Manning hate” blinders on.

You have the Manning love blinders on. This is a pattern that we have seen over and over the past 3 plus years. We fold like a cheap lawn chair down the stretch. Most of the blame goes to DM. When is the last time he has drawn up a great play or made a clever coaching move in a tight game? Name ONE. He’s a bone head coach.

Loose ends.

After Crawford's missed dunk we later went on to take the lead (so not really a Strickland moment) so not much behind that theory (not saying I wouldn't have preferred a made layup but we came back from it).
Moore 2-5, yes 5 shots. Our guards either get him the ball or they don't. 5 shots says they don't.
More on Moore - Late in the game he had a great pass out of the post immediately the Crawford who hit the open 3.
Woods and Chill 2-10 from 3
Manning is far from a great game coach but as stated above, every single player decision is not his. Woods never should of taken that shot. Crawford and MW were both open for a game winning 3, and they were 6-11 from 3 today, the intelligent play would have been to have passed the ball.

About the same time some here will understand that single play, with ten minutes left in a game is not that important. Or the same time people on this board don't lose their shit every time our best player makes a mistake.

Because he has done that about 10 times now.

Loose ends.

After Crawford's missed dunk we later went on to take the lead (so not really a Strickland moment) so not much behind that theory (not saying I wouldn't have preferred a made layup but we came back from it).
Moore 2-5, yes 5 shots. Our guards either get him the ball or they don't. 5 shots says they don't.
More on Moore - Late in the game he had a great pass out of the post immediately the Crawford who hit the open 3.
Woods and Chill 2-10 from 3
Manning is far from a great game coach but as stated above, every single player decision is not his. Woods never should of taken that shot. Crawford and MW were both open for a game winning 3, and they were 6-11 from 3 today, the intelligent play would have been to have passed the ball.

Yes, but if you pass the ball, you may not get it back

I agree and disagree. Manning put us in position to win this game. However, the last 10 seconds were a total unmitigated disaster. Nothing prevented Manning from calling a timeout at any point until KW heaved the 30 foot shot. As the coach, it is on Manning to determine, as the play unfolded, whether we were going to get a good shot or if he should call timeout to set another half court play. He chose to let the play unfold. He chose not to use another timeout. I don't know what the play call was - but it didn't appear that our team/players were in a position to succeed just before the desperation shot. Manning should not get a pass because he didn't have a chance to use a time out. Win or lose it just would have been nice to get a decent shot rather than just completely squander an opportunity to beat the Heels on their home court.

GO DEACS!

One consideration is that UNC's defenses was scrambled. One pass by Woods leads to an open shot. The way to guarantee a contested shot would be to call the TO there and let UNC set their defense. I do expect our players to realize when that big red clock on the top of the basket say 5 seconds it's not time for a desperation heave.

Wake was out scored at home by Clemson 13-0 last year as well 9-0 against Duke.

It does seem to be a pattern at end of games and there is no way to absolve Manning on this.

That said, Manning's more egregious coaching issues are his poor lineups and teams defense.

The defense seemed much better today. Manning has a lot of growing to do to become a good in game coach. It could still happen. He was hired with insufficient head coaching experience. Hope he is a quick study but that does not appear to be the case.

I will settle for improved defensive plays and line-ups. Don't think Manning will ever be a good in game coach.

One consideration is that UNC's defenses was scrambled. One pass by Woods leads to an open shot. The way to guarantee a contested shot would be to call the TO there and let UNC set their defense. I do expect our players to realize when that big red clock on the top of the basket say 5 seconds it's not time for a desperation heave.

BINGO! When the defensive team is trying to get back after pressing, you are far, far more likely to get a good look than calling a TO and letting them set up. Saying Danny should have called a TO at that point takes away a major advantage we had at the time.

Per the collapses at the end of games. That is COACHING. Defending DM here is nonsense other than with, I hope he learns quickly. That's the only response. Most times great players don't make great coaches. DM is not good.

I agree that it is not Manning's fault that the ball does not get passed to Moore and that our guards would rather shoot than pass, but it is on Manning that there are no consequences for these bonehead plays. They should be rewarded with a seat on the bench

Why does Childress play more than 5 minutes a half to spell the other 3 guards (unless they are in early foul trouble)? Dakich was in love with him today, and I don't see why.

He dribbles far too much, penetrates too deep and leaves his feet with no/few options other than heave a prayer at the glass once he gets there, and shoots poorly from deep.

I love that he plays hard and tries on D, but has really played at a So Con level this year from my perspective.

Why does Childress play more than 5 minutes a half to spell the other 3 guards (unless they are in early foul trouble)? Dakich was in love with him today, and I don't see why.

He dribbles far too much, penetrates too deep and leaves his feet with no/few options other than heave a prayer at the glass once he gets there, and shoots poorly from deep.

I love that he plays hard and tries on D, but has really played at a So Con level this year from my perspective.

Best defensive guard at Wake. Needs to play smarter on offense.

Another issue is that we don't have a game finisher who can hit clutch shots with pressure ala Taron Downey, Ish, Chill Sr., CP3. You can draw up all the plays you want, but players have to hit tough shots.

Look at Berry's shot....tough look, but nothing but net....he's a gamer. We don't have one right now and it hurts us in tight games. I thought Crawford was getting there with his great bank shot to put us up 4, but he settled for a 30 foot 3 next possession (almost made it).

Until we get a closer we're going to struggle with this.

Back