• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP St. Joe's Preview 11:30 AM (YES AM) Thursday November 15

The good news is that Wake only got out-rebounded by 1!!

The bad news is it wasn't worse because they didn't really have to crash the offensive glass having made so many 3's.

Eventually the shots won't go in and we might have a chance to win...against Houston Baptist.

ETA: why not pour on the misery?? Get this, a 6' guard for SJ equaled the total rebounds secured by the trio of Wright, Brown & Childress, with 7. No bueno!!

Last edited:
Nobody cares, but it we lose to Cal-State Fullerton tomorrow and look this lethargic, I'll move firmly into the "Manning Out" camp.

I mean, I've already filled out my application and scheduled an interview... But I've been keeping my options open.

I can understand losing to teams like St. Joe's that aren't terrible... But the complete lack of defense and overall intensity is tough to stomach. If you can't get a team of newcomers (who are ostensibly all still trying to earn playing time) to show some hustle in a neutral court, tournament environment, there's no hope. That goes beyond an inability to teach Xs and Os or inept "game coaching".

Nobody cares, but it we lose to Cal-State Fullerton tomorrow and look this lethargic, I'll move firmly into the "Manning Out" camp.

I mean, I've already filled out my application and scheduled an interview... But I've been keeping my options open.

I can understand losing to teams like St. Joe's that aren't terrible... But the complete lack of defense and overall intensity is tough to stomach. If you can't get a team of newcomers (who are ostensibly all still trying to earn playing time) to show some hustle in a neutral court, tournament environment, there's no hope. That goes beyond an inability to teach Xs and Os or inept "game coaching".

We have discussed this back and forth, but I really don't understand why you and others haven't been in this camp already. When exactly did you see DM show signs as a promising HC at WF? I've been DM out since about 3/4s into his first season. It was clear then and it's just as clear now. Why do we have to keep waiting for another game or two or ten to determine that he's just not a good HC? What more does he need to do/not do in order to prove that at this point?

The good news is that Wake only got out-rebounded by 1!!

The bad news is it wasn't worse because they didn't really have to crash the offensive glass having made so many 3's.

Eventually the shots won't go in and we might have a chance to win...against Houston Baptist.

ETA: why not pour on the misery?? Get this, a 6' guard for SJ equaled the total rebounds secured by the trio of Wright, Brown & Childress, with 7. No bueno!!

But he was PHILLY TOUGH!

Our guys got down 8-10 to start the second half and flat out quit! No excuse for the that. I wanted Larry Brown and not Ernie Nestor. Larry has won championships. He might have some answers. Ernie might be a great guy, but he has won nothing, albeit in limited and disadvantageous opportunities.

Don't see much of a future in Sarr and Brown. If the latter was a 4 star recruit, I was a 2 star and never got off the bench. The team has a loser mentality that will be hard to shed regardless of the coach.

We have discussed this back and forth, but I really don't understand why you and others haven't been in this camp already. When exactly did you see DM show signs as a promising HC at WF? I've been DM out since about 3/4s into his first season. It was clear then and it's just as clear now. Why do we have to keep waiting for another game or two or ten to determine that he's just not a good HC? What more does he need to do/not do in order to prove that at this point?

#newbeginnings

My hope was (and is) that a bunch of new faces would help to turn the page on the debacle of last season. At the very least, I expected to see a team that hustled and played scrappy.

Today was only one game, but the way we fell apart in the 2nd half on both ends of the floor was not encouraging. You could chalk it up to being young vs. a more experienced team, but that seems like a bullshit excuse to me.

How we come out tomorrow will be very telling.

Insult to injury, but I hated our coaching staff's polos and Manning's windbreaker today.

Never change Jaybone. You were trying to sound smarter than everyone and above it all until the very end with [Redacted] as well.

#newbeginnings

My hope was (and is) that a bunch of new faces would help to turn the page on the debacle of last season. At the very least, I expected to see a team that hustled and played scrappy.

Today was only one game, but the way we fell apart in the 2nd half on both ends of the floor was not encouraging. You could chalk it up to being young vs. a more experienced team, but that seems like a bullshit excuse to me.

Everyone should have you for their boss. Productivity would suck but everyone gets a job for life so long as you can come up with some plausible reason things might possibly get better.

Dropped to 117 in KP after the loss.

Cal-State Fullerton dropped to 150.

KP projects a 76-74 Wake victory tomorrow.

Ugh.

Live by the one-and-done. Die by the one-and-done.

Yep. You need to recruit them 5 at a time so you can afford to sit them if they don't hustle or play team ball.

I really think Hoard just tried to put the team on his shoulders when that was not what we need. This team is going to need to shoot 60% to win games.

The troubling piece to me is that I saw the potential for Hoard to play for numbers and draft position, not for team. He could have just been playing crazy out of control at times, but that is my fear.

Nah. I saw a freshman who felt like he needed to get his offense going early and he made some mistakes.

Everyone should have you for their boss. Productivity would suck but everyone gets a job for life so long as you can come up with some plausible reason things might possibly get better.

I wouldn't characterize it like that at all.

There are plenty of people that I think suck right away.

Manning has good qualities and bad qualities... I am just getting to the point where I think he has no chance of future success at Wake Forest.

Not 100% there yet... It's a long season w/ a rotation of young players that should improve as they play together more. But the way we got curb-stomped by an OK St. Joe's team is not comforting.

Also, I don't control hiring / firing of Wake Forest Basketball coaches. I'm just a fan with an opinion. That's much different than how I handle my business.

A.d. will absolutely consider 2-1 a success in this tournament.

Get. Your. Tickkkkats.

Insult to injury, but I hated our coaching staff's polos and Manning's windbreaker today.

OJlH9Ou.jpg

It could always be worse.

#newbeginnings

You’re an informative poster. I simply don’t understand this perspective.

What about Manning told you that even with new players he had developed an ability to motivate or inspire them? Why does it take yet one more game?? Cmon man. Wake up.

I checked my phone and it was tied at half. So we obviously have some semblance of skill to keep up with them. But who here didn’t see it coming - the better coached team would come out 2nd half and just finish us off.

How could you possibly need STILL one more game to make up your mind my dude?? Even if we win it, we know where this season is going!!! And some of us have known this about Manning for years!!!

Enough enough enough please stop supporting this obvious disaster.

BTW Manning is wrong. I do feel sorry for him, except for the money part. He is a decent individual awash in a flood of job responsibilities that are way, way over his head.

I wouldn't characterize it like that at all.

There are plenty of people that I think suck right away.

Manning has good qualities and bad qualities... I am just getting to the point where I think he has no chance of future success at Wake Forest.

Not 100% there yet... It's a long season w/ a rotation of young players that should improve as they play together more. But the way we got curb-stomped by an OK St. Joe's team is not comforting.

Also, I don't control hiring / firing of Wake Forest Basketball coaches. I'm just a fan with an opinion. That's much different than how I handle my business.

This is about where I still am as well.

Back