• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

Gotta say, I had higher hopes for where that letter was going than “talk to your manager”

And yet, out of context, I guess it could be worse? File this under, "we'll see."

I ran a LTC company for 10 years. One of our 30 facilities was unionized in the mid-90s (UFCW) primarily due to mismanagement by the administrator and lack of oversight by the corporate staff assigned to that region.

Afterward, we engaged a former union organizer to assess what went wrong. His first words to me were "No company ever got a union that didn't deserve one."

The entire game industry is still reeling from yesterday's bombshell announcement that Microsoft—hot on the heels of its $69 billion acquisition of Activision—would be laying off 1,900 employees across Activision-Blizzard and Xbox. Inevitably, Twitter is awash with reactions highlighting the human cost, both from dazed devs waking up in a world in which they no longer have jobs, and from others wondering what this all means for the months and years ahead.

The sheer brutality and nonsensical nature of the layoffs was hammered home yesterday by the concurrent headlines announcing that Microsoft—which vies with Apple for first place as most valuable company on Earth—had briefly become the second company in human history to cross a $3 trillion market cap.

The notion that a company of this staggering scale had no alternative but to cut 1,900 people free of their livelihoods was more than a little hard to swallow, and the absurdity was highlighted in a tweet from former Blizzard senior designer Jorge Murillo, who shared his last message sent in the company Slack: "Look, I'm just happy we were able to provide some value to the shareholders."

It's not as if the Xbox exclusives have been knocking it out of the park

It absolutely sucks, but mass layoffs in tech following mergers/acquisitions is fairly normal. It comes on the heels of cuts at Riot, Discord, and other tech cos recently.

That said, the fact that most of the cuts were Activision/Blizzard and not to the shit ass Microsoft gaming team is laughable.

Nearly 25,000 tech workers were laid off in the first weeks of 2024. Why is that?

Last year was, by all accounts, a bloodbath for the tech industry, with more than 260,000 jobs vanishing — the worst 12 months for Silicon Valley since the dot-com crash of the early 2000s.

Executives justified the mass layoffs by citing a pandemic hiring binge, high inflation and weak consumer demand.

Now in 2024, tech company workforces have largely returned to pre-pandemic levels, inflation is half of what it was this time last year and consumer confidence is rebounding.

Yet, in the first four weeks of this year, nearly 100 tech companies, including Meta, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, TikTok and Salesforce have collectively let go of about 25,000 employees, according to layoffs.fyi, which tracks the technology sector.

All of the major tech companies conducting another wave of layoffs this year are sitting atop mountains of cash and are wildly profitable, so the job-shedding is far from a matter of necessity or survival.

Then what is driving it?

"There is a herding effect in tech," said Jeff Shulman, a professor at the University of Washington's Foster School of Business, who follows the tech industry. "The layoffs seem to be helping their stock prices, so these companies see no reason to stop."

Some smaller tech startups are running out of cash and facing fundraising struggles with the era of easy money now over, which has prompted workforce reductions. But experts say for most large and publicly-traded tech firms, the layoff trend this month is aimed at satisfying investors.

Shulman adds: "They're getting away with it because everybody is doing it. And they're getting away with it because now it's the new normal," he said. "Workers are more comfortable with it, stock investors are appreciating it, and so I think we'll see it continue for some time."…[remainder is free via the link above]

I finally found a contract worse than the one Wellman gave Manning. The BoD of Tesla gave Elon Musk an incentive laden compensation package that is now worth 56 Billion dollars. That's billion, with a "b." Tesla shareholders sued that the compensation was unreasonable, and today in a ruling a Delaware judge agreed and voided the agreement. I have no idea how that is even possible, but god damn Musk is feeling the burn today.

Kinda like the Chik-fil-a "boycott" years ago: if you go to TJ's, you ain't quittin TJ's.

Now places like Hobby Lobby on the other hand. Those get a quick ax.

What did chicken ever do but be mother f n delicious?
- internet dude at the time

TJ's is a place to get random snacks and cheeses. It's no way essential. My wife will go before playing D&D with friends' since it's near their house and she'll get wine and cheese for that plus some snacks to take home.

Man I haven’t been to a Trader Joe’s in prob 5 years…they’re around but yeah I just don’t really need anything there

i'm going to have a difficult time boycotting sierra nevada beers. sorry barca.

Back