• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lance Armstrong won't fight doping charges

Guilty guilty guilty guilty. Been telling RJ that for years!

o lord... the boards famous "where there's smoke there's fire" crew is back! is it possible he's just tired of this shit coming up every single year? who cares if a cyclist is juicing.

Actually, I think this cuts in his favor. Even though I'm sure he doped.

o lord... the boards famous "where there's smoke there's fire" crew is back! is it possible he's just tired of this shit coming up every single year? who cares if a cyclist is juicing.

That's what he's saying.
"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now," Armstrong said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. He called the USADA investigation an "unconstitutional witch hunt."

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999," he said. "The toll this has taken on my family and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense."

The US Doping Agency released a statement:

It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and our athletic heroes. This is a heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all-costs culture of sport, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition, but for clean athletes, it is a reassuring reminder that there is hope for future generations to compete on a level playing field without the use of performance enhancing drugs.

Cute.

@AP
BREAKING: USADA to strip Lance Armstrong of 7 Tour de France titles, ban him from cycling for life.

So they're banning a retired cyclist for life. Good deal.

Yeah, Lance knows what he's doing here.

In related news: Nobody has legitimately raced in the TdF since 1999.

22366260.jpg

Lance has always been a little f***, from personal life to on the course. simply one of the scums of sports

Lance has always been a little f***, from personal life to on the course. simply one of the scums of sports

who happens to have raised half a billion dollars for cancer research

As a cancer survivor I can say that I do not think he is a "little f***". I appreciate the money and time that he has spent and donated to cancer research and can't imagine how many lives his cancer awareness has saved.

As a cancer survivor I can say that I do not think he is a "little f***". I appreciate the money and time that he has spent and donated to cancer research and can't imagine how many lives his cancer awareness has saved.[/QUO

"How can you expect a man who's warm to understand a man who's cold?" "One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Actually, I think this cuts in his favor. Even though I'm sure he doped.

Probably. It's clearly a tactical move - he's making it look like the USADA is on a witch hunt (they are) and that he has more important things to do now that he's retired. We'll see how it all plays out in public opinion.

i don't blame him. congrats frenchies, have your whack ass sport back.

The funny thing is that cycling isn't really a French sport at all - it's dominated by riders from the low countries, Italy and Spain and most of the historic races are in those areas too. The TdF was / is just the best advertised (it was started by a newspaper to sell sports coverage).

In related news: Nobody has legitimately raced in the TdF since 1999.

Considering 1998 was the Festina Affair and is widely remembered as Tour du Dopage ... I gotta say that you have to go back farther than 1998. All the way too ... let's be serious, there's never been a clean one. It's a cruel sport that destroys your body and guys have been doing drugs as long as cycling has been a sport. In the early 1900s it was nitroglycerine, cocaine and strychnine. The last case of a guy caught using an ether soaked shirt or scarf to deaden the sense of pain was all the way up in 1963! There's a famous statue of Roger Riviere, who crashed in 1960 and broke his back because he was on so much of the narcotic painkiller palfium that he couldn't use his brakes. From that point on it was amphetamines, which cyclists chowed on in a way that would have made an MLB clubhouse of the era sick to even imagine. Then synthetic EPO and the new drugs which cause the uproar now.

The reality of the sport is that it never has been, and never will be, "clean". The use of drugs is so deeply embedded in the very fabric of the professional part of the sport I'm not sure how you'd ever even begin to root it out. And frankly, cycling at the professional level without drugs is just an experience in human horror.

Lance is a competitive asshole, no question. Early in his career he was disliked strongly in the peleton for his brashness and big mouth, no question. But to claim he's simply one of the scums of the sport is ridiculous, and frankly stupid.

Back