• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Large Handed White Girl Sues UT b/c raciost

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...reme-court-affirmative-action-texas/27676083/

Snapz-Pro-XScreenSnapz096.jpg

Last edited:
Now, the Supreme Court will review that decision. Justice Elena Kagan is recused from the case, presumably because she participated in it when she was U.S. solicitor general in 2009-10.

Amusing how inconsistently this is applied to justice Kagan.

This thread for the next 12 months:
OMG_couch_fire_by_Azundo.gif~c200

She very intentionally had nothing to do with the Obamacare suits while at the SGs office.

I believe just different fact patterns although it's been a couple years since I read all the background facts of Fisher. I think the underlying issue is that each situation is just factually different and each needs to go through strict scrutiny (which I believe is why it was sent back down in the first place when Fisher was up before) - Gratz gave specific points for being an underrepresented minority and here Texas uses race as "a factor" after filling 3/4 of their class with the top 10% of each high school from the state or something.

Some more background about Fisher herself. The TL:DR version: She wasn't that great of a applicant anyway.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...supreme_court_might_just_gut_affirmative.html

What’s striking about this case—and what makes it frustrating to some observers—is the curious question of Fisher’s academic record. Put simply, as Nikole Hannah-Jones documented for ProPublica, affirmative action wasn’t her problem.

If you want entrance to UT Austin and you live in Texas, you have three options: You can score in the top 10 percent of your high school class, which grants you automatic entry; you can try for the non–top 10 slots; or, if your grades are weak, you can attend a satellite campus and transfer, provided good grades and a strong course load.

When Fisher applied in 2008, notes Hannah-Jones, the UT Austin filled 92 percent of its in-state spots with students from the top 10 program. She wasn’t among them. With a 3.59 grade-point average and a modest SAT score of 1180 out of 1600, she was a solid student but not a great one, not for a school with an overall acceptance rate of 40 percent and an extremely low acceptance rate (comparable to Harvard’s) for in-state students admitted outside of top 10.

For the remaining 8 percent of in-state spots, UT Austin used a comprehensive approach that weighed grades and test scores along with essays, leadership, activities, service to the community, and “special circumstances.” Those ranged from socioeconomic status and school quality, to family background and race. As the university’s director of admissions explained for the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Circuit, “[R]ace provides—like language, whether or not someone is the first in their family to attend college, and family responsibilities—important context in which to evaluate applicants, and is only one aspect of the diversity that the University seeks to attain.”

Neither special circumstances nor grades were determinative. Of the 841 students admitted under these criteria, 47 had worse AI/PAI scores (a combination of the holistic measure, grades, and test scores) than Fisher, and 42 of them were white. On the other end, UT rejected 168 black and Latino students with scores equal to or better than Fisher’s.*

To call this discrimination is to say that Fisher was entitled to a space at the UT Austin, despite grades that didn’t make the cut. It’s worth pointing out that the university gave her the choice of transferring from a satellite school, which she rejected.

I don't really know that this is attacking the victim where she's already graduated from college and has moved on with her life. She doesn't benefit either way. If she wins I don't even think it's vindication that she should have gotten in, just that the system they were using wasn't a constitutional means of using race.

She was a borderline applicant who didn't get into her top choice but still got into another schools. There are millions of students like her of all races every year.

She was a borderline applicant who didn't get into her top choice but still got into another schools. There are millions of students like her of all races every year.

Exactly. Take your fat ass hands and grab some boot straps.

I saw PH's post and thought she sounded like a damn good HS student. Then I realized you all went to Wake and I went to BSU. Needless to say, I didn't sniff the top 10% in HS.

I don't really know that this is attacking the victim where she's already graduated from college and has moved on with her life. She doesn't benefit either way. If she wins I don't even think it's vindication that she should have gotten in, just that the system they were using wasn't a constitutional means of using race.

Update: the statute of limitations on your government treating you differently because of your skin color is now about a decade. Better to just move on.

:rulz:

Last edited:

They're all the same, right? Anyway, back to ridding the world of stereotypes and discrimination...

Has anybody attacked the Top 10% Admission policy?

Seems to punish kids in very strong school districts, but I could way to guarantee diversity.

Back