• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Large Handed White Girl Sues UT b/c raciost

Protection from who/what?

The people who make the laws. The State. Read the nouns.

Sometimes doing something that is wrong is still the wrong thing, even if you think you can get away with it.

The State shall not deny equal protection of the laws.

Again, protection from what?

Ph gonna Ph.

If you want to pretend that the State treating two people differently solely based on their skin color isn't racial discrimination, then fine. I clearly can't stop you.

If people aren't scoring well on standardized tests or finishing high school, let's figure out why and solve that. The solution to problem #1 isn't problem #2.

If you don't like the results of the mistakes of the past, let's not repeat them.

Seems curious that someone would spend centuries running a race where the opponent was in chains (quite literally, mind you), only remove the chains through significant loss of life, deny a competitive race for another century, finally place the racers on (somewhat) equal ground, and then state that those who are miles behind the ones who had no chains should not receive help in catching up.

If the slaves had received the benefit of 2 parent households, all this could have been avoided.

Past racism can only be fixed by racism from the other direction.

Treating people equally as part of one human race will clearly never work.

Seems curious that someone would spend centuries running a race where the opponent was in chains (quite literally, mind you), only remove the chains through significant loss of life, deny a competitive race for another century, finally place the racers on (somewhat) equal ground, and then state that those who are miles behind the ones who had no chains should not receive help in catching up.

If the slaves had received the benefit of 2 parent households, all this could have been avoided.

It seems equally silly to err for 300 years, recognize the error, and then immediately repeat it and pretend that it's somehow not wrong now.

What's the point of the current brand of public racial discrimination? What benefit is so otherwise unattainable that we simply must use the most suspect form of state action to obtain it?

What's the point of the current brand of public racial discrimination? What benefit is so otherwise unattainable that we simply must use the most suspect form of state action to obtain it?

So then, protection from what?

I don't really know that this is attacking the victim where she's already graduated from college and has moved on with her life. She doesn't benefit either way. If she wins I don't even think it's vindication that she should have gotten in, just that the system they were using wasn't a constitutional means of using race.

More White people problems. Eight freshmen UVa swimmers got hazed by upperclassmen. Five of the upperclassmen were over the top and are suspended for a season. Two of the suspended swimmers transfer to Michigan (comparable school with better swimming program) after the season. One of the freshmen transfers to Northwestern (better school with worse swimming) and still sues the suspended swimmers, who are college students with zero assets. Who benefits here?

Extremely marginal applicant who went to a mediocre school and graduated. Rice and the Ivies weren't falling all over themselves to admit her. The people who really get hosed are the ones who are rejected by Arizona State or ECU and don't have any other four year college options. 70% of American adults don't have 4 year degrees. Her life isn't ruined because she graduated from LSU after not being admitted to UT.

How do you reconcile ignoring skin color and wanting a diverse student body? I heard that some Asian families are going to sue because they feel Asians are underrepresented. They feel their test scores are higher and their GPAs are higher, so schools should have a majority of Asians. Are they correct, or are extracurricular activities code for diversity?

How do you reconcile ignoring skin color and wanting a diverse student body? I heard that some Asian families are going to sue because they feel Asians are underrepresented. They feel their test scores are higher and their GPAs are higher, so schools should have a majority of Asians. Are they correct, or are extracurricular activities code for diversity?

If diversity is so important, I'm curious how many registered Republicans have tenure in Ph's department. We need some diversity in our definition of diversity. Diversity is code for racial discrimination.

Please don't bring up Asians admissions policies in discussions about affirmative action. It's better that way.

Last edited:
The types of discrimination perfected by affirmative action.

I thought affirmative action was from the State which is doing the protecting.

So protection from what?

If diversity is so important, I'm curious how many registered Republicans have tenure in Ph's department. We need some diversity in our definition of diversity. Diversity is code for racial discrimination.

Please don't bring up Asians admissions policies in discussions about affirmative action. It's better that way.

How on Earth is diversity code for racial discrimination. I would love to see you dance around that one.

How on Earth is diversity code for racial discrimination. I would love to see you dance around that one.

It's a tough one without some specific bias toward one race or another. If you believe all men and women are created equal, lack of diversity is a sign of problems that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
To understand jhmd's train of thought, you cannot believe in path dependency (or historicity) of any sort. That's frightening.

What's frightening is jhmd equating affirmative action to pre-civil rights era discrimination against black people. He also forgets that much of that discrimination was driven by the private sector and supported by government.

Because they admit(!) treating different people of different races differently, solely(!) on that basis.

Back