• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Large Handed White Girl Sues UT b/c raciost

Yeah. People object to racial diversity in a way they don't object to geographic diversity.

I don't object to racial diversity, I work in a racial diverse community. So, you have to take up objections to racial diversity with those who do. I do object to the government imposing everywhere the same narrow idea of diversity by law.

As an aside, I think that there is more discrimination based on poverty in the United Sates than any other factor, including race and gender.

Government doesn't impose diversity. Government imposes that businesses and universities and such should take affirmative action to find candidates from all racial backgrounds.

So jhmd, do you have a problem with affirmative action or the methods by which it is applied?

I have a problem with the fact that schools won't even admit how it is applied (seriously, this doesn't bother you guys?). On a bet, nobody on this board could find out precisely how UNC weighs the race of candidates if I gave you thirty days.

It is applied to the areas where there's the most discrimination and denial of opportunity. Race and gender are also visual markers of diversity than make a campus attractive to their desired audience of talented students, faculty, and staff.

And diversity with respect to gender benefits men who are overall lower achievers than women. Elite institutions would be closer to 60-65% women just going by GPA, test scores, and such.

Third request: how many Republicans on the faculty with tenure in your department?

And that makes it okay?

Yeah. People object to racial diversity in a way they don't object to geographic diversity.

Can the smart people on this board postulate a reason as to why that might be?

If [large, affordable public school] said "We represent all of the people of this State, and so we are going to grant automatic admission to the top 10% of each high school class" the rules would be transparent (a huge improvement), disclosed (ditto), more attainable and you'd get a more diverse type of diversity. Further, you might get some kids who are borderline admittees moving to lower performing school districts by choice, which would give you more diversity in the high schools as well. And it might even be Constitutional and transparent. Remind me again, why must we go with the most suspect form of state action imaginable?

Last edited:
I don't object to racial diversity, I work in a racial diverse community. So, you have to take up objections to racial diversity with those who do. I do object to the government imposing everywhere the same narrow idea of diversity by law.

As an aside, I think that there is more discrimination based on poverty in the United Sates than any other factor, including race and gender.

My original post was a response to the question of whether or not race should be a consideration in admittance. If you want to go into the legal reasoning, I think affirmative action is a bit of a clunky attempt at fixing a very real problem. Using race as a component in decision-making with candidates isn't repeating the same mistake of the last 300 years. Plenty of studies have shown that white people are more likely to be called for interviews and hired than black people with the same qualifications. (Or as Obama put it, the impulse to call Johnny back for a job interview but not Jamal.) So we are talking about the mistake of 2015. And until we can figure out a way to stop making that mistake, we'll only have clunky partial solutions.

I have a problem with the fact that schools won't even admit how it is applied (seriously, this doesn't bother you guys?). On a bet, nobody on this board could find out precisely how UNC weighs the race of candidates if I gave you thirty days.

Why is race the only mystery of the admissions crapshoot that people get up at arms about? The whole thing is a mystery how it's applied. When you were in HS did you ever wonder how two seemingly identical classmates didn't get into the same schools?

people naturally don't like people who look different than them

And they don't like being "forced" to work with them or go to college with them, apparently.

So we've already covered the fact that minority students with better grades and test scores than the plaintiff were denied acceptance, but jhmd and knowell are still banging the drum about the unfairness of affirmative action?

So we've already covered the fact that minority students with better grades and test scores than the plaintiff were denied acceptance, but jhmd and knowell are still banging the drum about the unfairness of affirmative action?

Conservatives literally made a federal case of a borderline candidate not getting into college.

The crazy thing is you'd think the Texas 10% admissions plan would get a lot of conservative support. It's a flat standard for all students.

Depends, can they play basketball or football?

And they don't like being "forced" to work with them or go to college with them, apparently.

yep, and that sucks. it's fun being around people who are different. you learn a lot from them.

Since my first several attempts did not elicit a response, what if I asked the question this way: if I were to set the over/under on Republicans with tenure in your department at 0.80 people, one would be wise to bet the under, right? #diversityyousay

No. You are not understanding that correctly, but thanks for asking.

Where we disagree is what we do now, where things have improved but are not equal. What I don't think is helpful is a separate-but-unequal set of expectations for different communities. The opposite approach is sorely needed. I do not understand why you all believe that racial discrimination is the only way to encourage achievement and equality; and that the argument is so convincing as to pass strict scrutiny.

Don't think affirmative action is the only way, do think diversity in higher Ed is a good thing.

Since my first several attempts did not elicit a response, what if I asked the question this way: if I were to set the over/under on Republicans with tenure in your department at 0.80 people, one would be wise to bet the under, right? #diversityyousay

Yes. That's also a good over/under for the number who applied and made their affiliations known.

Start answering some of my questions now.

Yes. That's also a good over/under for the number who applied and made their affiliations known.

Start answering some of my questions now.

R.I.P. Diversity of Thought. You had a good run.

Back