• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Large Handed White Girl Sues UT b/c raciost

Question for those on this thread: should race actually be considered and why?

I'm late to this, but whatever.

There have been studies that have shown that diversity is a positive, and can improve innovation. Professors aren't the only teachers in colleges, students learn much from their fellow students, even if it as simple as hearing the perspective of something you're studying from a student with different experiences. And race is a major influence on experiences.

Question for those that oppose race being considered, I assume you believe the same for considerations of HBCUs? What about gender?

Am I understanding Jh's position to be that affirmative action is as bad as slavery and Jim Crow?

Am I understanding Jh's position to be that affirmative action is as bad as slavery and Jim Crow?

No. You are not understanding that correctly, but thanks for asking.

Where we disagree is what we do now, where things have improved but are not equal. What I don't think is helpful is a separate-but-unequal set of expectations for different communities. The opposite approach is sorely needed. I do not understand why you all believe that racial discrimination is the only way to encourage achievement and equality; and that the argument is so convincing as to pass strict scrutiny.

Last edited:
So jhmd, do you have a problem with affirmative action or the methods by which it is applied?

Clearly I got a bit too enthusiastic about my own private wine tasting last night. Sorry, PH (and others). Attack posting is not really my thing.

Good man Shorty.

I'm late to this, but whatever.

There have been studies that have shown that diversity is a positive, and can improve innovation. Professors aren't the only teachers in colleges, students learn much from their fellow students, even if it as simple as hearing the perspective of something you're studying from a student with different experiences. And race is a major influence on experiences.

Question for those that oppose race being considered, I assume you believe the same for considerations of HBCUs? What about gender?

If diversity is such an important value - and it may in fact be one - then why understand it so narrowly, that is, essentially in terms of race and gender?

Furthermore, why impose legally the same narrow understanding of diversity everywhere?

So jhmd, do you have a problem with affirmative action or the methods by which it is applied?

Here comes the two parent family lecture....

I think his problem is with discrimination based on skin color period.

If diversity is such an important value - and it may in fact be one - then why understand it so narrowly, that is, essentially in terms of race and gender?

Furthermore, why impose legally the same narrow understanding of diversity everywhere?

It is applied to the areas where there's the most discrimination and denial of opportunity. Race and gender are also visual markers of diversity than make a campus attractive to their desired audience of talented students, faculty, and staff.

And diversity with respect to gender benefits men who are overall lower achievers than women. Elite institutions would be closer to 60-65% women just going by GPA, test scores, and such.

Last edited:
Clearly the whites are being denied access to college admissions and the job market.

Is discrimination based on skin color okay as long as we are discriminating against the correct people?

Is discrimination based on skin color okay as long as we are discriminating against the correct people?
Are the whites being discriminated against? I'm confused!

Last edited:

What other areas would you like to cover? Economic diversity is important too, ethnicity, geography... and schools generally do take those things into account, but they don't get the same push back. Same for gender.

What other areas would you like to cover? Economic diversity is important too, ethnicity, geography... and schools generally do take those things into account, but they don't get the same push back. Same for gender.

Yeah. People object to racial diversity in a way they don't object to geographic diversity.

Be happy to answer but what do you mean by "same push back."

Back