• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Larranaga to Miami

Heard on DC radio this morning that they were talking to him. Very good hire IMO

If he goes, it is definitely a good short-term hire. Just like Bz, I don't think it is a good idea to try to build something with a 60 y/o. However, JL has had much more success and Miami has a lot of solid players returning to compete immediately.

I'm surprised by the love for this hire. He did some nice things at Mason but he's 62. Why hire a guy you're going to have to replace in 5 years max?

Two things make this different then the Bz hire:
1. We're Wake Forest and they're Miami.
2. He's a successful coach. He'd be the fourth ACC coach who has coached in a Final Four.

A better hire than ours, but that would hardly make it a home run. If this is true, this is how I would rank the ACC hires of the past two years:
1. Clemson
2. BC
3. NCSU
4. Miami
5. GT
6. Wake

That's irrespective of program quality. If you consider the status of the programs compared to the hire then Miami and NCSU would be switched.

Everyone but Wake and GT are grouped together pretty tightly in this ranking. Wake and GT aren't close either.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by the love for this hire. He did some nice things at Mason but he's 62. Why hire a guy you're going to have to replace in 5 years max?

I see it as the perfect opportunity for Larranaga to build some momentum in Miami and turn it over to a younger assistant who he grooms for the job.

It's not hard to get a 62 year old to move to Miami.

A better hire than ours, but that would hardly make it a home run. If this is true, this is how I would rank the ACC hires of the past two years:
1. Clemson
2. BC
3. NCSU
4. Miami
5. Wake

That's irrespective of program quality. If you consider the status of the programs compared to the hire then Miami and NCSU would be switched.

Everyone but Wake is grouped pretty tightly in this ranking.

I'd go

1) Clemson
2) Miami
3) BC
4) NCSU
5) GT
6) Wake

Lot of turnover in the ACC recently. I don't think any of the schools crushed it with their hires, but we obviously won't know for a few years.

I'd go

1) Clemson
2) Miami
3) BC
4) NCSU
5) GT
6) Wake

Lot of turnover in the ACC recently. I don't think any of the schools crushed it with their hires, but we obviously won't know for a few years.

Haha...completely forgot GT. Edited my post.

Half the league made new hires over the last two offseasons and it's hard to argue we didn't make the worst one. Add in Bennett and we had the worst of seven hires.

If Miami had hired Jeter at least there would be room for debate.

Half the league made new hires over the last two offseasons and it's hard to argue we didn't make the worst one. Add in Bennett and we had the worst of seven hires.

I hate to agree with this, but I do. You could also make the argument that Wake was the most attractive job of the 6 or 7 available.

Certainly more attractive than BC, Miami, and Clemson. I think GT, NCSU, and Wake are pretty comparable jobs (with Virginia falling between the two clusters).

We definitely had the most recent "success" to build on compared to the others.

This hire reminds me of ours, but a little better. I wouldn't be super pumped if I were a UM fan just because of his age and because of my general skepticism for coaches in their "last job before retirement" phase (as this clearly seems to be), but then again, he seems like a pretty clear upgrade over Haith.

Definitely a better option than Mike Davis and some of those other names that were circulating last week.

Back