• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Larranaga to Miami

Yep. Miami is using the same strategy Wellman used except with a successful mid-major coach with a stable resume and tournament and Final Four experience who may bring with him a well-regarded experienced but young assistant coach (6 years as an asst, 9 years total under Larranaga but only 30/31 years old) and for the same money, maybe less (I think I've seen $1.2M for Bz).

really just lol @ us and State.

I think the State hire was better than the GT hire and about equal to this. Gottfried has a pretty good resume, despite the personal problems. Not as good as Larranga's, but he's also significantly younger (47) which is certainly worth considering.

Which, oddly, would be his old base salary at CU plus the buy out amount (that Wake never pays for anyone). Apologies for the hijack.

That may be where I got that figure from. I'm not sure what his salary is. Can't imagine we'd be paying an experienced coach under a million. I'm sure hiring Dino for 3 years eased the budget.

Yep. Miami is using the same strategy Wellman used except with a successful mid-major coach with a stable resume and tournament and Final Four experience who may bring with him a well-regarded experienced but young assistant coach (6 years as an asst, 9 years total under Larranaga but only 30/31 years old) and for the same money, maybe less (I think I've seen $1.2M for Bz).

Never seen a specific number, but my guess would be between $1m and $1.2m. He was making $850k at Colorado IIRC. I hope we didn't give him more than a $350k bump. That would be stupid (not implausible though).

Thanks, ryala. I had actually heard of him before but didn't make the connection when I made that post. Not sure where I heard of him. I don't remember him from the MD business last year.

There's a decent chance he gets the Mason head job now. He's an incredible recruiter. Someone to really keep an eye on going forward... I think he can be really successful as a head coach at a BCS school in the future.

Hold the goddamn phone...an old New Yorker moved to Florida?

A guy at my local bar grew up with Larranaga. He said he's a really good guy, an exellent coach but really hard to get along with if he doesn't like immediately. This could be kind of fun to watch.

It will be interesting to see what Larranaga does at Miami. Two of his GMU players are from FL, so he does know how to recruit the state.

I like the hire. They weren't going to knock it out of the ballpark, so they got a guy who will be there a few years. Best case scenario, he does a fine job and maybe has another wonder year and leaves the program more attractive than when he came. Worst case scenario (imo), you put the program in solid, experienced hands and even if he isn't great, I doubt they go spiraling downhill like we have.

Gotta feel good for a guy who can instantly double his salary. He must keep Reggie Johnson to have any form of success year one. Also interesting that George Mason has more Florida players than Miami.

Very interesting interview this morning on 106.7 here in DC

He refused to say that problems with the AD were a factor but he did say that his close relationship with the retiring president was a factor, and also that money was a factor.

He said VCU showing the love to Shaka Smart (bumping his salary to $1.2 mil) really raised the bar for CAA coaches and Mason just couldnt really hang (he's got a point there).

Said he "feels good" about returning players to Miami, specifically mentioned Reggie Johnson.

Looking forward to the oppotunity to compete agains the best coaches in the NCAA, taking his kids to Cameron Indoor, etc.

Good for him.

http://dc.sbnation.com/george-mason...4/jim-larranaga-miami-basketball-george-mason

Great point about VCU. The rest of the CAA has to decide if they want to hang. Same thing the Horizon League has to deal with.

Back