• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Larry Flynt: Don't Execute The Man Who Paralyzed Me

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/larry-flynt-dont-execute-man-649158

Joseph Paul Franklin, who has confessed to shooting Flynt in 1978 and been convicted in a series of racially motivated murders, is set for execution in Missouri in November. Flynt writes for THR, "I have every reason to be overjoyed with that decision, but I am anything but."

On March 6, 1978, as I stood on the steps of the Georgia courthouse where I was fighting obscenity charges, a series of gunshots rang out. I remember nothing that happened after that until I woke up in the intensive care unit. The damage to my central nervous system was severe, and it took several weeks before doctors could stabilize me. From then on, I was paralyzed from the waist down, and have been confined to a wheelchair ever since.

Years later, a white supremacist named Joseph Paul Franklin was arrested for shooting and killing an interracial couple. He soon began confessing to other crimes, and that’s when he admitted to having shot me. He said he'd targeted me because of a photo spread I ran in Hustler magazine featuring a black man and a white woman. He had bombed several synagogues. He had shot Vernon Jordan Jr., the civil rights activist. He hated blacks, he hated Jews, he hated all minorities. He went around the country committing all these crimes. I think somebody had to have been financing him, but nothing ever turned up on who that somebody may have been.

In all the years since the shooting, I have never come face-to-face with Franklin. I would love an hour in a room with him and a pair of wire-cutters and pliers, so I could inflict the same damage on him that he inflicted on me. But, I do not want to kill him, nor do I want to see him die.
Supporters of capital punishment argue that it is a deterrent which prevents potential murderers from committing future crimes, but research has failed to provide a shred of valid scientific proof to that effect whatsoever. In 18th century England, pickpocketing was a capital offense. Once a week, crowds would gather in a public square to observe public hangings of convicted pickpockets, unaware that their own pockets were being emptied by thieves moving among them. That’s a true story, and, if you’re ever trying to convince somebody of why the death penalty is not a deterrent, that’s a good example.

As far as the severity of punishment is concerned, to me, a life spent in a 3-by-6-foot cell is far harsher than the quick release of a lethal injection. And costs to the taxpayer? Execution has been proven to be far more expensive for the state than a conviction of life without parole, due to the long and complex judicial process required for capital cases.
Franklin has been sentenced by the Missouri Supreme Court to death by legal injection on Nov. 20. I have every reason to be overjoyed with this decision, but I am not. I have had many years in this wheelchair to think about this very topic. As I see it, the sole motivating factor behind the death penalty is vengeance, not justice, and I firmly believe that a government that forbids killing among its citizens should not be in the business of killing people itself.

We've never walked a mile in Larry's shoes, so we shouldn't judge his opinion.

The execution has nothing to do with the attack on him. Franklin is being executed for other murders. Flynt is putting himself into a case where he is immaterial.

Dude should be killed. Scumbag of the worst kind.

Not Larry Flynt. The guy who shot him.

I carried around a Hustler cartoon in my wallet for years that I thought was hilarious at the time (still do, in fact). It was a black guy and white chick up on the wall in shackles in a dungeon. White girl is of course stacked and the black guy of course has a dick that hangs like 5 feet to the floor. There's a rat looking hungrily at his pecker and he says, "Quick, bitch! Talk dirty to me!" That came out of a Hustler that was well after when Flynt was shot, though. At least I think. Probably pulled it out of a Hustler that had been around for years so who knows.

Is anyone reading what Flynt is saying?? It's pretty much the main reason I'm opposed to the DP. It's an easy out from the hell of prison. There's a reason a place like Supermax in Colorado removes any way an inmate can kill themselves- whether they're on suicide watch or not. It's miserable. Let 'em grow old and rot in prison. That's punishment. For a fucking culture that routinely responds to death with "they're in a better place," we sure as hell embrace the death penalty with eagerness.

For a fucking culture that routinely responds to death with "they're in a better place," we sure as hell embrace the death penalty with eagerness.
I don't think most who believe in an afterlife believe that many death penalty candidates are in a better place once they die.

So...his argument against capital punishment is that it's vengeful. And yet also an easier out for the guilty than rotting away in prison. So the reputedly harsher punishment (rotting in prison) is also the less vengeful?

Anyhow, I've for years favored the death penalty (generally). In theory it makes sense to me as a matter of justice. In reality, it's a lot messier and can obviously be very poorly, err, executed. And if we're going to do it we have to intentionally err on the side of caution and care to ensure we're executing the rightly convicted. This means necessarily not executing many that might be guilty of capital crimes. And requires a system with layers of adequate oversight. Difficult stuff, for sure.

The execution has nothing to do with the attack on him. Franklin is being executed for other murders. Flynt is putting himself into a case where he is immaterial.

Oh god, I'm agreeing with RJ again.

Yeah, Larry this is bigger than you.

So...his argument against capital punishment is that it's vengeful. And yet also an easier out for the guilty than rotting away in prison. So the reputedly harsher punishment (rotting in prison) is also the less vengeful?

Anyhow, I've for years favored the death penalty (generally). In theory it makes sense to me as a matter of justice. In reality, it's a lot messier and can obviously be very poorly, err, executed. And if we're going to do it we have to intentionally err on the side of caution and care to ensure we're executing the rightly convicted. This means necessarily not executing many that might be guilty of capital crimes. And requires a system with layers of adequate oversight. Difficult stuff, for sure.

You have just articulated every reason to be opposed. It's a system which has inherent flaws and the risk of executing one innocent person completely dejustifies the DP. You say it's a "matter of justice." What greater injustice than putting an innocent person to death?

Oh, I see the argument. And if we can't do it well we shouldn't do it. I agree. But I have a hard time believing we can never rightly identify those guilty of capital crimes.

Maybe we're really not capable of doing such a thing well enough? In theory, the dp makes sense enough to me. I agree the realities make me less confident with its implementation.

Quite the contrary- I think in many cases, we establish guilt far beyond a reasonable doubt in many cases- whether through investigation or confession. Some truly heinous and vile acts are quite often solved with little question, especially in the age of DNA/related forensics and surveillance. Unfortunately, we can't "kind of have the DP and kind of not have it." And we know there have been innocent people put to death- at the very least, and in deference to the most blood-thirsty right wingers out there, in cases where there was serious doubt as to the guilt of the convicted. And we can't go back and un-do the DP like we do with hundreds of people every year who face prison sentences. Post-conviction exoneration is a fact and one that we can't ignore when it comes to the DP. And I argue that even in those cases where guilt is unquestionable, I believe life in prison is a worse punishment than execution.

OK, then the eschewing of "vengeful" punishments needs to be seen as an impotent argument.

As I've said, it seems a messy and difficult thing. And I've no doubt it has been done poorly or unjustly. I'm just not sure it can't be done justly.

I have never understood the point of calling punishment vengeful as opposed to any other descriptor. Punishment is a consequence and as such is only a deterrent to those who weigh the outcome as less important than the act. But that's the price of a free society, not some Minority Report concept of incarceration for "pre-crime." No matter what the consequence, there will always be those who chose to act. No where is that more evident than in places like North Korea and theocratic fascist regimes where giving a 10-yr old girl a book can get you maimed or killed.

I don't think most who believe in an afterlife believe that many death penalty candidates are in a better place once they die.

I don't think you are right. If they've "found Jesus" and thrown themselves at his mercy and taken him into their heart then, yes, they are right there in Heaven with Mother Theresa. Their double-murder and rape of the family dog are no different than you coveting your neighbor's wife. Jesus died for everyone who believes in him's sins, and one sin is no worse than the other. Ain't that some shit?

Wrangor, amiright?

Last edited:
Back