• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Larry Flynt: Don't Execute The Man Who Paralyzed Me

I don't think you are right. If they've "found Jesus" and thrown themselves at his mercy and taken him into their heart then, yes, they are right there in Heaven with Mother Theresa. Their double-murder and rape of the family dog are no different than you coveting your neighbor's wife. Jesus died for everyone who believes in him's sins, and one sin is no worse than the other. Ain't that some shit?

Wrangor, amiright?

thank god(?) my neighbor's wife is fat.

Hmm...not Wrangor, but I'll respond. I don't think belief or not in an afterlife is necessary to have a perspective one way or another wrt the death penalty.

And the notion that all sins are somehow "equal" is really not biblical or embraced uniformly by Christians. Of course there is a way in which "sin" is "sin" categorically. But not "equally" bad/wrong. See: All Sins Are Not Equal (J.I. Packer).

Of course, Christians are all over the map wrt the dp.

...sorry, I didn't bring it up.

Hmm...not Wrangor, but I'll respond. I don't think belief or not in an afterlife is necessary to have a perspective one way or another wrt the death penalty.

And the notion that all sins are somehow "equal" is really not biblical or embraced uniformly by Christians. Of course there is a way in which "sin" is "sin" categorically. But not "equally" bad/wrong. See: All Sins Are Not Equal (J.I. Packer).

Of course, Christians are all over the map wrt the dp.

...sorry, I didn't bring it up.

hmm, paint me even more confused. That article still didn't clarify who gets into heaven and who doesn't. It pointed out willfulness and people in public trust and all, and I took the last paragraph to mean murderers don't get in, but still very vague.

So which sins did Christ die for to save our souls again? Do I need to give money to a preacher or a church to get a straight answer?

I don't think Packer was trying to suggest who was getting into heaven or who not. I was merely trying to respond to the assertion/implication that Christianity holds all sins to be equal. I think that's more of a modern and anomalous view. Though it is out there. The rest is a real tangent but I'll hazard a quick answer: in most traditional formulations, Jesus saves all those that are his people.

Who is that? How? Why? That information will cost you a few quid, my friend.

Seriously, I think I hear your frustration/irritation. Not really trying to argue, just responding a bit.

Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were on Larry King's show one night saying a woman ax murderer, who was about to be executed in Texas, was going to heaven because she "took Jesus Christ as her personal savior", but that Mother Theresa would never get in because she didn't say those words.

Back