• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

Yeah, the difference is that the number is absurdly high. 10k a month in alimony/child support at his tax bracket amounts to 16k or so a month in pre-tax income (i'm not a tax lawyer so excuse if I do this wrong). That's 160k a year going to child support. That's about 40 percent of his salary.

Oh, in case any of you young smartass associates in the profession haven't figured it out, this profession is all about having clientele. You either have clientele or the profession will push your ass out in favor of cheaper/more efficient options or put a ceiling on your earning potential. So get to networking.

I have heard that a very prominent firm with offices in Charleston, Charlotte, and RTP just forced out almost all or all of their non-IP partners in the RTP office. Uncomfirmed rumor at this point. If anyone has any more inside info on it, would love to hear it. I take some kind of sick joy in seeing big firms fail.

MVA? I've heard the same. From a partner there. So, it is true. Just hasn't gone down yet, publicly.

mandatory $5,900 savings in retirement mixed with having $1 million already in retirement lol. woe is Mr. Owens.

Yeah, the difference is that the number is absurdly high. 10k a month in alimony/child support at his tax bracket amounts to 16k or so a month in pre-tax income (i'm not a tax lawyer so excuse if I do this wrong). That's 160k a year going to child support. That's about 40 percent of his salary.

Oh, in case any of you young smartass associates in the profession haven't figured it out, this profession is all about having clientele. You either have clientele or the profession will push your ass out in favor of cheaper/more efficient options or put a ceiling on your earning potential. So get to networking.

I have heard that a very prominent firm with offices in Charleston, Charlotte, and RTP just forced out almost all or all of their non-IP partners in the RTP office. Uncomfirmed rumor at this point. If anyone has any more inside info on it, would love to hear it. I take some kind of sick joy in seeing big firms fail.

With that description I think I know the firm you are talking about - I used to work there.. I haven't heard anything and it looks like the non-IP partners are still on the website, anyway.

I got in 50 resumes today from the Eastern North Carolina Legal Interview Program. This consisted of resumes from WFU Sol, Cambell SoL, UNC SoL, Elon SoL, and Charlotte LoL. Not a damn one was a good fit and worth interviewing.

Thirty (30) resumes were from Charlotte. The resumes were LOL bad.

I got in 50 resumes today from the Eastern North Carolina Legal Interview Program. This consisted of resumes from WFU Sol, Cambell SoL, UNC SoL, Elon SoL, and Charlotte LoL. Not a damn one was a good fit and worth interviewing.

Thirty (30) resumes were from Charlotte. The resumes were LOL bad.
Steve=narcissistic personality disorder

i hope we can at least all agree that Charlotte School of Law is a sham, if not an outright scam. those people should be ashamed of themselves, creating hundreds of unemployable debt-laden kids every year.

i hope we can at least all agree that Charlotte School of Law is a sham, if not an outright scam. those people should be ashamed of themselves, creating hundreds of unemployable debt-laden kids every year.

Go ahead and throw Charleston School of Law in that category.

I was disgusted to see savannah school of law being built when I was there several years ago.

I'm thinking of applying for a founding faculty position at the Asheville School of Law set to open around 2015

Lawyer joke today on Nonsequitor
142d422064690131b065005056a9545d

Go ahead and throw Charleston School of Law in that category.

Charleston Law actually seems to be gaining a solid rep around here, but they're trying to sell themselves to the same corporation that owns Charlotte Law, so the school is expected to see a huge downturn after its finalized. I read that the company intends to start admitting students that otherwise would never go to law school. Last I hear, applications to Charleston Law have dropped 50% between this and last year.

Charleston Law actually seems to be gaining a solid rep around here, but they're trying to sell themselves to the same corporation that owns Charlotte Law, so the school is expected to see a huge downturn after its finalized. I read that the company intends to start admitting students that otherwise would never go to law school. Last I hear, applications to Charleston Law have dropped 50% between this and last year.

Not what I'm hearing, but in this case I wouldn't mind being wrong. The Infilaw deal is going to be bad on all fronts though, from what I'm reading.

Not what I'm hearing, but in this case I wouldn't mind being wrong. The Infilaw deal is going to be bad on all fronts though, from what I'm reading.

I know plenty of people from there who have gotten jobs at some of the better firms in town and other cities like Atlanta/DC, but the Infilaw deal is going to ruin any progress the school has made. One friend of mine who went to Charleston Law and is now at Georgetown for his LLM said they told him the school would stop considering Charleston students if the Infilaw deal is approved. Some have said they believe the SC Education commission will block it from going through, but I'm pretty skeptical on that claim, and I am certain the ABA will rubberstamp it.

Except for the sellers

Yep. This is the issue. From all I have read, the two controlling owners want this deal to happen regardless of what it means for the school. The third owner offered to donate his share free if the school was sold to CofC, but the others oppose it. It's all about the money.

Yep. This is the issue. From all I have read, the two controlling owners want this deal to happen regardless of what it means for the school. The third owner offered to donate his share free if the school was sold to CofC, but the others oppose it. It's all about the money.

Every for profit law school is all about the money

I really don't know anything about this Infilaw group, but I did see something that said that they were trying to make the schools more instructional rather than theoretical (like more of a trade-school rather than a philosophical school). I can see why that would throw the proponents of academia into a tizzy, but as someone who thinks that whey they teach in lawschool is borderline worthless, I don't see this as a terrible idea. By all accounts they seem to be implementing this philosophy terribly, but I think more experiential teaching in lawschool would greatly benefit law students (I learned a ton from the semester I spent working full-time at our legal clinic and wouldn't have traded that for anything).

Charleston Law was smart and invested a lot in having a great career services department. However, that only worked for so long. As a USC Law student, we are getting a lot more clerkships this year than in the last few years. Judges have been upset that they had to keep firing law clerks from Charleston Law because they weren't passing the bar on the second try.

Jacksonville is flooded with Florida Coastal grads so you have to be careful what you say. One of our paralegals has her law degree from there.

That being said I have a good friend from UF that went to UNC and then Coastal but realized that degree was worthless without more school so got his LLM. Really really smart guy.

I'd pick a Costal grad for a softball team but not a law firm.

Back