• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

Silly thread title, IMO. Law school is not a sham. Certain law schools may be shams, of course - but you can't lump them all together.

Law schools generally do what they are supposed to do - allow you to get some semblance of a legal education to allow you to take the bar exam and, assuming you do your part, become a licensed attorney. If you fail to do the market research and understand what that will mean for you in terms of getting a job, earning decent compensation, etc. - then that is pretty much on you.

Obviously the for-profit schools that play games with their placement and compensation numbers and basically lie to prospective students about their prospects are scum and should be shut down.

As discussed in an article linked here earlier, the free availability of loans to attend exorbitantly-priced law schools are a disaster in the hands of students casting about for a career and too gullible to appropriately gauge the wisdom of taking on huge amounts of student loan debt in exchange for a dubious law degree...

it's a sham because we don't need more fucking lawyers

I've been in this thread before, and I'll state again that I love being a lawyer. This is my 35th year of being licensed. I can't imagine anything better! Your mileage may vary!

i saw someone trip and fall on a wet sidewalk and no empty suits bumrushed him to file a lawsuit. he's right.

We have too many lawyers BUT part of that is older generations are working for longer.

Big Law may do that but not the rest of the legal world.

KtjkBZU.jpg

you think we don't have enough lawyers?

It's just stupid to say we don't need any more lawyers... what do we do when all the current ones age out and die off? I know it is fashionable to make fun of lawyers but many of them do serve useful and necessary functions.

If by "we don't need any more lawyers" you really mean we don't need any more than we have right now, then we still need enough in the pipeline to replace the ones we have now as they retire...

Like most things, the generalizations are just annoying and distracting. Sure, there are many shitty and annoying lawyers mucking up the works. You can say the same thing about most professions - it just happens that lawyers are in the position to cause visible problems so people like to shit on them.

I can certainly agree that we don't need any more shitty lawyers, we have plenty of those.

The idea that going to law school is an automatic path to riches is the real sham, as is the idea that just going to "law school" is a good idea. Ironically, the only people dumb enough to believe either are probably at charlotte law right now, giving them a 0%chance of recouping their investment. I graduated from Wake a year ago, and so far it looks like a very good decision. I think the majority of my class would tell you the same. The vast majority of people I keep up with are employed as attorneys, mostly at smaller or medium-sized firms, and there are of course those that went to big law or clerkships.

Oh, and the idea that I am going to spend the next 50 years doing something I actually like doing seems to be missed by a lot of the commenters.

Are you? Plenty of lawyers aren't.

Back