• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

I don't see it happening. Law schools are a cash cow.

i agree. if admissions go down it's easy enough to lay off some faculty, maybe cut back some bloated administration (less likely). Law schools are a heck of a lot cheaper to run than a lot of other university programs that requires lab space, expensive materials, and tons of grad assistants and so forth. If some fold it will not be a "high profile" law school, which are supported by endowments and have 100 years of goodwill and existing unleveraged capital assets. More likely one of the shitty for-profits that collapses under the weight of its debt.

I mean that depends on what you consider a top law school. He probably considers Emory, where he is a professor, as a top law school. Not sure that would be everybody's definition.

Ohhh the nerd snobbery. No top law schools are closing, least of all Emory, which has all that Coke $$$$, and its a fine law school to boot.

Gotta love the parsing tho.

Forget The LSAT. Arizona's Law School Will Accept Your GRE Scores

From the end of the article:

The University of Hawaii and Wake Forest University in North Carolina are also studying the possibility of switching. GRE officials say about a dozen other schools are showing interest, too.

Yikes. This is not a good sign. I think the GRE thing is coming off (at Arizona at least) as a way for law schools to lower their admission standards without just accepting people with bad LSAT scores. See this article for the logic: http://abovethelaw.com/2016/05/arizona-law-picked-a-fight-with-a-big-dog/

The law school market is in a bad place right now. All schools are lowering their standards to fill their classes because fewer of the people with the top LSAT scores are actually applying to law school, which has led to precipitously dropping bar passage rates when the students who got in because of lowered standards, can't pass the bar.

Wake's law school ranking plummeted last year, I'm not sure this is the answer.

Interesting. There was some talk from the administration my 3L year at my law school that they wanted to do away with the LSAT, but I don't think it would really impact the school very much given the non-traditional legal education it already provides. It would be interesting to see a school like Wake take a step like this and see what happens.

Interesting. There was some talk from the administration my 3L year at my law school that they wanted to do away with the LSAT, but I don't think it would really impact the school very much given the non-traditional legal education it already provides. It would be interesting to see a school like Wake take a step like this and see what happens.

If #NoLSAT is anything like #NoSAT at the undergrad level, a hearty no thanks from this reporter. Truly the last thing we need.

If #NoLSAT is anything like #NoSAT at the undergrad level, a hearty no thanks from this reporter. Truly the last thing we need.

Eh I don't think #NoSAT has been a bad thing for Wake. Most of them still take the SAT anyway, and from my interactions, I think the student body is somewhat less douchy now than it was 10 years ago when I started.

I don't think it works for law schools though because no matter where you go to school, you have to be able to pass the bar at the end, and if your school is cranking out students that can't pass the bar, it looks very bad.

Bad move. LSAT is a good predictor of law school performance and bar passage. Not like SAT. Do not like. Just signed up for a giving commitment to the law school, may rethink if this happens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I remember getting an email a few months back asking current students and more recent law school grads if they would be willing to take the GRE for purposes of studying the issue and seeing what, if any, correlation there is between LSAT and GRE scores. Unless it is eventually shown that the GRE is equal to the LSAT in terms of how well it predicts law school performance and bar passage, I am also opposed. And for that same reason, I don't want Wake out leading the charge on this. Let other schools do it unless and until there is sufficient data to support it.

I remember getting an email a few months back asking current students and more recent law school grads if they would be willing to take the GRE for purposes of studying the issue and seeing what, if any, correlation there is between LSAT and GRE scores. Unless it is eventually shown that the GRE is equal to the LSAT in terms of how well it predicts law school performance and bar passage, I am also opposed. And for that same reason, I don't want Wake out leading the charge on this. Let other schools do it unless and until there is sufficient data to support it.

I agree with your comments. I suspect law school accreditation will start to hang on higher bar passage rates. Without good data on the correlation between GRE scores and bar passage rates, it would be foolish to stop using the LSAT.

Does anyone close to Wake law know what's going on there? Is the school primed to rebound? Or is it still hurting?

How does the LSAT differ from the GRE?

From a US News perspective, we're up 7 spots from the horrific dip last year. This year's employment numbers (that will go into next year's rankings) are better than last year, so we are expecting a little more upward movement. I would love to be consistently in the upper 20s or low 30s, but I think mid to upper 30s is more realistic. Bar passage rate was #1 in NC of NC schools, which is a good thing in and of itself, but also obviously helps the employment numbers. We are overly dependent on tuition as compared to other peer schools and now that Worrell has been finished, the law school's Wake Will priorities are scholarships, scholarships and scholarships. With applications down at all law schools, we need to be able to attract the best candidates and scholarship money is the main way to do that. Overall, I feel good about the direction of the law school, because I have great confidence in Suzanne Reynolds as Dean.

Yeah I thought the dip was just one year and expected due to class of 2013 being shitheads. the handful of 2014 grads here really righted the ship.

I got an email about some recent grads looking for jobs and some of the resumes I reviewed were terribad.

I actually responded to the email that if they were going to send out resumes the students really need to update them and have career services look at them.

What was bad about the resumes?

Back