• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

Perhaps he means in the regards that the essays are graded by any number of any given graders.

Edit: Having read any number of briefs, motions, pleadings, etc., I'm always amazed some of the individuals who passed the essay portion of the bar exam. If you cannot spell judgment correctly, perhaps you should not pass.

Last edited:
Well the bar does have like an 80% pass rate

It's pretty much the definition of a standardized test.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/bar_admissions/basic_overview.html

The most common testing configuration consists of a two-day bar examination, one day of which is devoted to the Multistate Bar Examination (MBE), a standardized 200-item test covering six areas (Constitutional Law, Contracts, Criminal Law, Evidence, Real Property, and Torts). The second day of testing is typically comprised of locally crafted essays from a broader range of subject matters; however, in a growing number of states, two nationally developed tests, the Multistate Essay Examination (MEE) and the Multistate Performance Test (MPT), may be used to round out the test.

I love that term "locally crafted essays" as an attempt to appeal to hipster law students.

They also just added Civil Procedure to the MBE (which was fine with me). Back to the topic at hand though, I don't see how it's not a standardized test at all. The 200 multiple choice is the same for everyone and then the essays, at least in Massachusetts, are graded against one another.

Perhaps he means in the regards that the essays are graded by any number of any given graders.

Edit: Having read any number of briefs, motions, pleadings, etc., I'm always amazed some of the individuals who passed the essay portion of the bar exam. If you cannot spell judgment correctly, perhaps you should not pass.

Yep. The Multi-state is a standardized test. The essay section is not.

I think of a standardized test as being the LSAT/SAT/GRE- stuff that is almost exclusively multiple choice. The bar exam (the makeup of which differs from state to state) consists of (at least in NC) a day of essays and a day of the multi-state. The essays are graded by a group of people, with some review process after a certain grader has read the individual essay. If that counts as standardized, then maybe my definition of standardized needs updating.

They also just added Civil Procedure to the MBE (which was fine with me). Back to the topic at hand though, I don't see how it's not a standardized test at all. The 200 multiple choice is the same for everyone and then the essays, at least in Massachusetts, are graded against one another.

By that definition, isn't every test ever standardized? Aren't all essays in every college class in the country graded against one another?

Yep. The Multi-state is a standardized test. The essay section is not.

I think of a standardized test as being the LSAT/SAT/GRE- stuff that is almost exclusively multiple choice. The bar exam (the makeup of which differs from state to state) consists of (at least in NC) a day of essays and a day of the multi-state. The essays are graded by a group of people, with some review process after a certain grader has read the individual essay. If that counts as standardized, then maybe my definition of standardized needs updating.

SAT and GRE also have essay sections.

Found out I passed the bar last friday. Deifnitely a huge relief. This thread got me through some dark times.

Congratulations on the exam and wishing you the best of success. Old man advice - keep copies of your bar application(s) and supporting docs locked away somewhere and keep track of where you move from time-to-time (home and office) so it is easier to fill out your applications to other states. I am filling out another application more than 20 years after my last application. Somewhat challenging to accurately re-create the last 20+ years of my life. (Fortunately, I won't need to sit for another exam.) It would have been near impossible to answer some of the questions if I hadn't saved the old applications.

Not shocking.

Story from page 1 of this thread.

Not surprisingly, the people who are dumb enough to think that racking up 200k in student debt at Charlotte Law is a good idea are also the same individuals who fall right in the target-LSAT range for Charlotte Law.

I worked in Law School Admissions for three years at a Tier 1 school. Let me relate to you an example:

About three years ago, I received a call from a "prospective" student. LSAT scores had just come back, and call volume was heavy. This particular individual wanted a paper application mailed to him and also wanted to set up a time to visit the campus as he was going to tour North Carolina schools. He was very proud of his LSAT score and told me that he scored "better than perfect." Naturally, I asked him how that was possible. He replied with, "cause I got better than 100 percent - I got 128 percent." I wrote down the individuals name, mailed him a paper application, and then waited.

A few months later I was surfing around the database and the guy's name came up. I remembered our conversation and I decided to find out what happened to him. I first checked Campbell's admittee list; no dice. Then I checked Charlotte Law's list - bam. There's my boy, class of 2013.

I have no idea if he is getting ready to graduate at this point or not - but there is a chance that someone that dumb is getting ready to be a licensed attorney in North Carolina this year.

Back