• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

Isn't the bar exam pretty easy?

Yeah, pretty much. You are graded relative to the other people taking it, and Charlotte School of Law and NC Central take up most of the bottom tier by default. So if you go to any other school there is really no excuse for not passing on the first shot.

Yeah, pretty much. You are graded relative to the other people taking it, and Charlotte School of Law and NC Central take up most of the bottom tier by default. So if you go to any other school there is really no excuse for not passing on the first shot.

RIP

There is a difference between being a practicing professional and a corporate employee. The two overlap in certain scenarios, but that overlap is not necessary. I know very few lawyers from tier 1 schools who have failed at opening their own practice.

. . . But most people from a tier 1 school should be able to do it if they want to. That said, I think tier 1 schools should have mandatory classes on the business side of practice management. But they (especially the one I went to) want to think that all of their grads are going to be arguing constitutional theory for $800/hour charged to a faceless megacorp instead of knowing how to balance their trust account.

Good points. Here is an interesting study of what Tier 1 lawyers actually do for careers when they get out of law school; not what most students imagined going in. http://law.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1162&context=uvalwps

Good points. Here is an interesting study of what Tier 1 lawyers actually do for careers when they get out of law school; not what most students imagined going in. http://law.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1162&context=uvalwps

Neat study.

"One class of the University of Virginia School of Law was studied between their matriculation in 1987 and their graduation in 1990. All 360 living graduates of this class were contacted in 2007, with a response rate of 72.2%."

I would submit that 2008 was the equivalent of a nuclear bomb hitting the legal profession and the data presented in this study won't really apply to folks who entered practice in 2006 and onward. Maybe as things return to "normal," it will be more relevant.

Yeah, pretty much. You are graded relative to the other people taking it, and Charlotte School of Law, Elon and NC Central (Day program) take up most of the bottom tier by default. So if you go to any other school there is really no excuse for not passing on the first shot.

FIFY

I left my litigation firm earlier this year after 4-5 years. I really started to hate my life. Moved into a transactional practice and I couldn't be happier. It's crazy to look back and realize how unhappy everyone was at my old job, from the attorneys to the support staff. I'm really glad I took the steps to leave, which I found pretty difficult to do.

Anyone ever appealed an Insurance Commission fine in NC for lack of WC coverage due to a lapse with no injuries? And I guess been successful?

Anyone ever appealed an Insurance Commission fine in NC for lack of WC coverage due to a lapse with no injuries? And I guess been successful?

Funny choice of thread for the question. I handle cases before the Industrial Commission frequently, but on the other side. I’ll DM you a referral.

I left my litigation firm earlier this year after 4-5 years. I really started to hate my life. Moved into a transactional practice and I couldn't be happier. It's crazy to look back and realize how unhappy everyone was at my old job, from the attorneys to the support staff. I'm really glad I took the steps to leave, which I found pretty difficult to do.

Congratulations on taking the leap. I highly recommend the book "Transforming Practices" by Stephen Keeva. He writes about not letting your profession define you as a person but letting you as a person define your practice. I wish it had been written and I had read it 30 years ago

Any discussion out there about what coronavirus is going to do to law schools? Usually post-grad programs thrive in economic crises but do law schools even have online options?

Any discussion out there about what coronavirus is going to do to law schools? Usually post-grad programs thrive in economic crises but do law schools even have online options?

I think there's only one or two online options currently accredited by the ABA, and I'm not even sure they're fully online. Syracuse maybe has one that you have to take first year classes in person and then you can shift to online if I remember correctly?

As to numbers, if the ABA doesn't shift to accredit more programs to allow online, I think law schools will see a major drop. Like most universities, current students are still taking the semester through zoom or webex or what have you.

More interesting is whether state's will allow licensure without actually taking the bar exam or push the exam until a later date (https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourn...m-in-early-september/?slreturn=20200301065540). I'd have to think the state allowing the exam to be pushed back would grant a practice rule to allow students who are awaiting the September bar to begin work and practice as if licensed. But let's be honest, all the first year associates are getting fired this year anyway.

Anyone concerned about Wake's direction should check out the Volokh Conspiracy post from yesterday on the latest controversy about political correctness at Wake Law.

Curtis is 75+. He should have told the dean to go fuck herself.

Curtis is an incredibly bright and kind man. He did nothing wrong. What a joke.

What word did Curtis say?

He read the Supreme Court opinion in the case of Brandenburg v. Ohio.

Back