• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Law School is a sham

My cousin's husband went to Florida Coastal and passed the bar exam. He is from Jacksonville and knows he wants to stay there. In that scenario it isn't the worst decision in the world. He did well, clerked for a firm, and now works there full time.

OTOH, my former paralegal went there and failed the bar twice before throwing in the towel.

Mrstsy was offered a full ride to go there, but intended to practice in NC. She was very tempted due to the $$ savings, but I'm glad she decided otherwise.

Set to graduate in May and have less than 20 classmates with jobs lined up. Is going to be interesting to see where everyone lands. My guess it that alot will not be in the legal field.

Set to graduate in May and have less than 20 classmates with jobs lined up. Is going to be interesting to see where everyone lands. My guess it that alot will not be in the legal field.

IIRC, the Wake Law Valedictorian is currently negotiating contracts for BB&T.

I would say of my core friend group that just graduated about half have jobs. Most of them are judicial clerkships and essentially everyone at the clerkships from last year currently have jobs. That being said there are a ton of people I went to school with that don't have jobs although those are mostly the people you would expect not to have had jobs given classes I had with them.

I would think with the bar results out up here that people will have a better chance of finding jobs than when they were pending (just stating the obvious).

Tough market up here unless you're interested in IP. One of my buddies said a big firm up here is looking for 20-25 IP associates after cutting a ton of litigation jobs.

I have no idea why people continue go to these law schools....it's hard for me to muster a ton of sympathy given that everyone knows how bad the employment results are at a majority of law schools in this country.

i decided when I applied that if I couldn't get into a good school then I wasn't going to go. Doing otherwise is really taking a gamble

I have no idea why people continue go to these law schools....it's hard for me to muster a ton of sympathy given that everyone knows how bad the employment results are at a majority of law schools in this country.

i decided when I applied that if I couldn't get into a good school then I wasn't going to go. Doing otherwise is really taking a gamble

#subtlelawyerbrag

I know a fair number of people from my class for whom law school has not paid off. I know a lot of people who have gotten great jobs and started great careers. I put myself in the second category, and I'm very happy I went and very happy I got the chance to go to Wake. I would absolutely not recommend going to one of these for profit schools, like Charlotte.

It's inevitable. Add to this automation doing a lot of lawyer work and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Back