• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lawyers of OGB - what are my options?

doubledeac

Reaction score
Marriott cancelled my reservation for the Masters as it was made before the official announcement. The room was paid in full at the time of booking 2 weeks ago (all documented). Received the following email this am:

"Dear Guest,

Our records indicate that you made one or more reservations at the Courtyard Augusta, GA for the week of November 9th. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the Masters Golf Tournament has been rescheduled to this time frame. Our hotel is 100% contracted for the Masters Golf Tournament.

We are bound to honor our contract and will not be able to accommodate your reservations. We value your business and would value the opportunity to move your reservation to another date. For support to do this, please connect with us at: 706-737-3737.

On April 10th 2020 we will be canceling your current reservations booked at the Courtyard Augusta. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,

Gloria Cubero"

Am I just out of luck or is there something that can be done to secure the room/or put Marriott on blast? I am not a big social media user and rarely participate in Twitter.

It probably depends on your contract with them in all honesty, which you'd have to review. It may include a provision that they reserve the right to refuse anyone a room under any condition or something to that effect. So despite taking your money, which they'll refund, they could still cancel the reservation.

How much of your time do you want to waste ?

Give her a call saying that's why you made the reservation.

In situations where someone has a guaranteed reservation but sells out before you arrive, they typically give those patrons a "walk". That means they find you a room and pay for it. This is a unique situation and may not be possible.

Are you a member of Marriott's loyalty program?

You should get your money back and if you challenge them a bit, you could easily get a comp for a couple of nights at another Marriott.

Give her a call saying that's why you made the reservation.

In situations where someone has a guaranteed reservation but sells out before you arrive, they typically give those patrons a "walk". That means they find you a room and pay for it. This is a unique situation and may not be possible.

Are you a member of Marriott's loyalty program?

You should get your money back and if you challenge them a bit, you could easily get a comp for a couple of nights at another Marriott.

Thank you - I will give this a shot. Am part of Bonvoy Rewards but not considerable status.

Hope it works...don't be afraid to go to corporate. They really need to keep customers happy.

Hilton has an "executive support line" that you can google to get the number. Go that route right from the start

Had to cancel travel to London and my flight was covered by travel insurance my company holds but not my hotel since I booked off-system. Spent like 8 hrs on the phone over the course of a couple days trying to get the company's $2000 back to no avail.

i have a similar situation...was going to Spain in May/June and clearly I am not going now, but United is making this shit hard. I cannot cancel unless within 72 hours of the flight. If the flight is canceled they will make me wait a year to get my money back. they are currently being sued about this now, but mine is still too far out and has not officially been canceled. it's like playing chicken for my money back...and yes, they got bailout money (from what i ahve seen).

what can i do?

Marriott cancelled my reservation for the Masters as it was made before the official announcement. The room was paid in full at the time of booking 2 weeks ago (all documented). Received the following email this am:

"Dear Guest,

Our records indicate that you made one or more reservations at the Courtyard Augusta, GA for the week of November 9th. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the Masters Golf Tournament has been rescheduled to this time frame. Our hotel is 100% contracted for the Masters Golf Tournament.

We are bound to honor our contract and will not be able to accommodate your reservations. We value your business and would value the opportunity to move your reservation to another date. For support to do this, please connect with us at: 706-737-3737.

On April 10th 2020 we will be canceling your current reservations booked at the Courtyard Augusta. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,

Gloria Cubero"

Am I just out of luck or is there something that can be done to secure the room/or put Marriott on blast? I am not a big social media user and rarely participate in Twitter.

As long as they refund all your money, you are out of luck, legally.

Without status, it’s not worth pursuing in my opinion. What would do with the couple thousand miles they might throw your way?

i have a similar situation...was going to Spain in May/June and clearly I am not going now, but United is making this shit hard. I cannot cancel unless within 72 hours of the flight. If the flight is canceled they will make me wait a year to get my money back. they are currently being sued about this now, but mine is still too far out and has not officially been canceled. it's like playing chicken for my money back...and yes, they got bailout money (from what i ahve seen).

what can i do?

Wait until United cancels the flight and then fight for a refund.

Had to cancel travel to London and my flight was covered by travel insurance my company holds but not my hotel since I booked off-system. Spent like 8 hrs on the phone over the course of a couple days trying to get the company's $2000 back to no avail.

Call your credit car company.

Call the home office of the hotel.

As long as they refund all your money, you are out of luck, legally.

Without status, it’s not worth pursuing in my opinion. What would do with the couple thousand miles they might throw your way?

Two chicks at the same time, man.

Call your credit car company.

Call the home office of the hotel.

It was a small boutique hotel near my office there, and they didn't seem to care one bit I was threatening to tell all my colleagues never to stay there. Credit card company didn't help, there was a no-refund policy. We can write off the loss anyway, but it was annoying.

When you talk to someone, just keep saying "escalate," and see what happens.

Back