• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

We are now the only Paris agreement non-signee

we are the only country in the world that is a Global Warming denier...lead by imbeciles, teaching Americans to be imbeciles and polluting our population. well done Trump Administration! `

It is crazy how much news coverage climate change gets in every other country other than the US. Did you know that Macron didn't invite Trump to his climate summit next month? Did you even know there was a climate summit in Paris next month?

Get a load of this bullshit. Coal is failing, and DOE's own study showed that it wasn't due to excessive regulation - it's due to cheaper natural gas and renewables. Furthermore, it showed that increasing renewables don't put uncontrollable strain on the grid. That study is here (Link)

So what does DOE do? Tries to push through a new rule that would take taxpayer money to subsidize power plants that have >90 days supply on site (ie, coal and nuclear), claiming it's needed for secure baseload power. Nevermind the fact that coal piles get wet and freeze, and that gas and sometimes energy storage provide baseload. This is billions in taxpayer money to prop up a failing industry that has already fucked over its own employees.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-28/trump-s-coal-man-is-racing-against-the-clock-to-bail-out-plants

There was a piece on NPR this morning that grant requests to the NSF containing the words "climate change" or even just "climate" are down 40%. Even though the org is supposed to be totally independent from gov't influence, people are still worried those words will result in automatic denials. But, it's not to say that people are no longer doing these types of studies, just in how they word their grant proposals.

Clear your website data if needed to read the various pieces here: 2017: The Year in Climate

[i was inspired by Trump to subscribe to the “failing” NYT]

Last edited:
Can’t find if we have a climate change thread

So I’ll just put this here

Clear your website data if needed to read the various pieces here: 2017: The Year in Climate

[i was inspired by Trump to subscribe to the “failing” NYT]

Well that's the most depressing series of articles I've read in awhile.

Turns out the earth has a thermostat to moderate temperature extremes

https://www.studyfinds.org/earth-natural-thermostat-climate/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is great news. We're saved!

I read the source article. It took 8 million years for the weathering process to stabilize the glacial ice age. Setting aside that this was a global cooling episode that was solved by adding CO2 to the atmosphere to warm things up, 8 million years is a long time. That is something like 250000 human generations. Just to but that in context the industrial revolution started about 8 generations ago in the 1760s. We are currently operating on extremely accelerated time scales compared to what nature is used to.

Here is a link to the figures in the paper:
https://www.geochemicalperspectivesletters.org/article1726-figures#Fig1

I read the source article. It took 8 million years for the weathering process to stabilize the glacial ice age. Setting aside that this was a global cooling episode that was solved by adding CO2 to the atmosphere to warm things up, 8 million years is a long time. That is something like 250000 human generations. Just to but that in context the industrial revolution started about 8 generations ago in the 1760s. We are currently operating on extremely accelerated time scales compared to what nature is used to.

Here is a link to the figures in the paper:
https://www.geochemicalperspectivesletters.org/article1726-figures#Fig1
LOL....what they essentially establish is land weathering led to ocean carbonate formation which has been known for a long time chemistry wise but never really shown geologically. I'm not sure why it's actually news of any kind, maybe more proof that the carbon cycle isn't static like was once assumed by the climate crowd. i pointed that process out years ago on here (and was called an idiot). Nice to see that vindicated.

Their actual conclusion is only that IF degassing can push the climate out of balance......always the big IF........then this mechanism might in part re-balance it, whatever "balance" really means. That's like trying to define "normal" human behavior. They don't claim it's "THE" thermostat, just a natural mechanism that would act like one.......if you're a CO2 believer.

LOL....what they essentially establish is land weathering led to ocean carbonate formation which has been known for a long time chemistry wise but never really shown geologically. I'm not sure why it's actually news of any kind, maybe more proof that the carbon cycle isn't static like was once assumed by the climate crowd. i pointed that process out years ago on here (and was called an idiot). Nice to see that vindicated.

Their actual conclusion is only that IF degassing can push the climate out of balance......always the big IF........then this mechanism might in part re-balance it, whatever "balance" really means. That's like trying to define "normal" human behavior. They don't claim it's "THE" thermostat, just a natural mechanism that would act like one.......if you're a CO2 believer.

Ok, but none of your prescient insight years ago changes the fact that the time scale of the mechanism described in this paper are several orders of magnitude larger than the time scales of the changes in CO2 we are currently observing. Basically, the content of this paper is irrelevant.

AI/Humans are going to kill ourselves much quicker than global warming so why worry about it. We are 30 years from singularity acting like climate change is a pressing issue. I firmly believe that the end of humanity or the end of humanity as we no it now will happen within the lifespans of people already born on earth, we are fucked.

Water purity/availability issues and antibiotic resistance will kill us before global warming.

Water purity/availability issues and antibiotic resistance will kill us before global warming.

Yeah Cape Town is 30 days or something from having no water, although you could make a case for it being climate related.

Back