• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Led Zep Accused of stealing Stairway to Heaven Opening

When I heard Aloe Blacc's I'm the man, I was like, that is a COMPLETE rip off of Elton John.

So I looked it up, they totally credited EJ and must have paid for the license up front. Sorry if that was widely known, don't listen to that much pop but that one just stuck out so much and I assumed it was just a cheap rip off
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_(Aloe_Blacc_song)

The chorus of that song sucks so hard that it makes me mad when I hear it.

So basically many of Zeppelins biggest songs were ripped off from others. That's really creative.

Zepp wasn't the most creative band in history. They just rocked the hardest.

I mean..some early jazz musician could probably claim coming up with the ii-V-I chord progression. Would be tough for his ancestors to win the trillion dollars he's owed...

Welcome back Captain Hyperbole. What a moronic statement.

"When Led Zeppelin were previously accused of plagiarising songs – tracks such as Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and The Lemon Song – they settled each of the lawsuits out of court."

And now Stairway to Heaven.....that's many.....how many other bands have settled this many cases for plagiarism?

"When Led Zeppelin were previously accused of plagiarising songs – tracks such as Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and The Lemon Song – they settled each of the lawsuits out of court."

And now Stairway to Heaven.....that's many.....how many other bands have settled this many cases for plagiarism?

Lady Antebellum have settled 3 already in their short career (2 very quietly; 1 not-so-quietly), and accusations followed by settlements happen far more often than you realize, if only because it's often the easiest and cheapest solution to a claim. As an artist gets bigger in stature, they become a bigger and bigger target for claims - and you don't get much bigger than Led Zeppelin. Admittedly, some of the claims are legit; others, like this one, are bullshit IMO. You can find a musicologist who will make an 'expert' claim of similarity enough to get you past summary judgment, and boom - you're in settlement land. I'm living it right now with a client and it's fucking infuriating.

Last edited:
Lady Antebellum have settled 3 already in their short career (2 very quietly; 1 not-so-quietly), and accusations followed by settlements happen far more often than you realize, if only because it's often the easiest and cheapest solution to a claim. As an artist gets bigger in stature, they become a bigger and bigger target for claims - and you don't get much bigger than Led Zeppelin. Admittedly, some of the claims are legit; others, like this one, are bullshit IMO. You can find a musicologist who will make an 'expert' claim of similarity enough to get you past summary judgment, and boom - you're in settlement land. I'm living it right now with a client and it's fucking infuriating.

Dude the spirit ripoff is a no brainer

Lady Antebellum needs to be less Lady and more Bellum.

The girl is cute and all but their sound is light years better when Charles Kelly is singing.

Back