• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Led Zep Accused of stealing Stairway to Heaven Opening

I love Led Zep, but that have a history of stealing music. This is no exception. I just wonder why it took 45 years to sue.

and Jimmy Page is ripped off by Mother's Finest on a cover of Mickey's Monkey. (Zep never sued)

I recall Jeff Beck complaining that Jimmy Page stole his idea for the band and its sound. Beck and Rod Stewart had formed a band after Beck left the Yardbirds (Page played bass guitar along side Beck in that band). However, he was in an accident and out of the picture for a year. Page stole the sound and ideas, Stewart released Every Picture Tells A Story (Maggie Mae), and Beck wallowed in obscurity for a number of years.

I'll never understand how George Harrison was sued successfully over My Sweet Lord by the old Motown group who did He's So Fine. Harrison later came out with a tune with lyrics that "he came up with this naturally", it was a pretty funny response.

But, I don't understand the new rules as I hear old songs literally note for note in "new" music. Never figured how the new groups get away with it. (Plus, years ago there was a song - pre rap and hip hop - not sure what the genre was called - the put urban lyrics over "Computer World" by Kraftwerk).

and Jimmy Page is ripped off by Mother's Finest on a cover of Mickey's Monkey. (Zep never sued)

I hear it twice in there. Main riff, which they could get away with, and that bridge part throughout the song, but first evident at :46. That one to me is more egregious than the main riff.

The Rush one would never stand up in court. Sounds like a basic riff off G to me.

Larger point here is that given LZ's history of blatantly ripping off people, I am not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on Stairway. I hope Spirit wins.

I'm still angry at LZ for not letting Peter Jackson use any cuts for LOTR. Tell me w/ a straight face that Fellowship wouldn't be better if "Ramble On" started blasting during the credts...

yeah no didn't mean Rush was suit-worthy, just a cool example of copping licks and making them your own ( believe they mentioned they twisted Heartbreaker in an interview). I was in a band once that took the Sweet Home Alabama riff and just did it backwards. Of course we never recorded or made a penny but so easy to do

I'm still angry at LZ for not letting Peter Jackson use any cuts for LOTR. Tell me w/ a straight face that Fellowship wouldn't be better if "Ramble On" started blasting during the credts...

wait, jackson tried for this?

Naw, but it would have been awesome right?

Imagine Battle of Evermore playing over the first appearance of the Ringwraiths!!

nah

not DURING the movie

maybe closing credits

Ramble On would have been perfect at the end of either Fellow or Two Towers. OH WELL

Is there a website like WhoSampled for rock music?

When I heard Aloe Blacc's I'm the man, I was like, that is a COMPLETE rip off of Elton John.

So I looked it up, they totally credited EJ and must have paid for the license up front. Sorry if that was widely known, don't listen to that much pop but that one just stuck out so much and I assumed it was just a cheap rip off
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_(Aloe_Blacc_song)

Back