• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lengthy [Redacted] Interview with Gold Rush

Reaction score
http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041811aaa.html

Gold Rush: What do you take away from the season?
[Redacted]: The main focus of this last season was to establish a culture that will allow our teams in the future to play to their fullest potential. And we made tremendous strides in that area.

Gold Rush: Obviously it's the first step in a long journey.
[Redacted]: Correct. We need to just continue to show improvement on a daily basis. This year, obviously, the record was not reflective of how much we improved in creating the culture.

Thankfully, it got a little better after that. Nothing groundbreaking though.

I just don't understand why we keep jumping all over him for talking about culture. I understand that it gets redundant after a while, but it's the truth.

Things that went on behind the scenes to set Wake on the path they need to be academically and athletically clearly went better than things on the court did.

I just don't understand why we keep jumping all over him for talking about culture. I understand that it gets redundant after a while, but it's the truth.

Things that went on behind the scenes to set Wake on the path they need to be academically and athletically clearly went better than things on the court did.

explain

Obviously we need to get better on the basketball court because 8-24 is unacceptable. I'm not talking about the level of athletes (because it appears that we are getting less talented "athletes").

Also, there are a lot of things that take time to build the framework for a basketball team's future, especially when you have to install a new offense to guys that did not learn a ton of fundamentals.

Last edited:
That doesn't explain the quote.

We haven't had academic problems that I remember since Skeen got suspended. I would rather sacrifice some academic excellence for wins. There is a lot of space between being Harvard and having Maryland's graduation rate.

Wait. Didn't we start three freshmen and one sophomore for most of the year? I'm confused.

Also, there are a lot of things that take time to build the framework for a basketball team's future, especially when you have to install a new offense to guys that did not learn a ton of fundamentals.

Obviously we need to get better on the basketball court because 8-24 is unacceptable. I'm not talking about the level of athletes (because it appears that we are getting less talented "athletes").

That explains nothing about how "Things that went on behind the scenes to set Wake on the path they need to be athletically clearly went better than things on the court did."

Wait. Didn't we start three freshmen and one sophomore for most of the year? I'm confused.

Yes...what's your point? The whole team had a lot of learning to do in terms of fundamentals. It was painfully obvious at the open practice that he was still installing basic basketball fundamentals even at that late stage of the year.

Jake, that's just a personal preference, and I think we differ in that opinion. I think we sacrifice a fair amount already, and when we had guys that were so focused on the NBA that the team suffered as a result (because guys weren't listening to the coach and doing their own thing instead).

That explains nothing about how "Things that went on behind the scenes to set Wake on the path they need to be athletically clearly went better than things on the court did."

Athletically was a poor word choice, I didn't really mean that. Apologies for lack of choosing a better word.

I actually think I meant the opposite. They need to be better, more sound basketball players as opposed to just "athletes". My bad on being vague and misleading.

I think we sacrifice a fair amount already, and when we had guys that were so focused on the NBA that the team suffered as a result (because guys weren't listening to the coach and doing their own thing instead.

We also got to number one in the country, had a chance to win a national title, made two NCAA tourneys and churned out 3 first round draft picks.

It's probably just me, but I'm as proud as our 100% graduation rate as I am of our #1 ranking a couple of years ago.

The way I see it: Wake will NEVER win a title under [Redacted]. Wake COULD HAVE won a title under the old "culture"

I'd rather have a chance to win the title with two and gone players than have [Redacted]'s system.

Just my two cents though.

The way I see it: Wake will NEVER win a title under [Redacted]. Wake COULD HAVE won a title under the old "culture"

I'd rather have a chance to win the title with two and gone players than have [Redacted]'s system.

Just my two cents though.

There is no problem with 2 and done players if it does not harm the team in the long run. I know that it is a double-edged sword (we wouldn't have been as good without them, but I don't think we could ever go far with them in the tourney).

There is no problem with 2 and done players if it does not harm the team in the long run. I know that it is a double-edged sword (we wouldn't have been as good without them, but I don't think we could ever go far with them in the tourney).

Hmm?

Back