• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lent

seventwofour

Reaction score
This discussion pops up most every year, but I think it's always worthwhile. I have a pretty strong Christian background, but currently do not practice. Lent can manifest itself in many different ways, for both the religious and non-religious. Regardless of motivation, I think the practice of self-awareness raising is worthwhile for anyone. I haven't participated in Lent in several years, but thinking about it this year. Anyone else?

This discussion pops up most every year, but I think it's always worthwhile. I have a pretty strong Christian background, but currently do not practice. Lent can manifest itself in many different ways, for both the religious and non-religious. Regardless of motivation, I think the practice of self-awareness raising is worthwhile for anyone. I haven't participated in Lent in several years, but thinking about it this year. Anyone else?

not sure about this year. i hadn't really done anything in the past until last year when i gave up beer/liquor/wine. Thought of doing the same but I got some weekends during Lent where I plan on raging. I agree that giving up something can be worthwhile, but by no means should everyone feel they need to give up something

I see no personal spiritual value in deprivation. But then, this is a part of one of the spiritual texts/sources of my religion "Sing, feast, dance, make music and love, all in My Presence, for Mine is the ecstasy of the spirit and Mine also is joy on earth" and so I think there's a bit of the Hedonistic in my spiritual outlook

i haven't done anything for lent in quite a while. i think too often it's used as a diet method, rather than spiritual growth method. when i did used to do something for lent, it was typically actually adding something in, rather than getting rid of something (like additional devotional time or something every day). i really believe that 75% of the people that give something up for lent only do it because they can guilt themselves into sticking with a diet for 40 days.

I've never participated since growing up Presbyterian it was never something we did. Maybe this year I'll give up alcohol ;) (considering I haven't had any since mid-September and won't be able to have any until early June it shouldn't be too tough!)

I'd go for the "gentlemen's gambit" of Lent and give up masturbating, but I would worry the furious bull stream of semen would be so strong upon the first post-Lenten sex session I'd immediately impregnate my girlfriend past all layers of birth control and condoms.

I'd go for the "gentlemen's gambit" of Lent and give up masturbating, but I would worry the furious bull stream of semen would be so strong upon the first post-Lenten sex session I'd immediately impregnate my girlfriend past all layers of birth control and condoms.

Your premise is horribly flawed. First, you could still have sex with your girlfriend during Lent, so no semen backup there. Second, even if you couldn't masturbate or have sex during Lent, you could still masturbate before having sex with your girlfriend, thus avoiding the nuclear semen you're worried about. Third, viable mature sperm die after about two weeks, so most of the buildup would have died anyway.

I plan on not watching WFU men's basketball win any games during Lent.

i haven't done anything for lent in quite a while. i think too often it's used as a diet method, rather than spiritual growth method. when i did used to do something for lent, it was typically actually adding something in, rather than getting rid of something (like additional devotional time or something every day). i really believe that 75% of the people that give something up for lent only do it because they can guilt themselves into sticking with a diet for 40 days.

That's what I normally do. I also make it a point to go to the Wednesday night services, unfortunately with my work schedule this year, those may not be an option and will be something that I will miss.

Your premise is horribly flawed. First, you could still have sex with your girlfriend during Lent, so no semen backup there. Second, even if you couldn't masturbate or have sex during Lent, you could still masturbate before having sex with your girlfriend, thus avoiding the nuclear semen you're worried about. Third, viable mature sperm die after about two weeks, so most of the buildup would have died anyway.

Gentlemen's gambit involves no sex either. Otherwise yea you have good points.

Having been forced to go to catholic school growing up, I was always pissed when lent rolled around. "What do you mean I can't eat meat? Go fuck yourself and unfreeze some burger patties."

I am going to give up lying. Specifically I am going to stop lying when my mom calls to 'check in'. She is definitely overbearing but that should not justify me lying to her. For instance she always asks what I am eating, how my room looks, and I always answer positively when in reality I am usually eating Bojangles and my room usually looks like crap.

Having been forced to go to catholic school growing up, I was always pissed when lent rolled around. "What do you mean I can't eat meat? Go fuck yourself and unfreeze some burger patties."

I like the fish on Fridays thinkg because I like fish.

Back