• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lent

according to Catholics, I am over age to fast. I'll just say an extra prayer for all the Heathens on this thread

Last edited:
I am going to give up lying. Specifically I am going to stop lying when my mom calls to 'check in'. She is definitely overbearing but that should not justify me lying to her. For instance she always asks what I am eating, how my room looks, and I always answer positively when in reality I am usually eating Bojangles and my room usually looks like crap.

...your mother calls to ask if your room is clean?

fair enough.

personally, i'm going to make a conscious effort to live what I say. there's more to it than that, but that's the short answer.

With a deprivation-themed Lent I tend to obsess over my own deprivation rather than Christ's sacrifice and suffering. I prefer spending Lent sincerely trying to love my neighbor as myself, forgive abundantly, share generously, go the extra mile, etc. I'm not entirely successful but it's a better focus for me than giving up my comfort foods for 6 weeks and hopefully will benefit another human being or two.

With a deprivation-themed Lent I tend to obsess over my own deprivation rather than Christ's sacrifice and suffering. I prefer spending Lent sincerely trying to love my neighbor as myself, forgive abundantly, share generously, go the extra mile, etc. I'm not entirely successful but it's a better focus for me than giving up my comfort foods for 6 weeks and hopefully will benefit another human being or two.

this is a good longer answer to what i'm striving for.

the way i figure, Christ sacrificed for the benefit of mankind. me sacrificing something (coffee?) doesn't do anything to benefit anyone else... so while i understand the sentiment of putting myself in those shoes, i feel like it's better for everyone if i still drink coffee and try to be a better person in the world. :noidea:

Last edited:
Last year I went to church every Sunday. I have a lot of problems with the Church but I did enjoy going to mass and having time for reflection.

I try to think of Lent as a way to improve various aspects of myself, with the understanding that it's extremely difficult to give up something meaningful 100%. For example, I tried to "give up" complaining a few years back. It's obviously impossible to go 40-50 days without complaining, but attempting to do so makes you much more self-aware.

I intentionally try to eat meat on Fridays during Lent, just because.

Never practiced Lent. If I were to, I'd probably try not cussing.

Which would effectively mean no Wake basketball for me.

I read somewhere that the whole "fish on Fridays" thing was just a ploy to boost the early Italian (Roman) fishing industry... might be true, might be internet fiction.

How did "Christ's sacrifice benefit mankind"???

Jesus sacrificed himself to atone for our sins, of course. Oh, also so we wouldn't have to sacrifice baby animals to appease God. Because, really, who likes killing baby animals?

I grew up going to a Baptist Church (wouldn't call myself Baptist now, just kind of a generic Christian I guess) and never really heard anything about Lent until college. My hometown only has a few Catholics. I've had doubts about faith off and on for a while and while I do believe, I don't go to church and don't really intend to start going anytime in the foreseeable future. I might consider playing the personal relationship with God and try to pray more though.

You shouldn't think about Lent as if you have to "give up" something.

The purpose is to glorify and appreciate the gifts that God has given us. So what I've done in years past is every day reach out and send a handwritten letter to a friend or someone who has affected my life positively. Or you can do 40 random acts of kindness like my roommate did last year.

I've also given up drinking before and two years ago I gave up radio in the car. That kinda sucked.

Back