• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Les Déplorables

But actually in all seriousness:

Why do conservatives oppose the "intellectual elites" but not other kinds of elites? Some Americans practically worship Trump because he is (supposedly) very rich and successful. Should be more like "I don't oppose all elites, just intellectual ones."

To borrow from Churchill, they'll still be stupid in the morning. Doesn't mean they won't be rich elite someday.

I just looked up "Yorick" so I too could post a smart quote like Phan and Townie and most of the returns are about an episode of Empire.

I mean this earnestly but realize it can be taken any number of ways, but why would anyone want to take pride or want to be a part of opposing intellectual elites?

People look at the world through their own eyes and if they believe intellectual elites are wrong then they likely have some reason to believe that (be it a legitimate or misguided reason, unfortunately it doesn't matter). People take pride in standing up for what they believe, especially disenfranchised people who might not have much else to take pride in. If they believe "the eggheads in Washington" screwed them again and are screwing them for whatever reason, then why wouldn't they take pride in "opposing" that, especially if it is something that similarly minded people can come together on...Ultimately I'd guess it's not much different than why we all post on a Wake Forest Message board and (likely) have an irrational disdain for UNC or Duke.

I think it is "Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him, Horatio".......but I'm not completely sure about that and would defer to the intellectual elites on the board.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite
jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath bore me on his back a
thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is!
My gorge rises at it.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite
jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath bore me on his back a
thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is!
My gorge rises at it.

Now that is one smart sounding quote! Buy this man a beer.

Objectively, there are "intellectual elites" in our society - we can all agree on that correct?

The issue as I see it, is the usurping of individual rights by the state. "Elites" or those who consider themselves such have a habit of wanting to project their plans (Obamacare for example) on those who are considered their inferiors. It really does not matter how smart those in charge are, people want to make there own choices and not be dictated to be government.

Maybe just my view as a Libertarian.

Back