• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's Eliminate Sports Welfare

$662K. Wow.

If somebody comes to your high school with a $360K donation for locker rooms, tell them you'll take a small portion for sports, some for academics, and the rest to buy them a clue.

$662K. Wow.

If somebody comes to your high school with a $360K donation for locker rooms, tell them you'll take a small portion for sports, some for academics, and the rest to buy them a clue.

Arrowhead was the school district next to mine when I lived in Wisconsin. When I moved there people were telling me I HAD to find a way to get my kids in the Arrowhead program. Keep in mind my son was TWO at the time. Super competitive group of people. I had been introduced to people in my town and it was followed up by..he played football of Arrowhead as if that was supposed to impress me. Arrowhead does send a good number of kids to colleges on football scholarship, which is great I guess. The school district I lived in produced some kid named JJ Watt, so not everyone has to attend Arrowhead.

The Next Two World Cups Could Be Accomplished Under Horrendous Labor Conditions

FIFA Slaves Banned From Attending Relatives' Funerals

Trio of corporate sponsors denounce FIFA for migrant worker conditions in Qatar

“We know FIFA is working with Qatari authorities to address questions regarding specific labor and human rights issues,” the soft drinks company said in a statement from its Atlanta headquarters. “We expect FIFA to continue taking these matters seriously and to work toward further progress.

Coca-Cola really putting on the pressure, there.

(To be fair, Sony and Johnson & Johnson have pulled their sponsorships.)

Doyel: Absurd Indy 500 television blackout continues

You can watch the Indy 500 on live TV just about anywhere in the world, and everywhere in America. Everywhere but this one spot that we — and the Indy 500 — call home.

Since 1951, it's been blacked out in the Indianapolis area, which I realize isn't news to most of you. But you do realize that's preposterous, yes? The blackout is all about business and attendance and butts in the seats, understood, but it's preposterous.

Because you're funding this party.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway asked the state to authorize $100 million in bonds in 2013, and Gov. Mike Pence approved the deal for IMS without getting a concession that would make so much sense:

You can have our help, IMS.

But you have to let us watch the race on live TV.

So I posted about this on the NHL thread, but I'm adding it here too, because I love to bump my own threads. (Luckily for you all, I don't start very many.)

Two years back, I posted about the Coyotes, and how the NHL was selling the team, and the buyer wouldn't commit without a deal in place with the city of Glendale. The city council ended up giving in and agreeing to pay the Coyotes $15MM per year to run their own team. The team convinced them partly by promising them certain revenue streams. But the risk was all on the city, if the revenue streams fell short of the teams lofty projections, the city would take the hit. Two years in, with a few new council members, the city has realized this deal wasn't so great, and voted last night to void the deal. It's a 15 year contract, however, so now the legal battle begins.

Glendale council votes to kill Coyotes deal

John Oliver on public funding of sports stadiums

So countries use public money for World Cups and Olympics. Does Europe use public money for soccer stadiums in EPL or German leagues?

So I posted about this on the NHL thread, but I'm adding it here too, because I love to bump my own threads. (Luckily for you all, I don't start very many.)

Two years back, I posted about the Coyotes, and how the NHL was selling the team, and the buyer wouldn't commit without a deal in place with the city of Glendale. The city council ended up giving in and agreeing to pay the Coyotes $15MM per year to run their own team. The team convinced them partly by promising them certain revenue streams. But the risk was all on the city, if the revenue streams fell short of the teams lofty projections, the city would take the hit. Two years in, with a few new council members, the city has realized this deal wasn't so great, and voted last night to void the deal. It's a 15 year contract, however, so now the legal battle begins.

Glendale council votes to kill Coyotes deal

The Coyotes and Glendale have reached an agreement:

Coyotes and Glendale end stalemate; come to two-year lease agreement

The city will now pay the Coyotes $6.5MM per year, which is what they found it would cost to hire a company to manage the arena without the Coyotes there. The risk is now with the team if their projected revenues continue to fall short of forecasts.

Braves road and bridge projects push public cost past $300m, still no one sure where money will come from

I initially missed this one when it happened last week: The Georgia state transportation department approved $18.9 million in funding for road projects to support Cobb County’s new Atlanta Braves stadium, including money for new message boards to help direct traffic and highway and pedestrian improvements near the stadium. I think we’re still at $276 million in direct public subsidies for the stadium (which you can watch being built via webcam right here, if you want to see what taxpayers are getting for their money, or just like cranes), so adding the cost of upgrading highways so tens of thousands of people can actually get to the middle of nowhere at the same time to watch baseball would bring the total cost to $294.9 million.

And we’re not done yet, because the state refused to pay for that delayed pedestrian and shuttle-bus bridge that is set to leave Braves fans walking along the side of a highway to get to games for at least the stadium’s first season. The bridge itself is projected to cost $9 million (though nobody apparently really thinks it can be built for that amount), plus another $3.5 million is needed to upgrade a parking deck that it would connect to. Right now nobody knows where the money will come from, though the Atlanta Journal Constitution’s James Salzer has some ideas:

You would think Florida would have learned their lesson from the Marlins stadium. You'd be wrong, though!

Bonds OK’d for WPB baseball stadium; now race is on to open by 2017

The cost of repaying the principal and interest for the bonds over 30 years will total $232.9 million. The teams already had agreed to pay $67 million toward the debt service; the rest will come from $116 million in revenue from a county hotel tax and $50 million from the state.

After the approvals, the teams passed out Nationals and Astros caps to each of the commissioners.

This is about the last Super Bowl.

The NFL is about making money, even though it’s a not-for-profit institution that paid its CEO nearly $30 million in 2012. It’s making more than $9 billion annually, and the projections put it at close to tripling it to more than $25 billion by 2027. That isn’t stopping the league and the owners from pocketing public money, with And through it’s money making schemes, with 68% of NFL stadium construction costs since 1923 coming from taxpayer money. It has also has come up with some interesting ways to keep the money coming out of the pockets of the fans coming to see the game: No tailgating allowed, while pretty much forcing fans to come through buses called the fan express, which will cost $51 to go on, picking up and dropping off passengers at nine locations around the region. Fans can also take N.J. Transit (one of the worst in the nation) to the MetLife Stadium stop or be dropped off by vehicles that must have parking passes.
http://sportige.com/the-nfl-is-even-more-greedy-than-usual-in-this-super-bowl-01-29-2014/

Back