• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

yes, and he's averaging 2.7 per game over his previous 49 games at WF - roughly the same as #s 1 and 2 on the list, Childress and Gray* - and far greater than anyone else in WF history

*(those guys shot from a line almost 2.5 feet closer)
Well, and he's half the time shooting even beyond our current line

The most surprising part of this post to me (by far) is that Mucius is in the top 15 of this list. He was a career 33% 3Point shooter and made less than one per game his first two years. I guess playing 20+ mpg for 4 years really vaults you up lists like these

Yeah, Carr is a better shooter and shoots 3's at a slightly higher volume, but even if he comes back next year, he would need to amp up the 3-point shooting to catch Mucius. Parker, on the other hand, will get there.

Mucius took 404 3's in 116 games (3.4 a game), so yeah he took a good number and was here for a while. 197 his senior year at a 36% clip isn't bad.

My favorite part of tonight's game occured early in the first half. The ball moved quickly outside of the perimeter, everyone getting a touch. Everyone was open. When the ball hit Damari's hands he hesitated, but made the fourth pass in the sequence to Reid in the corner. Reid immediately returned the ball to Damari with a look of aggravation on his face that Monsanto had passed up the shot. Damari didn't hesitate and all the ball touched was the bottom of the net for three. Something good has to be going on for Monsanto to pass on a three point shot. He is playing the best team basketball we have had the privledge to see. Doing the little things that win games with joy. If Marsh can continue to contribute this team could have a strong eight man rotation.

Monsanto has now played 64 minutes over 5 games.

We have given up 134 points over those minutes - 84.1 points allowed per 40 minutes. It was 94 per 40 before last night.

We are still +12 with him on the floor. Just incredible to be that athletically limited at present and still have that big an impact on the offensive end.

My hope is he can get back to the point where he's just a slight drag on our defensive numbers while providing this same offensive lift by the ACC tourney. We're scary if that can take place.

My favorite part of tonight's game occured early in the first half. The ball moved quickly outside of the perimeter, everyone getting a touch. Everyone was open. When the ball hit Damari's hands he hesitated, but made the fourth pass in the sequence to Reid in the corner. Reid immediately returned the ball to Damari with a look of aggravation on his face that Monsanto had passed up the shot. Damari didn't hesitate and all the ball touched was the bottom of the net for three. Something good has to be going on for Monsanto to pass on a three point shot. He is playing the best team basketball we have had the privledge to see. Doing the little things that win games with joy. If Marsh can continue to contribute this team could have a strong eight man rotation.
There was another play in the 2nd half where we were clearly passing the ball quickly around the perimeter to get an open 3 and Hildreth ended up with the ball at the top of the key. He started to pass it around to his left and noticed there was literally nobody between him and the basket, so he stopped his pass and just drove into the lane. He was immediately mauled by help defense and got to shoot FTs.

Just made me laugh because it looked like we were working the ball around and GT just kind of forgot to play Cam. Or anywhere inside the paint, for that matter.

We have given up 134 points over those minutes - 84.1 points allowed per 40 minutes. It was 94 per 40 before last night.

We are still +12 with him on the floor. Just incredible to be that athletically limited at present and still have that big an impact on the offensive end.

My hope is he can get back to the point where he's just a slight drag on our defensive numbers while providing this same offensive lift by the ACC tourney. We're scary if that can take place.

He's definitely limited to guarding 4s right now. Took me seeing him in person to fully realize how much of a liability he is on defense. His size still allows him to not be worthless on that end, but it's not pretty.

He's also completely a spot-up shooter on offense. Hasn't even attempted a 2 point shot yet.

IMHO, that pass to Reid got Monsanto a better shot. Reid was alone in the corner. Really alone. Monsanto's defender took a step toward Reid before the return pass and was out of the way when Monsanto shot.

Damari's involvement, or lack thereof, in the halftime warmup was telling. I suspect we'll be managing his minutes pretty tightly for the rest of the season.

Damari's involvement, or lack thereof, in the halftime warmup was telling. I suspect we'll be managing his minutes pretty tightly for the rest of the season.
It's a tough call. Need him to play to get to the post season. Need him to be healthy to make noise in the post season.

Monsanto has 12 3PM in only 64 minutes played (all against ACC competition). That's 7.5 made threes per 40 minutes.

In his best season, JJ Redick had 4.42 3pm/40. Curry had 5.4 3pm/40. The NCAA leader in single season 3pm is Antoine Davis last year, at 5.2 3PM/40.

Monsanto is unprecedented.

Last edited:
Back