• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

When discussing great shooters at Wake, please don't (ever) forget Charlie Davis. To remember Charlie Davis, you would have to be at least as old as me, and my memories of him are scarce. Hard to compare someone who played without a 3-point shot and without the shot clock to today's players--midrange game and closer was rewarded. Distance shots came mostly against packed zone defenses. But CD could flat-out shoot.

Was that the double OT loss at Clemson? I recollect that might have been our best comeback ever if we had finished it off.

Yep.

I believe it's the one where Steve Lepore airballed a free throw also.

You and him both. I believe he said almost exactly that in the post game press conference today.
"I don't ever think I'm gonna miss, my confidence is that high. So that's how I came into the game."

He's not the most talkative player Wake has ... but like his shot has no wasted motion, his quotes have no wasted words.

Expect a slow go at first. Damari needs to get into game shape and he will have to adjust to ACC level play. If he can provide scoring off the bench he will be a bonus. An added bonus will be rebounding at under 4 minutes per rebound. That is better than anyone on the team.

Minutes may be limited by his defense. That's the skill putting the most stress on the achilles. Everyone in the eight man rotation is contributing on D, individually and as a unit. Forbes won't allow a weak link to a impact its continued development.

Imagine a big lineup of Williams, Monsanto, Mucius, Laravia and Walton/Sy. Don't be surprised to see it by tournament time.
they said during the game it was his patellar tendon which, in my somewhat educated opinion, is harder to return from than an Achilles or ACL

they said during the game it was his patellar tendon which, in my somewhat educated opinion, is harder to return from than an Achilles or ACL
You're responding to a post from 2 years ago ... when he was returning from the torn Achilles.

Also that's a hell of a call from @BlackjackMc because that big lineup was awesome later in the season for that team.

Why not? It is a legitimate question as a sports fan, not some sort of weird-ass jinx. I ask the same question about LaMelo Ball, Gordon Hayward, and Jaycee Horn. There are certain guys who can't stay healthy, for whatever reason. It isn't disrespectful to discuss that reality and how best to maximize their play when they are available. But keep on with some Ron Wellman bury your head in the sand type shit.
chuckle… you do realize that trying to throw out some Ron Wellman to distract from your having shat upon yourself isn’t helping you, don’t you?

Patellar tendon tear is rough…happened to me 20 years ago and I bounced back fine after 6-7 months. Nowhere close to as hard as an Achilles rehab…unfortunately ruptured mine last July and I still can’t do an unassisted single leg calf raise. The fact that Damari has come back from both of these injuries within two years is incredible - even more respect for the guy.

Yeah I have also tore my Achilles and my ACL (different legs). The ACL was much easier to come back from. My Achilles on my left leg…I just never had the lift on jumping again. Not sure if others had the same issues, but it just never was able.

Yeah I have also tore my Achilles and my ACL (different legs). The ACL was much easier to come back from. My Achilles on my left leg…I just never had the lift on jumping again. Not sure if others had the same issues, but it just never was able.
Tore my Achilles in high school. It still feels weird in cold weather after 20 years. I even wear an ankle brace sometimes for stability.

I must have torn my left achilles in utero.

Saturday will be Damari's 50th game in a WF uniform. If he makes three 3's, he'll move past Zeke Mucius into 13th place on the all-time made 3-pointers list at WF.

Saturday will be Damari's 50th game in a WF uniform. If he makes three 3's, he'll move past Zeke Mucius into 13th place on the all-time made 3-pointers list at WF.
Three is what he made against GaTech.

If he was fully healthy for 3 years he’d probably have the all time spot

Three is what he made against GaTech.

yes, and he's averaging 2.7 per game over his previous 49 games at WF - roughly the same as #s 1 and 2 on the list, Childress and Gray* - and far greater than anyone else in WF history

*(those guys shot from a line almost 2.5 feet closer)

The most surprising part of this post to me (by far) is that Mucius is in the top 15 of this list. He was a career 33% 3Point shooter and made less than one per game his first two years. I guess playing 20+ mpg for 4 years really vaults you up lists like these

Back