• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Letter to Hatch- don't send to Wellman/Canned Hatch repsonse

Getting rid of Bz isn't very reassuring if Wellman runs the next search.

If Wellman was a) foolish enough to think he could get away with what appears to any reasonable observer to be a buddy-hire, and b) foolish enough to think he could get away with avoiding an uncomfortable fire, does he have any credibility to run the next search?

THIS hire was DOA. If Wellman runs the next one, it will be too. #bzfired #RonRetired.

I have mentioned on both this board and TOB before that I didn't grow up as a Wake fan--I grew up as a Davidson and UNC fan (Dad went to Davidson and UNC Law, Mom went to UNC). I went to Davidson, so I'm still a Wildcat, and I didn't become a Wake fan until I started law school in the fall of 2002, and any prior allegiance I had to UNC went down the drain during the course of our 30-0 thrashing of them in football at Groves that fall. During that ten-year stretch, I have thrown remotes, screamed at TVs, and scared the bejeezus out of our two chocolate labs from frustration with the Deacs.

After last night's game, something occurred to me. My formative basketball-watching years were from the mid-to-late 80's until I went to college in '94. I barely remember the last of Carl Tacy's teams (Delany Rudd and others), and I distinctly remember the Staak years. The thing that I remember thinking about the Sam Ivy/Ralph Kitley teams was how sad it must be to be a Wake Forest fan. One of those teams upset one of the J.R. Reid Carolina teams in Greensboro, and I remember how mortified I was by that--like I'd never live it down. Wake under [Redacted] has become everything I remember Wake being under Staak. It isn't just that we are an afterthought to the rest of college basketball, but that we are downright pitiful (and pitiable).

I told someone the other day that Wake ought to offer a new major in Gallows Humor, as it is absolutely necessary to survive the Wake fan experience right now.

I distinctly remember the Staak years. The thing that I remember thinking about the Sam Ivy/Ralph Kitley teams was how sad it must be to be a Wake Forest fan. One of those teams upset one of the J.R. Reid Carolina teams in Greensboro, and I remember how mortified I was by that--like I'd never live it down. Wake under [Redacted] has become everything I remember Wake being under Staak. It isn't just that we are an afterthought to the rest of college basketball, but that we are downright pitiful (and pitiable).

The only flaws I see in this are that the ACC was stronger back then and any of Staak's teams would actually beat Bz's team. Hell, at the age of 40+ they may still be able to take them. Greg Keith could get some quality pt in that game.

"I told someone the other day that Wake ought to offer a new major in Gallows Humor, as it is absolutely necessary to survive the Wake fan experience right now."

The problem is some wouldn't get the humor and hang themselves.

As much as the President likes basketball, maybe we can petition the White House.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

We'd easily meet the first threshold. Meeting the second threshold will be a bit more challenging.

To cross the first threshold and be searchable within WhiteHouse.gov, a petition must reach 150 signatures within 30 days.

To cross the second threshold and require a response, a petition must reach 25,000 signatures within 30 days.

Briefly, the "culture change" excuse is revisionary BS. The hard-to-argue response referred to the opinion that Hatch may be part of this situation, not the go-to solution.

As said before, I think RW saw in Butler a model he desired for WFU. He and Dino disagreed about the type of player we should pursue. Ironically, it was the reverse roles that got TOB fired by Yow. The disagreement was about talent level, not "character" issues. Dino wanted to be able to recruit the best talent. He lost that debate. There were other issues between the two as well.

"Culture change" has been spun to imply that there were "character" issues with Dino's teams that didnt exist before or since. Not really true. The only difference was that for a few years player problems were publicly aired. If that was part of a greater strategy to justify a course of events is unknowable by us. What is known but not publicly acknowledged is that similar problems happened before but were addressed privately. The same thing has happened over the last two or three years ... just didnt get the publicity that the earlier ones did. Amazingly, folks think if they dont know about something, it must have never happened. What has happened is that we are losing and damaging our fan support at historical levels.

If this is true, then Ron Wellman is a truly terrible human being. Thanks for the clarification, BabyDeac.

"I told someone the other day that Wake ought to offer a new major in Gallows Humor, as it is absolutely necessary to survive the Wake fan experience right now."

The problem is some wouldn't get the humor and hang themselves.

RJKomedian

Here's his response:

"Dear Rick,

Thank you for your message, and your interest in and commitment to Wake Forest athletics. I understand your concerns. We will do everything we can to restore our athletic programs to excellence and prominence.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch
President

EVERYONE here should email him.

We brought PTI to their knees.....

Same response just a few minutes ago...the auto-responder must run at 3:00 PM EST.

Same response just a few minutes ago...the auto-responder must run at 3:00 PM EST.

It just took them a few hours to figure out how to setup the auto reply feature with rules.

At least he acknowledged the need to restore something. Beats "Oh Heavens Yes!"

Here's his response:

"Dear Rick,

Thank you for your message, and your interest in and commitment to Wake Forest athletics. I understand your concerns. We will do everything we can to restore our athletic programs to excellence and prominence.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch
President

EVERYONE here should email him.

We brought PTI to their knees.....

what happened with PTI?

Back