• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liability question: paying someone to blow leaves off roof

Perfect example of lawyering.
You're also leaving off the part about it being "mysterious," which I never came close to saying. I don't think Windy's sales director position is mysterious, but I will readily admit I have an extremely limited understanding of what he does or how he does it.

You're also leaving off the part about it being "mysterious," which I never came close to saying. I don't think Windy's sales director position is mysterious, but I will readily admit I have an extremely limited understanding of what he does or how he does it.

Conferences
Golf
Titty bar
Blackmail

Aside from surgeons I don't think any of here do anything notably difficult.

I don’t understand why it’s difficult to understand the initial Windy comment, not the bullshit that’s written down in Property Law: Rules and Practices Volume 12 by Essex and Thayer LLP.

The statement is if an illegal falls off a roof and they are afraid to report it, does it make a sound? Appears to be less real world liability to me.

I have a guy that does this kind of work. He is a Mexican and he always says to please hire Mexicans cause they do a good job and they want the money. I have never asked him about his immigration status or insurance but he does damn good work. I tip him really well, normally 50-100%. This is real life without candy canes and shades.

Anyways, I understand Downeast concerns and I’m glad he got an answer.

I don’t understand why it’s difficult to understand the initial Windy comment, not the bullshit that’s written down in Property Law: Rules and Practices Volume 12 by Essex and Thayer LLP.

The statement is if an illegal falls off a roof and they are afraid to report it, does it make a sound? Appears to be less real world liability to me.
Essex and Thayer LLP would NEVER fall off a roof. They have Boots on the Ground at ALL times.

In what scenarios would a homeowner be liable for a hired worker falling off the roof? bumping their ladder? distracting them with boobs?

In what scenarios would a homeowner be liable for a hired worker falling off the roof? bumping their ladder? distracting them with boobs?
Yeah the negligence/culpability is difficult to nail down on that one for the homeowner.

Maybe if they misrepresented the state of the roof? Provided shoddy materials for the worker if they didn't have their own? Not really sure beyond that.

if someone falls off your roof, you can almost guarantee they are going to make it your problem, whether it is their fault or not.

sure but there are roofers and other tradesmen working on roofs all over the country every single day and somehow our legal system has not ground to a half because of people suing homeowners.

Yeah - everybody is getting sued if something goes awry in this situation.
Absolutely. Let the folks on the other side of the V sort it out. When I was practicing it was primarily dealing with architects and engineers and if something was wrong with the house or building, everybody got sued to make sure the plaintiff both hit the statute of limitations and didn’t waive any claims/fail to include a potentially liable party.

Hell half the discovery was just all the defendants fighting over whose fault it really was and negotiating what percentage of the settlement everybody would be willing to pay

Back