• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liability question: paying someone to blow leaves off roof

I've always handled this task myself, but getting to the age when it's probably not the best idea for me to keep doing it going forward. And realizing that you can be sued for literally anything by anybody, what are the general risks and precautions of paying someone to do this job?
There's plenty of guys around here who offer that service as part of their lawncare duties, but I'm guessing most don't have liability insurance. And TBH other than having a tree service take down trees close to my house (in case he dropped one right thru my living room), I've never asked for it from a guy mowing my lawn, painting my house, fixing my toilet, etc. But tromping on my roof just and falling off seems like it might be ripe for an "I'm on top of it"-type lawyer.
My roof is ranch-style, i.e. not inherently risky as far as pitch, and I do have an umbrella policy. I'd require the guy to use his own ladder, blower, etc. to lessen any contributory liability on my end.
Thoughts?
Awful to say this, but this is why people hire immigrants who are here without papers.

whatever you do don’t hire one of your basketball players to do it because your house will inevitably get tp’d next time you’re on vacation

what does that have to do with people hiring immigrants without papers to do work around the margins
Windy's statement was that people hire undocumented immigrants to avoid liability. If they do, they are stupid, because undocumented immigrants can file lawsuits and workers' compensation claims.

Windy it looks like a new tier 2 law donk has arrived to challenge you.
I will admit, I found it humorous that DownEast started a thread asking for legal advice while bashing the lawyers who could have easily provided an answer, and the first person to respond was Windy. Fuck you guys, I'm going home.

Windy's statement was that people hire undocumented immigrants to avoid liability. If they do, they are stupid, because undocumented immigrants can file lawsuits and workers' compensation claims.

Doesn't make him factually incorrect. He wasn't offering up a take on whether it was right.

of course they can. But being undocumented many times they are scared to, believing they will be deported.
Feel free to tell me i'm wrong....

Back