• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liability question: paying someone to blow leaves off roof

I have been referring to an employment relationship because (1) the homeowner is not an employer and (2) I'm not sure how a homeowner would know whether the contractor they hire is documented or not.
the homeowner is the employer in this case looking to hire a guy

I have been referring to an employment relationship because (1) the homeowner is not an employer and (2) I'm not sure how a homeowner would know whether the contractor they hire is documented or not.
What the fuck are you even talking about. Do you think undocumented immigrants do not have legal rights of any kind?
No you haven't. You decided to be a condescending ass to my statement and are now being called out as such and backpedaling because you are wrong.

the homeowner is the employer in this case looking to hire a guy
Yeah, that might be the disconnect. He's not an "employer." He is a contractor, hiring another contractor.

If he was an employer, he would be subject to liability for workers' compensation in the event of an accident.

No you haven't. You decided to be a condescending ass to my statement and are now being called out as such and backpedaling because you are wrong.
On one hand, I'm probably the only person here who has tried (and won) multiple cases where someone was severely injured after falling off of a roof. On the other hand, we have your uninformed feelings. I just can't decide.

So...how do you know/verify if someone that looks/sounds like an immigrant is undocumented?

Just hire a company that's insured.
A company's insurance is not going to protect you from liability to them. It would only protect them for liability to you. Like if they damaged your property or injured you or some other non-employee. Now if the company had worker's comp, that could bring some other factors into play. But if someone gets injured on your property, it's going to be your homeowners insurance that comes into play if you get sued.

A company's insurance is not going to protect you from liability to them. It would only protect them for liability to you. Like if they damaged your property or injured you or some other non-employee. Now if the company had worker's comp, that could bring some other factors into play. But if someone gets injured on your property, it's going to be your homeowners insurance that comes into play if you get sued.

Pretty sure if you hire a company of any size that’s insured then their insurance includes workers compensation and will cover their employees injuries, generally.

Back