• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Light Beer Blind Taste Test

Shiner's other offerings are hit and miss. I've always liked their light blonde (deserves a mention in a thread about light beer), but they axed their regular Shiner Light years ago for some reason and it was good. I like their Oktoberfest quite a bit. Bought one of their variety packs last week though and they need to cease production of their strawberry blonde shit ASAP. Yuck. They had a smokehouse offering that tasted like mesquite chips too, and that one was pretty nasty. Their prickly pear could go and I wouldn't miss it, but I can actually tolerate that one, probably because it's unique. Their IPA was unexceptional, though not so hoppy. Kosmos was fine.

Yuengling Lager (4.5% alcohol and 128 calories) > Yuengling Light (3.2% alcohol, 99 calories). Make the right pick.

They should be selling Yuengling Light in Oklahoma, where all beer is 3.2

I like the original, Kosmos, and Ruby Redbird for easy drinking.

Shiner's other offerings are hit and miss. I've always liked their light blonde (deserves a mention in a thread about light beer), but they axed their regular Shiner Light years ago for some reason and it was good.

Wait, really? The light blue accented cans were the light, right? I haven't looked closely, but I'd swear I still see it around

I like the original, Kosmos, and Ruby Redbird for easy drinking.

I'll have a ruby redbird every once in a while, but I'm not sure I've even tried their other offerings.

Wait, really? The light blue accented cans were the light, right? I haven't looked closely, but I'd swear I still see it around

Those are likely the Shiner Light Blonde. They used to have a dark Shiner that was a light beer-- Shiner Bock Light, basically. This one: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/12415/

If they still have it, I haven't seen it in stores in years.

ETA that the site says it was a lighter colored light beer, but to me it tasted like Shiner minus a bit of the bite.

I'm surprised by the number of people who calorie count when selecting a beer. Not judging - to each his own and all that. I'm just surprised. I couldn't tell you the caloric content of any of the 7-8 varieties currently in my fridge.

My ATL hottake is that Creature Comforts is super overrated. Ive had a sixer of Tropicalia in my fridge for a month now that I have had 2 of maybe.

Its an over hoppy IPA and you can only barely taste any citrus, so it sort of fails on both levels for me. The best creature comforts for me is probably their automatic pale ale. If I want a local IPA its going to be sweetwater, and if I want a fruity IPA i think New Belgium's Citridelia is mucho mejor.

I think Eventide and Jekyl are putting out better beers than CC.

I think it goes down tremendously smooth for an IPA

Really liked the Summer seasonal for Sweetwater

Something else.

yuengling-black-tan-bottle-500x500.jpg

Those are likely the Shiner Light Blonde. They used to have a dark Shiner that was a light beer-- Shiner Bock Light, basically. This one: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/12415/

If they still have it, I haven't seen it in stores in years.

ETA that the site says it was a lighter colored light beer, but to me it tasted like Shiner minus a bit of the bite.

Oh, thanks. Yeah, that's not at all what I was imagining.

Back