• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Little League World Series (NWT)

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Does anybody on here actually watch this? I don't think I've ever met a person who follows the LLWS but I guess these people exist, as ESPN continues to cover the event.

Also, watching Nomar on Sportscenter try to break down the strengths and weaknesses of a 12 year old is kind of creepy.

I thought it was cool way back in the day when they would only show the final game and the US representative would usually get destroyed by Chinese Taipei.

Then ESPN got a hold of it, they started showing like sub-regional quarterfinal games, and I'm pretty sure LL changed the rules so that now the US wins all the time.

So now I kind of hate it.

I thought it was cool way back in the day when they would only show the final game and the US representative would usually get destroyed by Chinese Taipei.

Then ESPN got a hold of it, they started showing like sub-regional quarterfinal games, and I'm pretty sure LL changed the rules so that now the US wins all the time.

So now I kind of hate it.
What rules were those? Were they the ones about players actually being 13 years old and not the 17 year old kids the Chinese were sending over?

My neighbor pointed out LL plays on fields that are the same size as what the t-ball kids play on. His kid plays on a travel team and the base lines are bigger. Apparently there is a debate between which league is better.

I don't schedule my day around it, but I'll watch a few innings here and there. Good drama in the elimination games.

The W-S team won the state last year and played on ESPN in the regional tournament. At least one kid on that team with a WFU dad. Pretty cool to see neighborhood kids playing on TV.

My neighbor pointed out LL plays on fields that are the same size as what the t-ball kids play on. His kid plays on a travel team and the base lines are bigger. Apparently there is a debate between which league is better.

This is mostly true. When I played growing up our fields were bigger.

What rules were those? Were they the ones about players actually being 13 years old and not the 17 year old kids the Chinese were sending over?

I think it actually had to do with residency requirements, or some such something. Don't recall them ever being nailed with having old players (certainly not 17). That was the US kid from the Bronx.

From wikipedia:

From 1997 to 2002, no teams from Taiwan participated in the tournament. In 1996 or 1997, the Taiwan Baseball Association decided its leagues would no longer charter with Little League, claiming inability to comply with rules enacted in 1992 regarding the maximum size of player pools and number of participating teams in leagues based at schools, and residency requirements, which Little League Baseball had stated it would enforce more strictly, especially after the 1992 incident. From the introduction of Far East teams in 1967 until after 1996, Taiwan had won 17 of a possible 30 championships and had been runners-up twice

I can't stand the LLWS especially when it delays a program that I actually do want to watch. Which is worse, the LLWS or the women's softball tournament?

Does anybody on here actually watch this? I don't think I've ever met a person who follows the LLWS but I guess these people exist, as ESPN continues to cover the event.

Also, watching Nomar on Sportscenter try to break down the strengths and weaknesses of a 12 year old is kind of creepy.

i watch all the time when it's on and i can. watching now. do i follow it? no. but i just think it's good entertainment. i like to see the quality of plays they CAN make, b/c some are awesome. i like to watch the post pubescent kid with the pituitary problem that is 6'4" 220 and just crushes. i like to watch the super disciplined japanese teams and their weird chanting and screaming almost warlike...

and it's cool to root for the US regions. whatever, i think it's fun. rather watch this than 2nd half NFL preseason (unless it's your team)...

Based on the logic presented in the high school football thread, if you watch LLWS you are a pedophile.

I grew up playing LL. I had an older brother who was cut from an All Star team from our league that made it to Williamsport but lost to one of those Taiwan teams.

The journey was as fanatical as March Madness.

Many years later, a friend of mine from that team showed me his scrap book and it was truly phenomenal. You'd be amazed at how level headed, mature and down to earth these kids can be.

There was 41,000 people at the game tonight according to ESPN. Apparently some people like it.

41k is unusual according to the locals around here. I live 30 minutes away from Williamsport. People are very excited about the LLWS b/c a local town is representing the region this year (lock haven I think).

Well it was on about 30 of 40 TVs when I went to my buddy's place for a late lunch yesterday. Of course a team of Huntingbeach Beach was wiping out a team from Rhode Island.

Back