• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LJVM Renovation Plans ?

Could we slap a basketball court in the LJVM Annex and play there for a year versus going to Greensboro?

I think Winston-Salem State used to play there occasionally, but I could be wrong
Women's basketball used to play there occasionally. IIRC a few games had issues due to uncontrollable moisture on the floor due to playing above the ice.

Approximately $50M for GT - full gut

Approximately $63M for Clemson - full gut

A full gut would be best - the lower bowl really has too much of gradual slope - but can we get that done for the rumored $40M given the numbers above?

And does the number Manning's website mentions include what has been done to date on the "guts" of the building already or is that all future $?

A year in Greensboro would be small sacrifice if they do this right...

I went to Wake before students could afford BMW and Range Rovers. We played hoops in a WWII Quonset hut. We thought we were wearing a mask and a gun when we paid $5 million with Winston Salem to get a coliseum. Had to play a season in Greensboro. It was the best deal in the history of college athletics. To see Wake Forest take this over and do this is just amazing from my perspective. Just want you to know.

Women's basketball used to play there occasionally. IIRC a few games had issues due to uncontrollable moisture on the floor due to playing above the ice.

We played one OGB game there once in early 90s. (1991 IIRC) Currently, it's probably not practical for ACC or even non-conf games. Inside is not in great shape and Wake or someone would have to pour a good bit of money in to make it work.

Not to mention minor league hockey coming to town (again) and it's used considerably by locals as only rink in town.

I will be shocked if the reno is $80M. At that price I would be closer to agreeing with you that we just raze it and start over. But, I will believe that number when I hear it. Some of the problems you mention can be fixed, I believe, or at least mitigated. I guess we will have to wait and see what they are planning.

I'm glad we had this discussion now. You won't be able to back away when the 80 million number is formally announced.

We got a million problems with our athletic programs and this stupid thread is worried about our coliseum. I'll reserve judgement till it's done

I went to Wake before students could afford BMW and Range Rovers. We played hoops in a WWII Quonset hut. We thought we were wearing a mask and a gun when we paid $5 million with Winston Salem to get a coliseum. Had to play a season in Greensboro. It was the best deal in the history of college athletics. To see Wake Forest take this over and do this is just amazing from my perspective. Just want you to know.

Wake never played a full season in Greensboro but starting in '81-'82 we played almost all of our "home" ACC games there. This continued until the Joel opened in '89.

A Million !

maxresdefault.jpg

On the other hand, what are you going to say if the number is $40M?

"It's still an awful deal, awful location, Wes Miller is a great coach and would be able to sell out every game in any size stadium."

Agreed

Joel is 1.8 miles from quad. Dean Dome is 1.7 from the pit.

The quad measurement was from the Chapel. 1.7 from the pit. Pit to Pit is equal distance to basketball arenas.

But, like, there are campus buildings and stuff in between them. And theReff also forgets that there are literally dormitories across the street from the Dean Dome.

Agree as well....and don't change the name. I've spent most of my years since graduation hundreds of miles from Winston-Salem. Most college basketball fans I have known recognize "The Joel" as the home court of the Deacons.

On the other hand, what are you going to say if the number is $40M?

That's the thing, I would have been ok with a 10-20 million dollar deal that buys 7-8 years (as your original post argued). But once you get up to 50-80 million this is a 25 more year deal. That puts us over 50 years in this poorly designed civic center. No way is that the right thing for our tiny private basketball school.

This is a critical long-term decision for our basketball program that will define the next 30 years. It should not be made by a 70 year old outgoing AD. We need input from those who have had success in basketball and life. Mr Wellman simply has not made the proper moves for our basketball program. The next AD should make this decision.

Last edited:
Approximately $50M for GT - full gut

Approximately $63M for Clemson - full gut

A full gut would be best - the lower bowl really has too much of gradual slope - but can we get that done for the rumored $40M given the numbers above?

And does the number Manning's website mentions include what has been done to date on the "guts" of the building already or is that all future $?

A year in Greensboro would be small sacrifice if they do this right...

Those are older buildings than the Joel.

Back