• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LJVM Renovation Plans ?

meh looks #contrived to me

Isn't the point of all arena lighting effects to be contrived? Outside of fans creating their own lighting effects with flash lights from home, everything from an arena (music, crowd noise amplified, lighting, promos, etc) is artificially creating atmosphere.

Oh man, I put a LED light and dimmer switch in my walk-in closet a few months ago. Very similar effect.

Blogger So Dear had an article about needing a new scoreboard today. Check it here, if you haven't seen it yet: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...asketball-technology-facilities-ljvm-hd-score

From what I have heard ftom a source inside the bball staff, this is a done deal. We're getting a new scoreboard. Apparently a massive HD one similar in design to the new ones like in the Cowboys' stadium. But clearly scaled to the Joel's size.

Our video board is very similar in size and quality to the one in Trask Coliseum at UNCW, which only seats 5000.

Graduation is gonna be bumpin'!!!

The Joel switched out all the lighting to LED. See their twitter for the lighting effects they can do now (click the tweet below fire more examples). It'll make gameday program lighting much more involved/intricate.

One of the reasons why they likely made the switch has to do with minimum lighting requirements for televising games. I know my local Arena just did a lighting upgrade so they could host NCAA events, likely the same motivator here.

If it wasn't clear already, it is now to those doubters. Behind closed doors they have decided to renovate, rather than rip down the disaster that is and was the Joel Coliseum. We are complete dumbasses. We are a 4K student school doubling down on renovations to a building 3 times too big. Decisions have consequences in life. We continue to make bad ones. 30 more years of losing. The future AD is about to have his hands tied by a 70 year old outgoing AD. Sad to watch it unfold before our very eyes.

Last edited:
If it wasn't clear already, it is now to those doubters. Behind closed doors they have decided to renovate, rather than rip down the disaster that is and was the Joel Coliseum. We are complete dumbasses. We are a 4K student school doubling down on renovations to a building 3 times too big. Decisions have consequences in life. We continue to make bad ones. 30 more years of losing. The future AD is about to have his hands tied by a 70 year old outgoing AD. Sad to watch it unfold before our very eyes.

Wake is an 8k student school. So it's only 1.5 times too big, and only 15 more years of losing. Did I do that right?

What does the size of our arena have to do with the success of our basketball team? There are plenty of bad basketball schools with small arenas.

No one but your elrod-slurping self thought they were going to tear down the Joel.

No one but your elrod-slurping self thought they were going to tear down the Joel.

I told you they weren't. We are making a horrible decision. Now is the only time to speak up. I'm speaking up.

They said in 1989 no one was opposed. They won't be able to say that going forward. I'm opposed. We are going to keep losing. Our next chance to fix this will now be 30 years from now. See you then.

Back