• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobo

I've never seen a team pass all over a team like we did tonight and then the OC try to run draws and sweeps on the following plays. Baffling. Simply baffling.

I've never seen a team pass all over a team like we did tonight and then the OC try to run draws and sweeps on the following plays. Baffling. Simply baffling.

I agree that it was frustrating, but they did adjust coverage and pressures well in the locker room and Price was getting killed in the 2nd half. It's not as simple as you are making it out to be.

Plus it seemed like our sweeps and options to the short side of the field. Ran two straight in the 3rd. qtr.

Any OC will say (correctly) that you have to mix it up and cant be predictable. We had to run, to keep them honest. My biggest complaint was the lateral runs rather than quick hits, traps, draws, etc. Running east/west doesnt turn out too well when the opponent is bigger, faster, and stronger.

Any OC will say (correctly) that you have to mix it up and cant be predictable. We had to run, to keep them honest. My biggest complaint was the lateral runs rather than quick hits, traps, draws, etc. Running east/west doesnt turn out too well when the opponent is bigger, faster, and stronger.

I agree 100%

Yeah, but at some point, you gotta do what you're good at doing. We have a team that struggles to run the ball. A 60-40 run-pass isn't going to get the job done.

Exactly. But Pendergrass was having some success in the first half. Our line was playing pretty well. This game was lost in the trenches. They wore us down on both sides of the ball. Their five star linemen were just better at the end of the day.

Yeah, but at some point, you gotta do what you're good at doing. We have a team that struggles to run the ball. A 60-40 run-pass isn't going to get the job done.

I dont disagree (intentional use of a double negative).

To me, the biggest issue was two trips inside the ten with nothing to show for them. We score there and it's a whole different ball game.

Exactly. But Pendergrass was having some success in the first half. Our line was playing pretty well. This game was lost in the trenches. They wore us down on both sides of the ball. Their five star linemen were just better at the end of the day.

Kind of how I feel about it. That and a couple of mistakes like the D not being set for their TD and the Fumble. That is an 8 point swing at minimum, 14 at best.

Yep. Coaching tricks are only going to get you so far when the other team is just flat out better. I actually was pretty proud of our guys. They played hard and gave 'em a heck of a game.

Yep. Coaching tricks are only going to get you so far when the other team is just flat out better. I actually was pretty proud of our guys. They played hard and gave 'em a heck of a game.

The "other team" was just not "flat out better". Wake SHOULD have won the game.

ND was 5-3 and we were 5-3.

It's really quite funny to see how so many people are awed by Notre Dame. In another way, it's kind of sad.

That's pretty much how all of us felt. And the Notre Dame fans I talked to didn't say anything about the Irish having a bad day. They thought Wake was a tough, gritty team and they felt lucky to win. And whoever made the comment this felt like the Nebraska game nailed it. We had our chances. If we don't fumble it away down in the shadow of the goal line and tie the game who knows what would have happened.

The "other team" was just not "flat out better". Wake SHOULD have won the game.

ND was 5-3 and we were 5-3.

It's really quite funny to see how so many people are awed by Notre Dame. In another way, it's kind of sad.

Serious questions. Were you at the game? Did you see the size and speed of their players? Their O line? Were you at all objective?

If you think the talent was comparable, I dont quite know what to tell you. And by the way, records is a terrible way to compare teams.

Serious questions. Were you at the game? Did you see the size and speed of their players? Their O line? Were you at all objective?

If you think the talent was comparable, I dont quite know what to tell you. And by the way, records is a terrible way to compare teams.

They had better players. Not sure they are the better team necessarily. We had the edge at QB, and that is about it.

I'm disappointed in Lobo's playcalling tonight as well, but the simple fact is that until we get some bigger bodies on the defensive line, we're going to be playing from behind any time we go up against a team with a big, strong offensive line. We're just too damn small up front, and we get pushed around too easily. Notre Dame could have chosen to run on every single play and still would have won the ballgame because we simply couldn't stop them from picking up five yards at a time if they were inclined to do it.

The best we can hope for in games like that is that the other team will make some mistakes that will keep us in it (like that stupid second interception they threw).

The fact that we had first-and-goal twice in the second half and came away with no points is hard to fathom. I'm sure it has been said elsewhere (this is the first thread I've read), but the Pendergrass fumble, the holding call that negated Camp's big gain into the red zone, and Tanner taking a 12 yard loss on the sack on first and goal were the plays that decided the game and kept us from having a chance to win.

If you had told me before the game started that we would have 17 points at halftime and would hold Notre Dame to 24 total, I'd have told you we were going to win.

I've never seen our fans so in awe with a 5-3 team with one good win and other wins against very mediocre competition.

Back