• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOCK, DELETE.

Thought I remembered you saying you didn't think Jennings was going to be all that great this year? Maybe something to do with his swing or something? I dunno, I make up shit all the time, so I could be wrong....

doubtful... i love him. and his swing. maybe you were thinking of this (about ian desmond):

i think desmond's going to flop. i hate his approach. i'll probably draft him to hedge my big mouth.

For those in the Board's Roto Re-draft fantasy league- don't forget the draft is tomorrow at 8pm. We still have a spot or two if anyone wants to join at the last minute.

I can't believe the draft is tomorrow. I am really profoundly fucked.

On the other hand, the least amount of prep I'd ever done for a draft was last year before taking the title. Sooooo...maybe by doing no prep whatsoever, as is the case this year, I'll really kick some ass.

Royals 2012 Opening Day Rotation: Hochevar, Chen, Sanchez, Paulino, Duffy
Royals 2013 Opening Day Rotation: Shields, Santana, Guthrie, Davis, Mendoza

Officially worried about Matt Moore. What is the deal?

BGTEGq9CQAIEaXD.jpg

Apologize for length, but Rany has an interesting discussion of Alex Gordon as most underrated player in baseball:

As Exhibit A, the prosecution presents the following list, of the players with the most Wins Above Replacement over the last two years:

Player bWAR

Justin Verlander 15.9
Ryan Braun 14.5
Miguel Cabrera 14.2
Ben Zobrist 14.0
Robinson Cano 13.4
Alex Gordon 13.3
Dustin Pedroia 12.5
Clayton Kershaw 12.5
Cliff Lee 12.5
Andrew McCutchen 12.3
Adrian Beltre 12.3

Over the last two years, Alex Gordon has been the sixth-best player in the major leagues. But if you were to ask the casual fan, I doubt he’d make the list of the six best players in the AL Central. And frankly, the writers aren’t much better. In 2011, Gordon got three 10th-place votes for AL MVP. Last year, he got none. In neither year did he make the All-Star team. Josh Hamilton was the starting left fielder for the AL both years. Aside from the fact that Hamilton played nearly as much center field as left field the last two years, Hamilton’s value over the last two years combined (6.9 bWAR) was less than Gordon’s value in 2011 alone (7.1 bWAR).

Go to your average fan and assert that Alex Gordon is a better ballplayer than Josh Hamilton. Wait for the laughter to die down. It may take a while.

same with zobrist, who has a longer track record.

End of Rany's discussion of Gordon:

Does that mean Gordon’s the most underrated player in the game?

No, because of the guy two slots ahead of him on the list above. Ben Zobrist might have a lower Q rating than even Gordon, even though Zobrist has been a better player for a lot longer. Gordon, at least, was the #2 overall pick out of college and the best prospect in the game once upon a time. Zobrist was a sixth-round pick, and while he hit .318 in the minors, his career high in home runs was seven. In his first shot at the majors, he hit .224/.260/.311; the following year, in 97 at-bats he hit .155. (And in one of the worst moves of my fantasy career, I released him from my Stratomatic team after his sophomore season. Oops.)

Since then Zobrist has hit .267/.367/.462. He plays for Tampa Bay, so while he’s played for a perennial contender, he also plays in one of the worst markets in the game and in a ballpark which masks his excellence. Gordon has changed positions once in his career; Zobrist changes positions once or twice a week, and has legitimate Gold Glove talent in both right field and second base, which is an exceptionally rare skill set. Gordon makes around $10 million a year on his long-term contract; Zobrist makes $5.5 million this year, with club options for $7 million and $7.5 million for 2014 and 2015.

So no, Alex Gordon is not the most underrated player in baseball. He might be the second-most, though.

I have no idea who any of these people are that the Rays sent to Clearwater.

But hey, Mike Fontenot is a Ray. (Well, for now anyway.) Probably my last chance to post one of my favorite gifs:

fontenot.gif

I believe both the Cubs and Giants had the The Riot to Fontenot LSU champion connection

I liked Fontenot - he wasn't a bad 2B, but I like him better as a PH and utility guy.

the rays lineup today was dreadful. vettleson's a good prospect, though, avalon.

the rays lineup today was dreadful. vettleson's a good prospect, though, avalon.

isn't there some kind of rule that you have to send a certain number of regulars on spring away trips? Lobatron, Sean-Rod and Roberts are probs the only ones that went to Clearwater who will be on the opening day roster

No rule - the Cubs and Angels had a bit of spat about it this spring after the Cubs sent a no name split squad to the Angels game a couple of weeks back with only a couple of players that are likely to make the team and then the Angels responded by sending a no name team back to HoHoKam. And they still almost beat us.

Back