• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lol at the new WakeWill campaign

It doesn't seem like there's much of a commitment to excellence from the university. I wish I could say it's just because I've been away from NC for 12 years, but my friends in the Winston area feel the same way. I visited campus this summer and while some of the new buildings were nice and seemed necessary (Farrell Hall), most of it seemed superfluous. All the new construction just reeked of administrative bloat, justifying administrative bloat, and making room for more students with more tuition dollars to pay for administrative bloat. I haven't looked at the Wake Will list of spending priorities in awhile, but my initial impression was that they were trying figure out what people would spend millions of dollars on rather than what is needed to provide a top tier education.

Good stuff - Spoken like someone who works on a college campus.

His point was that academic standards are dropping because parents of the smartest kids aren't spending $65K a year and Wake is pursuing the richest kids who may or may not be the brightest kids.

The High Point U Model.

PH- unless your student really wants out of FL or Wake backs up a Brinks truck send her to UF.

this thread makes me sad. truth hurts. mrs and i both went there but i really couldn't get my head around encouraging any of our kids to go. simply not worth it...

His point was that academic standards are dropping because parents of the smartest kids aren't spending $65K a year and Wake is pursuing the richest kids who may or may not be the brightest kids.

So now we are Elon?

I don't think there is any evidence that academic standards are dropping. I wrote a recommendation letter last year for the daughter of a friend, who did not get in. She was certainly Wake caliber in my humble opinion. After she was denied, I was told that most 2015 admits had at least 6 AP classes. In the meantime, the girl enrolled at a high caliber small private college in PA and had a 3.75 her first semester.

Buttermaker the new way this board operates is too confusing to me as a old guy and Wake has literally sucked every bit of life out of me. Have to spend my time where I get some return. I don't recognize anything about my school anymore. It is a soulless university that looks way too much like Duke minus the successful sports programs. We have a president and AD that when asked what is going on, serves up a double shit sandwich and tells everyone its caviar. They can kiss my ass.

You just spoke directly to my heart. At least I am less concerned with how I am going to pay to send my kids to Mother So Dear.

Everything about Wake is turning into a joke, hence this latest plea for money...a perfect fit.

As someone who never attended MSD but has lived in Winston and surrounding areas in the South my whole life, I can say that Wake has zero reputation amongst the 30 and under crowd for anything, anywhere.

It's not considered a cool school, great school, good value school, sports school, frat school, party school, etc. Its a good education but there are better options all around. There is zero identity.
LOL...yep. The more they try to create an identity, the more it goes away. It's like they're completely unaware of what the school actually is.

I agree that tuition is getting out of control and this is making Wake inaccessible to many qualified students, but is there any evidence that academic standards are dropping besides #noSAT? Also, I don't entirely agree with the concern of losing NC students to UNC because that concern is predicated on some notion that Wake exists primarily to serve NC students. If this is the argument that you're going to make, then you need to expand it out to every public university because Wake draws students from all over the country. How big of a problem is this for BC, Vandy, etc. in their respective states?

ETA: Not that I disagree with the argument; it's more that I think making it NC-centric is problematic.

Wake used to be need blind for admissions. No longer. Kids whose parents can pay full fare have a much better chance of getting in. That has to impact academic standards and admissions qualifications.

Wow. There are a lot of people who feel the same as I do about Wake. The administration should issue some sort of apologetic follow-up to that solicitation. Those in charge have spent too much time reading their own press clippings and are quickly losing touch with an important group of sustainers. I feel sorry for those who are getting suckered into remaining loyal to an institution that is so out-of-touch with what makes one Proud to be a Deacon.

Yeah I spent two terms on the board of visitors (which is no big deal, but does require a decent financial commitment), partly because my older son was at Wake for part of that time so it gave me an excuse to visit and partly because I had fond memories of attending from 78 until 82. Suffice it to say that the more you know about the current WFU (wildly bloated administration, student kangaroo courts, leftist intolerant humanities faculty, aggressively hostile attitude toward fraternities, you name it--the same thing that is going on at Duke, Amherst and the like), the less you like it. I quit in disgust and won't be making any further contributions. I'm sorry for what I did contribute, frankly.

Judging by alumni events I've attended, there are plenty of people who disagree with the sentiment of this thread and do so with their checkbooks. Thus, a self-replenishing beast is born.

I, for one, am not one of those people. If I was a parent of a 16/17 year-old, I would actively discourage them from even applying to WFU.

I'm going to an upcoming Wake Will and I'm curious about the true believers.

I'm going to an upcoming Wake Will and I'm curious about the true believers.

Let us know if Dr. Hatch fields questions. The two Wake Will events that I went to, he did not.
Part of the Wake Will campaign is well attended to increase the scholarship fund so that more middle and lower class kids can get a full or partial ride. That is all well and good. The part I choke on is all the non-classroom based folks that have been hired under Hatch. For the last 20 years universities have all become bloated funded by students who blindly paid for their education via student loan debt. So Wake and others must now deal with a "new normal" of financing the school and all its bloat. One way is to recruit more rich kids, another way is to encourage grateful alumni to create scholarship funds, and a third way is to cut the bloat and eliminate assistant deans of sidewalks, etc

This thread is depressing but at least it is comforting that plenty of folks see that the Emperor has no clothes and Hatch and Wellman have destroyed everything that was once great about Wake. It is nothing now but a crummy 1 percent snobatorium. I'm going to trade my Wake gear for Wake Tech gear.

Did they take down the facebook post? Hilarious if so.

My experience has been quite different from many (all?) of those on this thread, so I decided to look into the numbers a bit, particularly the claim that admissions standards have decreased and students from North Carolina are not applying to Wake. I compared 2015 to 2005, to provide a 10 year comparison.

In 2005, there were 7,494 applications (a record number at that time) and 38% were accepted.
In 2015 there were 13,282 applications and 29% were accepted.

The number of applicants from North Carolina has increased 52%, per the site below discussing admissions policies.

Here are the sites from which I obtained data:
http://archive.magazine.wfu.edu/archive/wfm.2005.09.pdf
http://admissions.wfu.edu/facts/
http://rethinkingadmissions.wfu.edu/q_and_a.php

Back