• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

London attack

Do Muslims kill at a higher rate than other religions? What is your justification for "extra bad?"

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the undergraduates in your department have private sector employment at graduation?

Do Muslims kill at a higher rate than other religions? What is your justification for "extra bad?"

I don't see a lot of other religions with people killing in the name of their religion these days. If you have examples to the contrary please share. Sure if you tally up the body counts over the centuries they are all equally culpable but it appears to me that Islam stands out in the last 30 or so years. Having said that, I'd happily eradicate all religions if I could. I think they do far more harm than good, except maybe Zen Buddhism.

I think Muslims kill at a higher rate than other religions in the name of religion.

Do you have evidence that the most religious Muslims are committing these attacks?

"Killing in the name of religion" is a canard. Do you think those people willing to kill would be less likely to kill if they weren't Muslim? Do you think your average Christian would be more likely to kill if they were Muslim instead?

The two biggest problems in the world re:terrorism are Saudi Arabia and Trump. The Saudis fund massive amounts of extremists and we say nothing. Twenty-five years ago, we needed Saudi oil. We don't need it any more. It's time to stand up to that regime of hate and oppression. They should be shown to be the pariahs they are. Trump's never ending stream of hate and bigotry towards Islam makes a bad situation much, much worse.

You can't compare what happens in Europe to our problems. They are completely different. It's highly unlikely we'll ever have the problems Europe does. The reason is very simple. Muslims in Europe are fairly segregated from society. There are virtual ghettos in many countries. Much of the terrorism isn't about religion. It's about opportunity. In the US, second generation Muslims go to college and get professional degrees at higher rates than white people in our country. In Europe, not only doesn't this happen, but Muslims have higher rates of unemployment than the general population. This is a root cause of violence.

The fact that more people have died at the hands of white supremacy terrorists in the US than at the hands of Muslim terrorists since 2002 shows that's it not necessarily about faith.

In the Middle East, it's also about poverty and our outrageous and immoral invasion and occupation of Iraq. Even further back, millions of Muslims were outraged at Daddy Bush putting our troops in the Holy Land of Saudi Arabia. What would Catholics say if there were armed Muslim troops controlling portions of the Vatican and Rome?

Don't get me wrong. There are really bad Muslims, but there are really people of a lot of faiths.

Do you have evidence that the most religious Muslims are committing these attacks?

"Killing in the name of religion" is a canard. Do you think those people willing to kill would be less likely to kill if they weren't Muslim? Do you think your average Christian would be more likely to kill if they were Muslim instead?

I am not really sure where you are going with this. It seems like a distraction and denialism to say there isn't a problem with in certain branches of Islam. They use their infallible god to justify their actions. Sure their economic conditions and psychological state is the underlying factor, but when your religion tells you it's ok to use violence and not only that but that Allah will give virgins as a reward, the conflict of "I want to kill but killing is bad," is taken away. Any ideology that permits the intellectual space to justify this type of behavior is a problem.

To answer your questions, no, yes and yes.

Obama took back almost all the land ISIS (run by a general W fired, jailed and then freed) had taken. They were definitely on the run when he left office. Since th, Trump has helped them immensely. There is no way those two facts.

Do you understand what a "sanctuary city" is? I'd like to hear you definition.

f1d936041c0d82d5f58fbfee027fe459.jpg

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the undergraduates in your department have private sector employment at graduation?

That's a great question. I don't see PH's posts, so I don't know whether or not he has answered it....but from what I know about PH, his view is probably that the government is a cow to be milked and most of his sociology grads probably head in that direction.

And along that line, it would be interesting to know what percentage of all of the under-30 liberals posting on these boards are employed in the private sector. I would guess that this number would also be a low percentage.

Oh haven't read all the posts yet but I assume the republicans here loudly condemned Trump for politicizing the attack before he even tweeted an offer of assistance

By the way....for anyone who criticizes President Trump for "politicizing" these attacks: Everything about these attacks is political, and it's damned time for everyone to understand this and start being concerned about the attacks and the radical religion they represent rather than bitching about someone pointing out the gravity & reality of the situation.

Stop the damned appeasement of evil.

When are our alt-right nationalist Christian heroes going to take the fight to the Islamic world? When will they start driving trucks into crowds in Mecca? Step up.

I wonder what BKF's plan is to stop random terror attacks. Ban Muslims from being in the country? If born there, kick them out and if not in the country, bar them from entering on the basis of religion?

Back