• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Looney surprise

this is phenomenal for both Wake and Joe! Way to go, Looney!

Did anyone see this coming? I knew Looney was talented but had no idea he would get national recognition. This is awesome!

Looney a Mid-Season All-American (per ESPN)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7091178/midseason-all-americans-college-football

Guard
Joe Looney, Wake Forest
The school with the smallest enrollment among FBS schools has one of the sport's biggest offensive lines. The Demon Deacons' five offensive linemen weigh an average of 314 pounds, and Looney is one of the biggest at 320. He was the team's highest-rated lineman in each of the first five games and leads in knockdown blocks during a 4-1 start.

Interesting!

Though I hate the way that at skill positions they tend to choose "name" players over actual results....i.e. Blackmon at WR when there are plenty of receivers with better stats in equal time.

Thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7091178/midseason-all-americans-college-football

Interesting!

Though I hate the way that at skill positions they tend to choose "name" players over actual results....i.e. Blackmon at WR when there are plenty of receivers with better stats in equal time.

Thoughts?

I don't disagree the media gets all hot and bothered with particular players and tends to overlook things in the process, so your statement is definitely true in some regards. Part of why it is like that though is the way skill players are judged/graded/evaluated. With offensive linemen in particular talent and performance are evaluated on achievement of assignment. So its relatively easy to distinguish a high caliber player from not. (If a player consistently grades very high against any competition... hes good). Very straightforward. The rest of the positions are a little more difficult. A receiver's "assignment" is to run a route (unless hes blocking... which we'll ignore here). But we evaluate skill players far more on their stats... (catches, rushes, yards from scrimmage etc...) and their intangibles (size, speed, how defenses change to adjust for them, blah, blah) than on their execution. But at the end of the day the stats skill players put up are highly dependent on other players on the field (on both teams). You can run a perfect route and the QB can throw a perfectly accurate well timed pass. But if the DB makes a perfect break and gets a finger tip on it. No completion, no catch, even though everyone did a perfect job... This obviously can be turned into a million different examples. The whole long-winded point is that it is relatively easy to ID OL players that are good even if you didn't know they were supposed to be just by looking at their grades vs who they've played, and there are a lot more blurred edges with skill players. Players who have been evaluated as elite in the past (Blackmon, who is a freak and is probably deserving) are going to stay there unless they show with some consistency they've fallen off, or until someone has shown sustained production to be worthy of taking that spot.

Yea missed this one....Kept searching for ESPN All-American, midseason, etc...

Guess I should have searched for Looney Surprise instead

Meanwhile over on IC they're whinning because Jones isn't one of the WRs...Heck he isn't the best WR in this state...

Why is it that we have so many great offensive linemen (justice, vallos, clabo, looney, etc) but we always have such big issues with the play of our line?

I wonder how they know that Looney graded out the highest of anybody on our team in all the games. That's not just public info is it? Odd.

Why is it that we have so many great offensive linemen (justice, vallos, clabo, looney, etc) but we always have such big issues with the play of our line?

I wouldn't say always -- if anything, our O-line was a strength earlier in Grobo's tenure. It's really only the past four years that it's been a real weakness.

Back