• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Loren Woods: What happened with that guy?

He told me that I was unhappy and should transfer somewhere else too. Oh how I wish I had listened.

He actually had a pretty solid freshman year, especially for a true center who played behind Duncan.

I seem to recall a story about Woods ignoring Odom one day in the clubhouse while playing playstation and Odom picking the playstation up and throwing it across the room. Woods is the reason I rooted for Duke over Arizona in the NC in 2001. I couldn't bear to see Woods get a championship. He was so unpleasant in every interaction I had with him at Wake.

[rj]not only did odom throw woods's playstation, but he also pissed on woods's pillow[/rj]

He was a huge pussy and a headcase. Not a good combo. Plus he was TD 2.0 in his mind and Stan King 2.0 in real life.

I get your point but Stan was loved by all at WF. His personality and affability were great. But yeah, I think he averaged more fouls per game than points. But I would take 5 Stan Kings over 1 Loren Woods as a teammate.

Loren played HS ball with Chris Carrawell. I recall an interview with Carrawell where he said that when Wake was recruiting Woods, we showed no interest in him (Carrawell) - Carrawell went on to imply that, had we recruited him, he would have been interested in coming here.

He actually had a pretty solid freshman year, especially for a true center who played behind Duncan.

He did.

He claimed that there was pressure on him following Duncan but I felt a lot of that was pressure he put on himself. I think if he had been in better shape from the head up he could have been a very good player but he had too many issues. He actually played really well against Duke in the 2001 Championship game and I remember a lot being made that he had faced Duke before when he was at Wake.

Never heard that. I'll add him to the mid-90s "should've been" team with McIntrye and Harpring.

I always find it interesting to speculate what some of these stories would've been like had they occurred in the age of ubiquitous social media and 24-hour sports news. Would it have played out differently, either better or worse?

I get your point but Stan was loved by all at WF. His personality and affability were great. But yeah, I think he averaged more fouls per game than points. But I would take 5 Stan Kings over 1 Loren Woods as a teammate.

Not a knock on Stan. He gave WFU all he had. But skill wise, woods was closer to Stan than TD.

Unlike Harpring or McIntire, Carrawell was a top tier recruit. Count me as another that this is the first time I've heard of Carrawell's supposed interest in WFU. Even if we had recruited, no way we sign him. Over the years we've had spurts where we'd beat Duke on the floor periodically, we never beat them for recruits, certainly not back in the 90s when K was at the height of his recruiting power.

He was a player who would get you about 12 pts per game and 7 rebounds, not great numbers but could contribute. Just had to follow TD and his numbers don't add. Coaches told me after he had left that they felt like they made some mistakes in handling him at Wake but that he had some issues also.

Huh? Loren Woods was a second round NBA draft pick who played six years in the NBA. 13 pts and 7 boards were his average college stats. He's a lot closer to Tim Duncan than Stan King, who couldn't even get on the court.

I was in Amsterdam back around 2005. We were going to a few bars in the city. All of a sudden we come out of a particular bar in Amsterdam, and Loren Woods is in the streets with a couple of friends. The guy is 7'1", so he stands out especially in Amsterdam. I knew his girlfriend at Wake and had met him a few times, so I went up and talked to him. He told me he was playing in Europe at the time. It sounded like he was enjoying being in Europe. I know he got a bad rap for being a head case on the court, but I always found him to be a nice guy. I just think Wake wasn't the right fit for him, which I understand. Have you seen the chicks in Arizona? Not too shabby.

It's also kind of ironic that my level is "Joe Amonett" right now as I posted the last comment on Loren Woods since they were known to have come to blows in practice and didn't really get along.

On top of all that, Odom made him go to class. Tipping point.

So, basically it sounds like he said that he didn't fit in with the Wake Forest environment and he needed to transfer. Ha, I wonder how playing in Lebanon is working out for him?

Back